got ethical husbandry?

King Baby’s 1st Tank Ev-uh

Fred720

Supporting Member
*Post is broken up into multiple parts as the website kept flagging my message as spam and wouldn’t let me post. This seemed to solve it.*

Greetings Superior Reefers,

As can be gathered from the title this will be my first go at not only a reef tank but any kind of aquarium. I began this journey about a year ago. Watching hours and hours of predominantly BRS videos and like content on YouTube to build up my knowledge for this feat. I’ll list all of my current equipment beneath with its condition and commercial link. Each item/topic will be numbered so if any of you so choose to respond you can simply list the number instead of having to quote and go back. Also, this post is with the mind of creating a sand bed “mixed reef” tank with fishes, corals, etc but we’ll see how that goes.

Numero Uno - The Tank

125 Gallon

48” length 24” width 24” height

4 drilled holes in the bottom

Two overflow towers on the back wall of the tank that cover two sets of different sized holes each. One appears to be 1.5” the other 1.75” (hastily measured with a regular tape measure so not 100% accurate)

There is what I believe to be coralline algae on the overflow towers and some more white looking growth. Should I scrub it all off or leave it? I believe I’ve heard that you can simply drop crushed up coralline in your tank and it’ll grow.

Acquired from Craigslist a year ago. Was up and running a couple days before I picked it up. But has been sitting in my room in San Francisco since. I’m aware I need to water/leak test it before filling her up. Best way to do that?

2. Enter Sandman

80lbs Carib Sea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-lb-special-grade-arag-alive-reef-sand.html

I don’t have much to say here…should I have more or less sand? Otherwise let me know your thoughts.

3. Lighting

Only Light - Kessil AP-700

https://aquariumplants.com/kessil-ap700-led-saltwater/

This is the only light I currently have. Received this with the above listed tank from Craigslist. Plugged it in and seems to still work. Couldn’t get the software/app to work on my trial run of plugging it in. Assume this is fine as is or at least for the first couple months as I establish my tank.

4. Duh Sump

Sump - EShopps RS-200 sump

https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-RS-200-Reef-Sump-gallons/dp/B001K5JGKY

I believe I have the 2nd generation model (Amazon link is the correct sump). I also received this sump from the same Craigslist posting as the Tank and Light. This model has filter socks but I’m very intrigued by filter/fleece rollers and would rather go that way. I’m open to just about any proven (professionally or personally) product/equipment piece if it’s under $400 or so.

5. Return Pump/s

A pair of Syncra Silent 3.0 (714gph)

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-3-0-pump-714-gph.html

Don’t recall where I got these but they’re new in the box. Since the tank is already drilled I was thinking of running two return pumps with an overflow and emergency overflow.

Do these have enough head pressure (4-5ft rise from sump to tank) or would I need to beef them up?

6. Protein Skimmer

ConeS CO-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquamaxx-cones-co-1-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html

Specification Sheet states

175gal - light bio load
120gal - medium bio load
Up to 90 gal - heavy bio load

I don’t believe that a protein skimmer is super important at this juncture as there isn’t much of a necessity for such. Ie since I have no life in the tank there’s no waste or food to clean out. But the skimmer may become more important later unless that is I go with a fleece roller as that will almost remove the need for a skimmer, correct or?

7. Ze Flow

TWO Gyre 300 Series -XF330 Pump (2350gph) with Controller

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/2x-gyre-xf330-pumps-with-controller-2350-gph-maxspect.html

I picked these up from BRS and they’ll arrive at my domicile today. Hopefully I don’t look like a fool as these seem more than adequate for myself, at least for now. Let me know your thoughts. I also have two 6015 NanoStreams (475gph), I received these with my protein skimmer.

8. Salty Dog

he-Marinemix Reefer Sea Salt 20kg/160gal

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hw-marinemix-reefer-salt-mix.html

Salt has been sitting for about a year. At the time this appeared to be one of the top options. By no means am I attached to this salt and would readily and gladly purchase more/differing salt if there is far greater benefits as opposed to Marinemix. If so, I’d be happy to unload this salt to a member here.

9. Rockin It

MarcoRock brand

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/medium-foundation-reef-saver-dry-live-rock-marco-rocks.html

Spent some time and made my own aquascape. There’s currently one cave and another cavernous place for hiding and such. Don’t know how it is or if it needs more habitat. But neither do you I suppose since I don’t have a stock list or anything.

The tank will be in the closet of my bedroom. It’ll receive no direct sunlight and very little ambient light as I’ll keep the doors closed.

I know everyone has their own preferences on a myriad of things but I’m looking more for general guidance at the moment. We can get down and dirty in the details once we reach that stage. Thank anyone who took the time to read my post. Below are pictures the tank aquascape and one of me dog. I look forward to this process.

Front of Tank
17B533BE-0D39-4F2F-B170-AA63AE930D22.jpeg

Aquascape front
D70B958F-CB33-423A-9E9B-8D9F68911874.jpeg

Aquascape overhead
AF0D5570-628F-483B-BDD3-02C56DA23EA7.jpeg

Empty cabinet
5E6F1E80-BFB8-4269-B717-77A2CA0DA408.jpeg

Tank/cabinet holes
3A567788-1023-40EC-B29F-85894456059C.jpeg

Cabinet with sump in. There is an additional 3” on the left 14” on the right 9” to the front and 15” of space above the sump. I’m very much interested in shelling out the money now and doing cepex valves and hard plumbing. Should I order them offline or hit up one of the many specialty plumbing stores here in SF? Really looking forward to local insight on material gathering.
257DCAED-BB54-4B71-8671-78DB4D4575CA.jpeg

Left Tower
28E678CF-79FC-4E68-8A55-C0208DE38834.jpeg

Inside left tower
2E7F1BA6-9D93-49EF-90C4-C75EB3F4BBB6.jpeg

Right tower
5E12E662-DBBD-4F0D-9AAE-3435519A8FEA.jpeg

Inside right tower
19047BD9-E059-484F-921A-9836355DB31F.jpeg

May need an exhaust fan if keeping in a closet with doors closed
Nice start so far. I’m in sf too if you need help
Oh word, didn’t even think about that. For air turnover or what’s the main thing? Moisture escaping? Doesn’t the power heads/pumps create air bubbles and oxygenate the water? Not questioning you at all just genuinely curious.

Oh word, didn’t even think about that. For air turnover or what’s the main thing? Moisture escaping? Doesn’t the power heads/pumps create air bubbles and oxygenate the water? Not questioning you at all just genuinely curious.
Extra humidity in sf is not good for your home, it’s already pretty humid almost always, and evaporation will add more than you want. It can also be an electrical fire danger if you get condensation in the wrong places which can more likely happen if it’s cold.

Welcome to the hobby!! You may want to install a waterproof membrane below that comes up a couple inches. Just by routine maintenance on pumps/skimmers etc water does splash around. Water sensors when the water gets to low or to high pumps will shut down. If power is turned off make sure sump can handle excess water draining from the main display at normal operation. Battery/ generator back ups for power outages. I lost power yesterday for several hours so tossed in a couple battery air pumps that saved all my fish. Just a few tips and Im sure their will be many more headed your way from other members.
Best to great success!!
Paul

Humid environment
you will grow mold!
From your pics the color of the wood plus hinges looks like the previous owner had moisture issues which is common. A couple air vents for cross flow will help alot with small fan if needed. Keep things simple try not to overthink can modify as you step up the hobby depending on your choice of corals/fish and their needs.

There is what I believe to be coralline algae on the overflow towers and some more white looking growth. Should I scrub it all off or leave it? I believe I’ve heard that you can simply drop crushed up coralline in your tank and it’ll grow.
If you would like to have a fresh clean tank when starting out, you can clean that old coraline algae from the overflow towers using dilute muriatic acid. It works super fast. Just spray it on and wait 10 minutes then wipe all the dead coraline off. You can get muriatic acid (HCl) from pool supply stores or at Lowes. Just be careful to use PPE, esp for your eyes. It's a very caustic acid.
If you want to be safe then just use undiluted vinegar and soak the affected area overnight and you should be able to scrape it off without too much effort.
I personally would clean it off. It looks nice to have a black background for as long as you can keep it black. It looks like the back glass is clear. You can make it black by just placing a piece of black cardboard behind it or better yet use black a black wrap on the back. That way you can remove it if you don't like it. Some people just paint the glass black but that might scratch over time.
Great job on the aquascape too. I like the multiple flat areas to place your frags.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

You're not too far in yet with plumbing and setup, couldn't hurt to coat the inside of the stand with a coat of mold killing primer and top it off with a moisture resistant paint. Splashes and humidity are inevitable!

If you would like to have a fresh clean tank when starting out, you can clean that old coraline algae from the overflow towers using dilute muriatic acid. It works super fast. Just spray it on and wait 10 minutes then wipe all the dead coraline off. You can get muriatic acid (HCl) from pool supply stores or at Lowes. Just be careful to use PPE, esp for your eyes. It's a very caustic acid.
If you want to be safe then just use undiluted vinegar and soak the affected area overnight and you should be able to scrape it off without too much effort.
I wouldn't recommend muriatic acid to anyone. Stick with vinegar or citric acid. Way less likely to hurt yourself, people or animals around you, or your things. That is a super strong acid which requires specialized knowledge to handle and use safely.

There’s a big difference in concentration between what you find a most hardware stores and what you can get at a pool supply store. But I agree. No need for it here. Just leave the old coraline. New stuff will grow over it.

Back