got ethical husbandry?

L&B’s new red sea 250

Tank update October 11.

Been awhile since the last one. Lots of action in the cabinet -trying to get cords better organized-I realize it would offend some aesthetics but it would be nice if manufacturers would use some crazy patterns on their cords! I have prob 20-30 cords-all black!

Added is a new Red Sea doser and a one link module for the Neptune. This cuts down the number of cords passing back and forth and the Neptune power bar seems to have an issue if I plug in all the 1link connections.

It is cheaper to simply get the module then replace the whole energy bar. I am finding that I like the Red Sea dosers over Neptune. They seem more reliable, little less expensive. I do miss the ability to daisy chain Neptune modules without the additional power plugs necessary.

So now with the doser for the doserator-up to 4 dosers!!! Almost all heads (9 total) in use except one-

I do wonder how many devices the average reefer uses on their “main tank”
I am now up to:

For the display;

2 lights (Red Sea led 90’s)
3 circulation pumps
Avast feeder and tube (has a sicce pump)

For the support:
Roller mat
Protein skimmer
4 dosers
Return pump
ATO
Solent valve
Cartridge with CO2 absorptive material
Nano pump for refugium (offline due to no more electrical outlets!)
Mini fridge
Pump to flush line
Neptune controller

Lastly near the end of the fallow period -looking forward to start loading up some fish from HTA!

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 67
Update dec 2023 -
Well the great no water change experiment has come to an end-I think I did a bunch back in early August after my fish die off and then didn’t do any at all for most of September-and then nothing Oct/Nov. A recent ICP test showed some depletions in zinc and a couple of other minor trace elements even though they were being dosed in. Also the salinity was on the higher side (36 ppt).
See though once I get everything back in order if I can at least reduce the amount of water I need.

Tank is nearly restocked in fish- corals on the whole looking ok. Just enjoying the view.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.png
    IMG_0147.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 54
I could probably deliver you some salt water every 2 or 4 weeks if it helped simplify things for you since I’m out there every 2 weeks
You are too kind @Coral reefer -but I am good. It was an intentional experiment of no water changes and using ICP testing as a way to monitor that concept. Based on the ICP results-I will revert back to weekly water changes (possibly daily small changes of 1.25 gallon)

With HTA right up the street -no problem at all.

Remember even if you have accurate ICP data, you can only add back, not remove.

Water changes are still the only way to export certain unwanted chemicals.

Remember even if you have accurate ICP data, you can only add back, not remove.

Water changes are still the only way to export certain unwanted chemicals.
It wasn’t an export issue-well except for the extra salt. More of an import issue-low on zinc and a couple of trace elements -even though they were still being dosed.

Even then corals were looking pretty good but don’t want to push the envelope.

Back