Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Leemar Starphire 290

Guest
Joined
Jul 3, 2015
Messages
127
Kris, it made me sad to hear about your tank troubles. FWIW, your tank still looks great. It's hard to imagine that all those coral skeletons came out of your tank. I hope the corals will grow back fast.

& congrats on passing probation. That's huge!
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
Man Kris, I know how it feels to see a coral that looked healthy and vibrant slowly melt away, starting at the tips, then further down the body... I've seen that a couple times too many, it's painful. But what can you do but what you did, remove the ugly death and move stuff around and call it new.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
5,655
I kind of like the stand of the empty frag tank, camaro, nova, something ss with a rag top?
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2014
Messages
2,262
Wow that was very cool! My favorite parts might be the changing levels during water change and your efficient maintenance of what I think is a reactor. And your beautiful tank shots with swimming fish at the beginning.
Also gives me some ideas for students to try who take a media/video class from another teacher and how they create some reef tank productions.
By the way, your overall setup and garage space looks great!
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
I kind of like the stand of the empty frag tank, camaro, nova, something ss with a rag top?

LOL! Future frag tank. It's a 69 Cougar XR7. ;) The next project.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Wow that was very cool! My favorite parts might be the changing levels during water change and your efficient maintenance of what I think is a reactor. And your beautiful tank shots with swimming fish at the beginning.
Also gives me some ideas for students to try who take a media/video class from another teacher and how they create some reef tank productions.
By the way, your overall setup and garage space looks great!

Thank you! There is a lot to learn from a reef aquarium. I applaud you for taking it on for your students.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,014
Always keep me in mind kris. I can likely be at your house w 100 gal of water within an hour if you have a big problem.
And by the way, the tabling acro is from JAR as well.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Always keep me in mind kris. I can likely be at your house w 100 gal of water within an hour if you have a big problem.
And by the way, the tabling acro is from JAR as well.

Thanks Mike. I'm bad at asking for help. I'm stubborn that way. Appreciate it though, I may take you up on it in the future.

That is such a nice acro. Didn't realize it originated with JAR. Very cool.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
That is why your tank will always look better than mine, there is no way I can spend 7 hours on a tank unless I'm either a) setting it up or b) trying to fix a major problem. I hang over the edge of my tank spend 30 minutes cleaning inside and my back is already aching.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
235
Excellent video Kris,

What a beautiful reef you have. Very sad for what was lost, but imagine how many will never have seen such a thing at all, let alone in their homes.
Congratulations!

John
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
...

Tank day today. Decided to try and film it. It turned out kinda cool. Hope you like it.
Great video!
I am going to have to share that with my friends that keep asking if it is "easy."

Although agree with Mike. That is why my tank only has simple corals and softies.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
That is why your tank will always look better than mine, there is no way I can spend 7 hours on a tank unless I'm either a) setting it up or b) trying to fix a major problem. I hang over the edge of my tank spend 30 minutes cleaning inside and my back is already aching.

LOL! HUGE advantage of having a glass tank for sure. Most of it will get clean with the magnet, and then a run through with a scraper and it's done. Of coarse it is a little easier now that the corals aren't in the way.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Excellent video Kris,

What a beautiful reef you have. Very sad for what was lost, but imagine how many will never have seen such a thing at all, let alone in their homes.
Congratulations!

John

Thank you John. I can't tell you how happy I am that I was able to get a good video of the tank before it crashed. It still brings me great joy, it's just headed in a different direction now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
1,419
Great video!
I am going to have to share that with my friends that keep asking if it is "easy."

Although agree with Mike. That is why my tank only has simple corals and softies.

Ha! Yes, the SPS requires a whole other level of OCD!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
17,384
LOL! HUGE advantage of having a glass tank for sure. Most of it will get clean with the magnet, and then a run through with a scraper and it's done. Of coarse it is a little easier now that the corals aren't in the way.
While I agree glass is easier, and I fondly remember the days of making a razor blade swipe fest... but still 7 hours, no way man, no way :D
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
7,169
I thought that's why you were having your wife grow you a slave laborer!
Don't trust a kid / slave labor with a cleaning magnet.
Got sand in there ... acrylic ... not too bad, but never again.
 
Top