High Tide Aquatics

Let's discuss technologies most of us don't use.

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I'm always curious about technology for our tanks that I've never used. Has anyone used ozone? Seems to have some advantages over UV possibly in that you don't have to change the bulb and the buy-in price is much lower for large tanks.

Need to keep the air dry going into the ozone unit, which can be problematic in the natural humidic (??) area around our tanks, yeah there is moisture absorbing media and some if it you can recharge in the oven, but still is something to consider. Also having a way to vent outside is nice, otherwise need to add carbon somewhere in the mix to absorb any stray ozone that bubbles out. And while it won't kill you like carbon monoxide, it can damage your lungs fairly easily. Personally I don't think it "smells fresh" either, smells like electricity :D

They have these fancy new fangled things called phones that let you talk to far away people. Also, you can send “electronic” mail with them. Not sure Elk Grove is enlightened enough to have such niceties up there yet though...

They have these fancy new fangled things called phones that let you talk to far away people. Also, you can send “electronic” mail with them. Not sure Elk Grove is enlightened enough to have such niceties up there yet though...

Everytime I try to send him an e-mail it spell checks to a normal spelling of his name and won't send. :)

Ozone always seemed like a high maintenance type item.
You need ORP to check it.
You need to replace the carbon correctly.
If things go wrong, effects can be pretty bad.

I tried ozone for a year or so back in San Diego. Had an orp probe on my AquaController to monitor /adjust levels. Was pretty simple to get up and running but didn't notice enough difference in livestock health to keep it going.

Dunno if you follow reefs.com. Afishionado runs it on his aquarium and he also runs a methanol denitrifier. Both of which is old tech but with our new controllers. Makes it very interesting now.

In which way to use Ozone? Is it to “sterilize” in a similar way to those running a UV unit?
I never got to hook up the unit (Red Sea) just for the risk of Ozone at home. Many skimmers on the market have an additional port next to the air intake. I recall that some people use Ozone to make the water ultra clear.

I am a fan of ozone. I use both UV and ozone together, too. Ozone is great for water clarity. I have both redsea and Poseidon but redsea is my go to unit due to efficiency. I flush it out with water to recharge the unit on a yearly basis.

Back