Kessil

Looking for Someone to Overhaul BAR Website

We use GoDaddy / LiquidWeb.
Forum software is XenForo.
Currently at $50/month, and we can afford to go higher if needed, although within reason of course, and pending BOD approval.
Dropping it to $25 is nice, but will not make a noticeable difference to club overall activities,
so if it comes down to a better site versus a bit of money, we would pick a better site.

Do not assume the DBTC data base can be used with simple standard blog/forum software.
Although there are other options on that as well.

I think Ning does what we need it to and has cross platform support. DBTC could be a google sheet IMO. The website would look good.

If we decide to port the forum to new software, I'd recommend that we select one of the most popular forum software options (phpbb?). The major problem I ran into with xenforo is that there are not many people that use it, so it is difficult to find developers that either already know the software or are willing to learn it. Plugins and skins were limited as well and not updated regularly.

Are there specific features that we want to add? I see uploading photos seems to be problematic for many people. Perhaps we need a separate thread for feedback?

If we decide to port the forum to new software, I'd recommend that we select one of the most popular forum software options (phpbb?). The major problem I ran into with xenforo is that there are not many people that use it, so it is difficult to find developers that either already know the software or are willing to learn it. Plugins and skins were limited as well and not updated regularly.

Are there specific features that we want to add? I see uploading photos seems to be problematic for many people. Perhaps we need a separate thread for feedback?
Plugins and skins? The only websites I’ve done were hard coded straight html. Well..., then came Java script..., and jquery..., and php. Does anyone even look at code anymore?

We already have a list. The one I PMd you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We already have a list. The one I PMd you.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. It seemed like those were BOD requests and I think most of them could be handled by themes or rearrangement of content and not really dependent on the forum software. But I do see the pic/video item.

I think Ning does what we need it to and has cross platform support. DBTC could be a google sheet IMO. The website would look good.
Interesting idea about using something like google sheet for DBTC.
We already talked a bit about splitting DBTC from full integration with the site in order to simplify everything.
Key is that DBTC is much more data base like, and not really a fit with blogs/forums.
There are features we want that simply cannot be integrated easily.

Interesting idea about using something like google sheet for DBTC.
We already talked a bit about splitting DBTC from full integration with the site in order to simplify everything.
Key is that DBTC is much more data base like, and not really a fit with blogs/forums.
There are features we want that simply cannot be integrated easily.
Yeah I've done a lot of these things. In general, the simplest solution is cheapest / most robust. None of the interactions we have here are particularly complex... I think out of the box software // Ning // other platform could help get things up and running.

If you want to DM me the requirements I could have a once over. We should be focused on fish, not the web infrastructure.

How are we currently hosting // how much is this per month?

In theory google sheets has reminders.
But in practice, maybe not so much.
Plus, we would need a better API than just raw editing a spreadsheet.

Does anyone know how DBTC data is stored? SQL server?
It seems like someone could write a cron job / script to pretty easily query the server, check date, and send mail.

Back