High Tide Aquatics

Looking to buy 7 fishes I need some advice :)

Hi,
I am kinda hesitant about getting new fishes but I want to have more fishes in my tank.
I wanted to see what you guy's think. I want to buy some fisshes from liveaquaria.com and I was thinking to buy the following:
2 SW - Bicolor Blenny (Sri Lanka) - Medium (I hope I will get a pair) - do you guy's think my red flamehwak fish will kill them once I take them out of quarantine?
1 SW - Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Indonesia) - Medium
1 SW - Royal Gramma Basslet (Caribbean) - Medium

1 SW - Six Line Wrasse (Fiji) - Medium
2 Cardinalfish, Captive-Bred (South Asia) - Medium (I hope I will get a pair)

What do you guys think about this combo?
Also do you think I can quarantine all these fishes in a 10 G tank?

Also maybe it will be a good idea to move the Sailfin Blenny in my frag tank until it will be out of quarantine.

Thank you for the advice :)

remind me of the tank size

I agree the 6-line has a good chance of being a bully that actually kills other fish. Royal Grammas have been known to have mean streak, blennies may not play nice with each other too if the tank is too small.

Most of these fish can be picked up locally, so there’s no need to rush and do everything at once. For smaller fish, I’ve quarantined in 5 gallon buckets and did “tank” transfers every three days for 14 days total to eliminate any chances of ich/brook/velvet. All you need is two buckets, two small preset heaters, and two hang on filters. I also treated with prazipro on transfers 2 and 4 to eliminate flukes. That covers most of the diseases we find in the hobby and sets everyone up for a healthy start.

I’d start with one or two of the blennies, then cardinal fish, royal gramma, and add the six line last.

My experience is that once in your display tank the royal gramma is going to move into a cave and start to defend its home turf. You’ll need enough tank size that everyone else can avoid it. That was one of the first fish I bought and I had to tear my reef apart to get that asshole out after about a year.

I've had bicolor blennies go rogue and eat lps several times... stick with lawnmowers unless you've really got your heart set on the bicolors.

Grammas are great fish, but I've never had one live more than ~2yrs or so, and I'm not talking about tank crashes or anything.

1) What size tank do you have?
2) What are the current fish and inverts in it?
3) Does it have a lid? A tight lid?
4) What corals do you have and what corals are you planning?
5) Do you have sand or no sand?
6) What do you feed and how often?

+1 lawnmower blennies are great.
+1 dottybacks are mean.
+1 never had any problems with six lines

My Lawnmower is in my wrasse tank and I swear he thinks he's a wrasse. He swims in the water column with all the wrasses and eats pellets at the top of the tank out of the feeding ring or in the water column. It's hilarious. He's also the fattest one I've ever had.

1) What size tank do you have?
2) What are the current fish and inverts in it?
3) Does it have a lid? A tight lid?
4) What corals do you have and what corals are you planning?
5) Do you have sand or no sand?
6) What do you feed and how often?

1) My main tank is 75G.
2) I have a few snails and 2 hermit crabs
3) Yup I got a glass lid
4) I have zonas mushrooms, ananome, some gorgonias hammer and frogpawn and nephtea, some digitatas and candy canes. I will have some acros maybe later on.
5) I have sand
6) I feed once a day and sometimes I put some nory and some pallets.
In my main display I have 1 yellow tang, 1 blue tang, 1 clown fish, 1 gobby, 1 red hawkfish.

I also have 1 pair of clowns that I'm traying to see if I can have babies :) they are in one of my 10G frag tank wanna see if I can breed them. :)

Most of these fish can be picked up locally, so there’s no need to rush and do everything at once. For smaller fish, I’ve quarantined in 5 gallon buckets and did “tank” transfers every three days for 14 days total to eliminate any chances of ich/brook/velvet. All you need is two buckets, two small preset heaters, and two hang on filters. I also treated with prazipro on transfers 2 and 4 to eliminate flukes. That covers most of the diseases we find in the hobby and sets everyone up for a healthy start.

I’d start with one or two of the blennies, then cardinal fish, royal gramma, and add the six line last.

My experience is that once in your display tank the royal gramma is going to move into a cave and start to defend its home turf. You’ll need enough tank size that everyone else can avoid it. That was one of the first fish I bought and I had to tear my reef apart to get that asshole out after about a year.

I think I will get like 2 or 3 fishes then, locally and go with the bucket transfer I think.

I see..., so every 3 days move to a new bucket. I am just afraid to move fishes. Won't they get scared and sad in a bucket? Did you had white buckets, black or red? Also you did not have a stone or anything in the bucket?

I think I will get like 2 or 3 fishes then, locally and go with the bucket transfer I think.

I see..., so every 3 days move to a new bucket. I am just afraid to move fishes. Won't they get scared and sad in a bucket? Did you had white buckets, black or red? Also you did not have a stone or anything in the bucket?

Everyone was raving about the quarantine process that Bay Bridge does. Is it really necessary to re-quarantine fish after they've gone through their process? I even heard that some people were wondering how they turned a profit with how thorough their quarantine process was.

Alex is trying to do the right thing, and he has been scared by having bought fish at 6th Avenue.
I think people make good points here. Likely 2 groups for that many fish would be better. You could probably do them all at once if you used say 2 buckets at a time for tank transfer method.
Buying fish that appear healthy and are eating a food you plan to feed them already from reputable sources is not a reason to not qt or do tank transfer method, but it makes it a lot less likely you will have a problem by not doing those steps, and better success while doing those steps if you choose to do so. I would always buy locally over having a fish shipped if possible.

Good plan.
You need TWO of everything, so you can clean and sterilize it.
Bucket + airstone + SMALL heater.
You can throw a couple of PVC 2" elbows in their to make fish happy.
Keep buckets in a quiet spot, dimly lit.
I have never asked them, but they do not appear that sad. :)

Also: Sailfin tangs get big. 6-lines are mean.

No live rock if that’s what you are asking. I throw in some old PVC pipe fittings in the bottom for fish that like to hide. Two sets of pvc pipe so that one set can get cleaned and dried with all the other equipment that isn’t in use. You should check ammonia daily, but it’s unlikely to be an issue since you are putting them in brand new water every three days. I put in a few drops of prime daily just in case there was an ammonia spike for some reason.

I use white buckets. I used to use semi-clear blue buckets, but anything seems to work. The fish seem fine. Frankly, I think they probably feel safer in a bucket than in a glass box magically floating (from their perspective) in my living room.

When I do the transfer I usually use a deli container to get the fish from the old bucket and then dump them out into my hand before putting them in the new bucket. You can use a net or colander, but you want to transfer as little water as possible and be as gentle as you can to the fish. The clowns I just got didn’t seem to mind the transfer at all and practically jumped into the deli containers towards the end of their quarantine.

Here’s a better rundown of the tank transfer method.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

Everyone was raving about the quarantine process that Bay Bridge does. Is it really necessary to re-quarantine fish after they've gone through their process? I even heard that some people were wondering how they turned a profit with how thorough their quarantine process was.

Uhhh, when I asked them about their qt process, the story I got had quite a few holes in it. Does someone else have more info?

Sounded like a few dips on arrival, “there’s copper in the water” with no indication of therapeutic dose, and strong UV (not sure what that’s supposed to treat). They run prazi through their systems periodically as well. Afaik this isn’t enough to be sure the fish don’t carry ich or velvet into their new tank.

Back