High Tide Aquatics

Massive bubble algae bloom (solutions?)

The herbivore ideas are covered above, so I won't rehash that.
Unfortunately no perfect solution.

If algae is exploding, you should look at nutrient reduction.
Agree with Rich that Algae will grow no matter what. But you do want to avoid creating a perfect environment for it.
In particular, check phosphates. Add GFO in a sock if needed.

Another option is tough (easy) plating and encrusting corals, especially in lower areas.
Kill the bubble corals right next to the colony as it grows.
Eventually the coral takes over the rock, leaving no more spots for algae.
Def been getting my nutrients back down for sure. Been using nopox which has been great for nitrates (29 to 9) but phosphate has remained stubbornly high. May have to add GFO for that extra punch down!

Dental tools are really great for stuff like this. :D
Can you expand on which dental tools you find useful for which tasks? They are all so delicate and sharp I’m having trouble imaging it. But there are lots different tools. Pics would be cool if you feel like it.

Can you expand on which dental tools you find useful for which tasks? They are all so delicate and sharp I’m having trouble imaging it. But there are lots different tools. Pics would be cool if you feel like it.
Depends on the set you get and what you are doing them. I have a bucket full, so I often just root around for the one that seems to fit the need

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.55.41 AM.png

I pulled this set from amazon, and the close up shows two that are really good for scraping rock and removing lots of material like algae. I might also use a flat head screwdriver or a small chisel. It really just depends.
Also, critical too is flat needle nose pliers like these
And/or self closing tweezers like these, but I have not used these particular ones

Midway through my treatment for bubble algae

2 weeks in and all of the bubbles have turned white/clear using 4X fluconazole.

No impact to my most sensitive sps (speciosa) or any other for that matter. Lps etc are fine as well

When you say 4x do you mean 4 times the normal dose for bryopsis at once, or 4 treatments, or what? If you have a protocol to share even better.

When you say 4x do you mean 4 times the normal dose for bryopsis at once, or 4 treatments, or what? If you have a protocol to share even better.
Yup. 4x normal prescribed dose for bryopsis.

I personally prefer fluconazole frrom Blue Vet Rx on Amazon. Easy to measure and use

Here's the result 1 week in...
20221018_103358.jpg

Reactions: JVU
As I recall, fluconazole at the “regular” dose does not kill chaeto so refugiums can be left going like normal. Any knowledge about the higher dose? Anything else people say to watch out for?

As I recall, fluconazole at the “regular” dose does not kill chaeto so refugiums can be left going like normal. Any knowledge about the higher dose? Anything else people say to watch out for?
Do you have a secret bubble algae issue, or just asking for a friend?

Do you have a secret bubble algae issue, or just asking for a friend?
Lol no bubble algae problem, and the whole BAR community is the friend I’m asking for :)

Also just out of interest. The way fluconazole works on algae is interesting and totally different from how it is used in medicine.

I got 2 emerald crabs as I have some in very hard to reach places. I just took those readily accessible with dental pick and tweezers.
The problem with the Emerald started once the bubble algae got undercontroll. One started eating my Zoas (always seemed to go for the more expensive/desirable zoas) so off he went.
Couple days ago, I noticed the other one was picking on my mini colony of Maleficent SPS. At first, I thought he was picking off algae but I watched it for awhile and he literally took a chunk of the SPS. Good things I caught it right away and will be rehomed to my buddy's Mangroves tank.
He is a big one as well.
20221019_193935.jpg

I no longer run chaeto in my primary tanks so can't comment. When i did, i ran 2X dose with no issues

I got 2 emerald crabs as I have some in very hard to reach places. I just took those readily accessible with dental pick and tweezers.
The problem with the Emerald started once the bubble algae got undercontroll. One started eating my Zoas (always seemed to go for the more expensive/desirable zoas) so off he went.
Couple days ago, I noticed the other one was picking on my mini colony of Maleficent SPS. At first, I thought he was picking off algae but I watched it for awhile and he literally took a chunk of the SPS. Good things I caught it right away and will be rehomed to my buddy's Mangroves tank.
He is a big one as well.View attachment 42809
That’s a big fella. I have 3. Right now they are going after the sea lettuce that escaped from the refuge and growing on the rocks. I don’t mind as it’s almost as bad if not worse than the bubble algae in terms of smothering corals. Every week I am harvesting off the rocks. Once they tackle that they can for the bubble algae. Def have enough of the two to keep them busy!

However they have made a mockery of my glue techniques with frags as they have knocked off a coral almost every day.

I also picked up an urchin who is perched on the other side of the tank. For about 2 weeks he has not done much except move about 3 inches back and forth on the sandbed. Today he actually moved on a rock. Which is good as B has threatened to eat him if he doesn’t get to work soon!

I don’t keep corals on the sandbed as my tigershark goby just buries them! But it’s good to know about pithos. Currently out of stock but will be notified when they have them.
I got a couple pithos and they eat bubble algae like crazy but are huge and kinda creepy looking. I thought they would be small like a emerald but they are like sally lightfoot size.

Well they're big so they eat a lot. And they eat bubble.

They are slow moving and have tiny little shrimp claws so shouldn't be a threat. Maybe they'll go after coral but I heard if they do it's not to eat but to wear as a hat.

I'll probably have one available in a little bit once they clear my frag out.

Well they're big so they eat a lot. And they eat bubble.

They are slow moving and have tiny little shrimp claws so shouldn't be a threat. Maybe they'll go after coral but I heard if they do it's not to eat but to wear as a hat.

I'll probably have one available in a little bit once they clear my frag out.
How many do you recommend for a 50 gal with a lot of bubble algae!

Incidentally I saw they are available on reef cleaners but it’s a 50 min order which amounts to 9 of the critters! Plus 45 for shipping.

Back