got ethical husbandry?

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

As the counterbalance to that, though it's completely reasonable, the bottled bac folks would say as soon as Ammonia zeroes you're good to go. Probably not good to add acros, but GSP and some fishies.

Read up on your strategy, both options have trade offs.

Can you check for phosphates yet?
you planning on a fish soon? If not, put a little fish food in the tank too to so there is food for other bacteria as well or Phyto to boost the pods. I just snwpped my sump this weekend and have a bunch of pods in the last inch of water if you want to seed your tank.

Last edited:
Can you check for phosphates yet?
you planning on a fish soon? If not, put a little fish food in the tank too to so there is food for other bacteria as well or Phyto to boost the pods. I just snwpped my sump this weekend and have a bunch of pods in the last inch of water if you want to seed your tank.
I have yet to decide on livestock and the amount of time for cycling. I'll probably take it pretty slow. I plan on a few experiments. I appreciate the offer to help seed the aquarium. You are a bit of a drive away though. Maybe next event meetup? Its my birthday this week. Ill be out of town as well.

I have yet to decide on livestock and the amount of time for cycling. I'll probably take it pretty slow. I plan on a few experiments. I appreciate the offer to help seed the aquarium. You are a bit of a drive away though. Maybe next event meetup? Its my birthday this week. Ill be out of town as well.
All good and happy birthday. I think getting a tough fish that doesn't eat all the pods is good as they will help cycle that tank and let the microfauna develop. I always start with clowns because I can't imagine a tank without clowns.

Probably not going to keep a stinky sump around that long, so I'll offer to @rdriggett
@rdriggett I have a little water at the bottom of my old sump full of pods and sand/detritus that migrated down there. It is absolutly clean as I haven't stocked the tank with fish/coral yet and it has been through a full fallow period now for Ick/Velvet. Moving the clowns into the new tank today possibly. It would basically be an ISPF "live sand" activator kit with less volume. Let me know if you want it. I am up in Belmont.

All good and happy birthday. I think getting a tough fish that doesn't eat all the pods is good as they will help cycle that tank and let the microfauna develop. I always start with clowns because I can't imagine a tank without clowns.

Probably not going to keep a stinky sump around that long, so I'll offer to @rdriggett
@rdriggett I have a little water at the bottom of my old sump full of pods and sand/detritus that migrated down there. It is absolutly clean as I haven't stocked the tank with fish/coral yet and it has been through a full fallow period now for Ick/Velvet. Moving the clowns into the new tank today possibly. It would basically be an ISPF "live sand" activator kit with less volume. Let me know if you want it. I am up in Belmont.
I'm cramming for a professional certification that's on Wednesday. Is there any way I could pick them up on my way back from SF to SV?

Measured the PAR today.

Attachments

• skyward aquarium PAR.jpg
    skyward aquarium PAR.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 118
Added the dcp pumps. They are dead silent as advertised. When I power them off they reset to minimum power (not great for herbie overflow). BUT, they are very powerful. Used some dollar tree foamboard to hide all the wires on the side of the tank.
20220525_161819.jpg

20220525_161834.jpg

Attachments

• 20220525_165434.jpg
    20220525_165434.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 115
Tank got up to 85 degrees yesterday with lights in canopy off! Didn't run the central AC either. Trying to decide to keep the air on vs hooking up the old JBJ chiller which I have no space for ethetics wise.

Tank got up to 85 degrees yesterday with lights in canopy off! Didn't run the central AC either. Trying to decide to keep the air on vs hooking up the old JBJ chiller which I have no space for ethetics wise.
Have fans? Was pretty hot yesterday but fans should have you covered. AC cools you and dries the air in the space.

Bummer the pumps reset to minimum, that is BS. What are you going to do? Just deal with it or get different ones?

Have fans? Was pretty hot yesterday but fans should have you covered. AC cools you and dries the air in the space.

Bummer the pumps reset to minimum, that is BS. What are you going to do? Just deal with it or get different ones?
I am very happy with the pumps. They are incredibly strong. I have two of them, so I have enough turnover running at 25%. Because the lights are in the canopy and it is enclosed also with a glass lid. I do not think fans over the sump will be effective enough. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and hookup the chiller even though I REALLY don't want to.

I am very happy with the pumps. They are incredibly strong. I have two of them, so I have enough turnover running at 25%. Because the lights are in the canopy and it is enclosed also with a glass lid. I do not think fans over the sump will be effective enough. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and hookup the chiller even though I REALLY don't want to.
Why the glass over the tank? Mesh Top - easy DIY. Can you take the top off the Canopy to vet heat or add computer fans just to vent heat. Venting the heat can take you REALLY far before you need a chiller on, especially with LEDs vs Metal Halides and T5s.

I regretted my glass top and switched to a DIY mesh lid. Now my evap cooling fan doesnt come on until it's 82-83F in the house!

Added the dcp pumps. They are dead silent as advertised. When I power them off they reset to minimum power (not great for herbie overflow). BUT, they are very powerful. Used some dollar tree foamboard to hide all the wires on the side of the tank.
View attachment 38692

View attachment 38693
Can you clarify what you mean by that reset to the minimum? Do you mean if you set it to say 85%, then pull the power, then turn back on it resets to the minimum (say 50%) and you need to change it again manually? If so that's weird. None of my jebaos, including my DCP and DCW do that. I know with certainty because I manage them through a smart wifi strip and Google Home.

My feeding is "hey Google, main tank coral/fish feeding time", which flips everything off at the power switch, then incrementally turns things back on including my DCP main pump and the DCW I have running my skimmer. They all go back to the setting they were at when turned off.

Even the older DCS I have on a different tank does that.

I'm not sure if there's a way to accidentally disable that, or if you're meaning something different.

Can you clarify what you mean by that reset to the minimum? Do you mean if you set it to say 85%, then pull the power, then turn back on it resets to the minimum (say 50%) and you need to change it again manually? If so that's weird. None of my jebaos, including my DCP and DCW do that. I know with certainty because I manage them through a smart wifi strip and Google Home.

My feeding is "hey Google, main tank coral/fish feeding time", which flips everything off at the power switch, then incrementally turns things back on including my DCP main pump and the DCW I have running my skimmer. They all go back to the setting they were at when turned off.

Even the older DCS I have on a different tank does that.

I'm not sure if there's a way to accidentally disable that, or if you're meaning something different.
My Jebao DCP Sine Wave Water Return Pump (3500). Runs at P027. I think I remember this being the minimum. I did crank it up to 50 or so, but it was really strong. Every time the power shuts off (I use the Kasa Smart Switch) the power reverts back to P027 no matter what I initially set it too. It is a bummer, but it is ok. I run two pumps on minimum settings and it produces pretty ok flow. I also have the Vortech MP40 on minimum. I need to play around with flow though. I feel I am not getting great flow despite. All of my flow is facing the same way. I want to keep everything hidden on the back wall. I can Adjust the Eshopps Loc-Line return jets as needed. I will have a better idea once I aquire some torches and frogspawn. I am on the lookout now. I would like to support some club members instead of just buying from the store. Hopefully at the next Frag swap. I am a bit of a Zoa nerd too. Can't wait to get started. I think I will buy some livestock on Monday. I am a bit worried @Qwiv will be disappointed in my choice of livestock XD. Lets see what happens!

My Jebao DCP Sine Wave Water Return Pump (3500). Runs at P027. I think I remember this being the minimum. I did crank it up to 50 or so, but it was really strong. Every time the power shuts off (I use the Kasa Smart Switch) the power reverts back to P027 no matter what I initially set it too. It is a bummer, but it is ok. I run two pumps on minimum settings and it produces pretty ok flow. I also have the Vortech MP40 on minimum. I need to play around with flow though. I feel I am not getting great flow despite. All of my flow is facing the same way. I want to keep everything hidden on the back wall. I can Adjust the Eshopps Loc-Line return jets as needed. I will have a better idea once I aquire some torches and frogspawn. I am on the lookout now. I would like to support some club members instead of just buying from the store. Hopefully at the next Frag swap. I am a bit of a Zoa nerd too. Can't wait to get started. I think I will buy some livestock on Monday. I am a bit worried @Qwiv will be disappointed in my choice of livestock XD. Lets see what happens!
lol, it’s your tank. I hope you gat a salt water croc, that would be sweet.

Back