got ethical husbandry?

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

Testing this rechargeable airpump I got from Amazon for 12 bucks. The thing turns on when it senses power failure. I can plug it into my kasa power strip usb port. It wont take up any outlet space! It also has intermittent mode and space for 2 lines. I think this thing is amazing. I want to run it down the inside of the weir so its not visible and poke it out one of the holes to hide behind the rockwork. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20220609_205110.jpg
    20220609_205110.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 115
Testing this rechargeable airpump I got from Amazon for 12 bucks. The thing turns on when it senses power failure. I can plug it into my kasa power strip usb port. It wont take up any outlet space! It also has intermittent mode and space for 2 lines. I think this thing is amazing. I want to run it down the inside of the weir so its not visible and poke it out one of the holes to hide behind the rockwork. Stay tuned.
Just take the air stone off. It will clog over time.
I have one of these on one of the small tanks

My Jebao DCP Sine Wave Water Return Pump (3500). Runs at P027. I think I remember this being the minimum. I did crank it up to 50 or so, but it was really strong. Every time the power shuts off (I use the Kasa Smart Switch) the power reverts back to P027 no matter what I initially set it too. It is a bummer, but it is ok. I run two pumps on minimum settings and it produces pretty ok flow. I also have the Vortech MP40 on minimum. I need to play around with flow though. I feel I am not getting great flow despite. All of my flow is facing the same way. I want to keep everything hidden on the back wall. I can Adjust the Eshopps Loc-Line return jets as needed. I will have a better idea once I aquire some torches and frogspawn. I am on the lookout now. I would like to support some club members instead of just buying from the store. Hopefully at the next Frag swap. I am a bit of a Zoa nerd too. Can't wait to get started. I think I will buy some livestock on Monday. I am a bit worried @Qwiv will be disappointed in my choice of livestock XD. Lets see what happens!
I'm not sure if there's support for jebao, but if you bought them from Amazon or another place you can return easily, I'd try returning one. That's not normal, afaik. Did you buy used by any chance? Maybe a battery in the controller died or there's a setting somehow flipped funkily.

A mp40 and two return pumps seems like definitely not too little pumps for a 40. Especially if you don't have anemone guards or anything on the mp40 and aren't using a random flow generator on the returns. Both those things reducing flow significantly in my experience. It might be worth trying a random generator to get some flow variety, but that'd mean you want those pumps running at higher values. I'm not sure your placement though.

I'm not sure if there's support for jebao, but if you bought them from Amazon or another place you can return easily, I'd try returning one. That's not normal, afaik. Did you buy used by any chance? Maybe a battery in the controller died or there's a setting somehow flipped funkily.

A mp40 and two return pumps seems like definitely not too little pumps for a 40. Especially if you don't have anemone guards or anything on the mp40 and aren't using a random flow generator on the returns. Both those things reducing flow significantly in my experience. It might be worth trying a random generator to get some flow variety, but that'd mean you want those pumps running at higher values. I'm not sure your placement though.
I think that is a very good assessment. I will continue to tweak as I go. Right now its time to Stock! I believe its still 1 fish a month or don't double your bioload? Talk to you all on Sunday. I need to stop daydreaming and focus on studying for my Cardiac Medicine Subspecialty Certification test on Saturday. I'm going to need all the help I can get. You guys are indulging my procrastination. I have no self control...

First fish in. One of my favorites. Saw her eating pellets at Violet Aquariums. I was very impressed with their facility. She is a petite thing. Should be a long time resident. Went right into the sand after drip acclamation. When can I get my next fish ? Ill keep testing the water over the next week.

20220614_175032.jpg

I have the option to install a roller mat, but I will have to remove my mini refugium space of 6x12x10. Worth it? ........

20220619_195134.jpg

Attachments

• 16556946384956518273071032154963.jpg
    16556946384956518273071032154963.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 81
I have the option to install a roller mat, but I will have to remove my mini refugium space of 6x12x10. Worth it? ........

View attachment 39547
Depends on what you want your sump to accomplish. If you want a refugium for pods etc, I would say no because this will trap any food before it goes in. I also hear they smell, but that is purely anecdotal. If you want to run a low nutrient system, and only feed what the tank eats during feeding time, then sure. Then your sump is more just extra water volume and equipment storage.

When the biota tang was first introduced the fish were at opposite sides of the tank swimming up and down the glass. I was thinking all the epoxy I used on the sump got to them. Went to the LFS to get some snails. When I got back saw they had become the best of buddies. My wrasse has never eaten any algae off the rocks. Looks like his new friend taught him a new trick. More to come!

Tuning the Octo Classic Skimmer has been difficult. At 8.5inch water level the skimmer was still overflowing. Still thinking there is too much residuL chemicals in the tank from the exoxy on the baffles. Tried a Lopez valve to tune the airflow. It appears to be working. Tank is not being dosed with Isosource HN.

20220630_111846.jpg
20220630_103445.jpg

When the biota tang was first introduced the fish were at opposite sides of the tank swimming up and down the glass. I was thinking all the epoxy I used on the sump got to them. Went to the LFS to get some snails. When I got back saw they had become the best of buddies. My wrasse has never eaten any algae off the rocks. Looks like his new friend taught him a new trick. More to come!

Tang looks good! And the leopard wrasse is likely eating pods, not algae lol

As for the skimmer, I had that same one recently in my Red Sea reefer so you should be good at 8.5”. Depending on how much epoxy you used, you may be correct that residuals are throwing the skimmer off. Let it run in the sump with the cup off for a few hours then dial it in come morning. The valve was unnecessary imo, but might as well use it since you now have it lol

Back