High Tide Aquatics

Michael's 168 build

IMG_20220718_095907.jpg

IMG_20220513_184953_01.jpg

Just curious : Do you prune your corals away from each other?
Every time I near that much coral in one spot, one or two corals simply overwhelm the others.
Especially things like plating Montis. Usually the least colorful one wins.

Just curious : Do you prune your corals away from each other?
Every time I near that much coral in one spot, one or two corals simply overwhelm the others.
Especially things like plating Montis. Usually the least colorful one wins.
Yes, whenever there is an sps that is about to grow into another, I make a frag or two.

Yes, whenever there is an sps that is about to grow into another, I make a frag or two.

If there a general guidance of how far sps frag should be apart? Mine is only 4-5 inch apart. It’s not growing very fast, so it will be a while Before they touch. Don’t have too much room in the tank.

If there a general guidance of how far sps frag should be apart? Mine is only 4-5 inch apart. It’s not growing very fast, so it will be a while Before they touch. Don’t have too much room in the tank.
There is no "should" here I think. When the polyps touch, they sting and one wins. It all depends on how often you want to "tend" your garden and how big you want your colony.

I picked up a couple from you and then you threw in a bunch more. All looking good on my end....but I can't see any sign of your coral stash diminishing! Looks great!

Is that a space invader chalice with a stung/skeleton exposed in purple or some kind of mixed green/yellow/purple cross (next to the Duncan colony)?

I picked up a couple from you and then you threw in a bunch more. All looking good on my end....but I can't see any sign of your coral stash diminishing! Looks great!

Is that a space invader chalice with a stung/skeleton exposed in purple or some kind of mixed green/yellow/purple cross (next to the Duncan colony)?
Glad to hear the corals are growing well. Yeah, I keep trying t give/sell as much as possible when people come over, but stuff just grows here. That one is a mummy eye chalice, but you are right that 1/4 of it has a cool purple coloration.

Michael how do you keep your nitrates in check? Do you do any carbon dosing or just water changes?

I dose some vodka shots (2-4) when I feed really heavy, but I don't really test for nitrates regularly enough for it to be useful. I had grand plans of switching dosing pump heads to make it more regular when I switched to the balling method, but I never saw an immediate need, so I never did.

I don't know if my water changes are often or big enough to have any real effect on the water as I rarely change out more than 25 gallons on a 200 gallon system every 2-3 months. My biggest nitrate sink is likely the coral.

Back