Kessil

Moving in from Texas

Thank you. Unfortunately it's not letting me post my real post still.

Edit, swapping three words seems to have advanced me from being totally blocked to awaiting moderator approval.

Hello all,
For now I'm mostly just saying hello so I can get to know you guys. I'm starting a job near Dogpatch next month and will eventually be moving our house from near Dallas, TX. Coming along for the ride will be my ~600 gallon reef, a 300 gallon planted tank, and a couple other big items.

All of this is complicated by not yet knowing where my wife's job will be*, so combined with the cost of housing I suspect we'll be in an apartment (location TBD) for some time. I'm planning to simply tear down/store dry the freshwater tank, but there are a few things in my reef (my first LPS, a 10" clam, some very dear tangs, a few SPS pieces I really like, etc) that I don't want to lose.

While I have a spare 5' 170 out here, I suspect moving it before the rest of the house it may be cost prohibitive, so I'm thinking of trying to find a used 6' tank out there, setting it up with a new controller/pump/some of the lights from my current tank, etc, then flying the important stuff out in a cooler, before an eventual teardown, move, and possibly short term storage of the bigger system. I have a few friends I could leave the fish with here, but the way their tanks are set up we'd never get them back out and I'd end up leaving them here.

Suggestions are welcome.

*If anyone is looking for a MEMS characterization/design engineer with an MS ME and MS EE let me know. She's contacting the usual suspects, but more leads never hurt.

In the mean time, here are two pictures from my tank:
20180820 (Custom).jpg

20k (Custom).jpg

Your post for some reason is awaiting moderator approval. No reason it should be however, as guests can post. I'll go ahead and cut and paste it below till the webmaster gets you on.

Hello all,
For now I'm mostly just saying hello so I can get to know you guys. I'm starting a job near Dogpatch next month and will eventually be moving our house from near Dallas, TX. Coming along for the ride will be my ~600 gallon reef, a 300 gallon planted tank, and a couple other big items.

All of this is complicated by not yet knowing where my wife's job will be*, so combined with the cost of housing I suspect we'll be in an apartment (location TBD) for some time. I'm planning to simply tear down/store dry the freshwater tank, but there are a few things in my reef (my first LPS, a 10" clam, some very dear tangs, a few SPS pieces I really like, etc) that I don't want to lose.

While I have a spare 5' 170 out here, I suspect moving it before the rest of the house it may be cost prohibitive, so I'm thinking of trying to find a used 6' tank out there, setting it up with a new controller/pump/some of the lights from my current tank, etc, then flying the important stuff out in a cooler, before an eventual teardown, move, and possibly short term storage of the bigger system. I have a few friends I could leave the fish with here, but the way their tanks are set up we'd never get them back out and I'd end up leaving them here.

Suggestions are welcome.

*If anyone is looking for a MEMS characterization/design engineer with an MS ME and MS EE let me know. She's contacting the usual suspects, but more leads never hurt.

600 gallon tank, plus 300 gallon tank... oooh boy you are NOT going to like California's electricity rates compared to Texas. Welcome though :)
Not looking forward to that, but at least I'm not running halides or something. It will be nice not having to run a chiller and A/C my house during 100 degree weather, so hopefully that partially covers for it.

Welcome
Dogpatch as in San Francisco?
Big tanks and apertments... but hey it’s possible!

Correct, Dogpatch as in the city near the old piers. I suspect I'll be in a 20-40 minute commute south due to my wife's employment prospects.

[QUOTE="jccaclimber, post: 335736, member: 14852"
Correct, Dogpatch as in the city near the old piers. I suspect I'll be in a 20-40 minute commute south due to my wife's employment prospects.[/QUOTE]

If you live in the city, dogpatch will be a 20-40min commute, if you live outside the city, it will be closer to an hour or more depending on how far south you go.

And welcome to BAR and California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's 40-45 min from dogpatch to Golden Gate Bridge. Nice area tho.
I'm 10-15 min from dogpatch in the excelsior. I have a used 60"x18"x 20"tall acrylic tank you could use temporarily.

Not looking forward to that, but at least I'm not running halides or something. It will be nice not having to run a chiller and A/C my house during 100 degree weather, so hopefully that partially covers for it.
True no A/C... however PG&E (the local power extortionists) know that us San Franciscans don't need A/C either, as a result our baseline (the amount of power the deem we should use) is extremely low. Sometimes it seems like you'll hop into that more expensive tier if you watch too much TV in a given month. Now I have no concept of how much a power bill is with A/C during summer months, but you probably are going to get a sense of sticker shock considering how little power you use elsewhere. No chiller to be certain, but keeping roughly 1000 gallons of water at 10-15 degrees above ambient room temperature is just as bad, halides probably would be power savings when you look at it that way :)

It's 40-45 min from dogpatch to Golden Gate Bridge. Nice area tho.
I'm 10-15 min from dogpatch in the excelsior. I have a used 60"x18"x 20"tall acrylic tank you could use temporarily.

That would be great, I'll keep that in mind as my plans firm up.

How would you rank the commute from say Daly City or South SF to Dogpatch/Mission Bay? The estimate was 30ish minutes by car and 45ish by train. I hadn't considered parking costs, so the train may start looking better.

That seems like a reasonable estimate to me. Daly City and south San Francisco are both pretty close. Driving can be rough, parking likely to be really bad and expensive.

Trying to quote the sfsuphysics post above, but getting an "Internal server error" when doing so. Here is the reply:

Larger house, but my summer electrical bill hit $400 this year without much trouble, usually closer to $300, and that's only cooling the first floor of our house. Given cost of living adjustments I'm anticipating I'd be ok if that went up a bit (not that I won't grumble). I suspect my tank consumes somewhere in the range of 700-900 kW-hrs/month, but other than A/C that is probably the vast majority of my electrical usage.

Right now my tank runs 75-77°F with our house between 72-74°F (winter time house temp) and no lids. I also have my lights down 30% from usual as I combat some algae, so I suspect if I added lids to that, and some insulation around the sump it would jump a couple degrees. Thinking a house temp in the high 60's/low 70's will keep the tank right.

I grew up in the Midwest with my parents being from the Buffalo, NY area, so chilly isn't an issue.

The problem with Dogpatch/Mission Bay is that there are very few ways in by car from outside SF, I think the freeway goes to 2 lanes near there? and when it's busy it is BUSY, combine that with the Golden State Warriors stadium going up over there, and if you are trying to leave on game day you're screwed... also make sure that parking is a possibility for you. San Francisco businesses typically do not have parking available to them, which means parking using public lots and if you think the cost of electricity might scare you... :D

But it all seriousness, take a look into public transportation as well, CalTrain has a stop right next to AT&T park and not sure where exactly you need to go but taking a train in and walking is definitely nicer than driving, and even if it's not walking distance you might be able to take Muni so you're close enough to walk.

Personally I would not live in San Francisco if you can avoid it, while it seems cities outside of SF are up their in price thanks to San Francisco, there are so many intangibles that might make things more desirable outside of working hours. You come from Texas, did you have a large house? (I'm guessing with that much tanks!) did you have a good sized yard? Both of which is practically non-existent in SF and while no where near Texas sized elsewhere is more of a possibility. Did you have trouble parking your car in front of your house? Because that very often is a very real thing in SF, and if you are a 2 car family that's double the fun.

Back