Kessil

Mozby’s 2.0 Reef - Cadlights Artisan II 70G

Damn straight, no sense getting something set up in a weekend or two when you can take years!
Hah! Well thankfully not years, but wouldn't have been able to do it in a weekend or two since I wanted to modify the plumbing and sump and had no clue how to do it. And let's not forget family obligations. Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious to get the tank wet, but I want to do it right and I'm pretty patient with that in mind.

Plumbing was the biggest pain of plumbing my 45G Cadlights setup from a few weeks ago... So good luck on the plumbing! Looks like you have everything you need there.

I finally gave up on some of the parts and used a smaller bulkhead where I could but the return line \ holes are too small at 1/2" so I went with some creative adapting using standard tapered pieces versus the straight threads they use...

Plumbing was the biggest pain of plumbing my 45G Cadlights setup from a few weeks ago... So good luck on the plumbing! Looks like you have everything you need there.

I finally gave up on some of the parts and used a smaller bulkhead where I could but the return line \ holes are too small at 1/2" so I went with some creative adapting using standard tapered pieces versus the straight threads they use...
Ah so you have a cadlights too.... wish I had known... would’ve been nice to exchange notes on the best way to do it. I just used coral vue’s metric to standard adapters and so both the return and emergency drain pipes are 1/2”, which makes me a tad nervous. Guess I’ll find out if it will be ok this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You failed at posting one that day. Just sayin....

Actually I did try to post, but the site was glitchy and kept giving me error messages [emoji2369]. I realize I just posted this response successfully, so I wonder if it’s a website browser vs Tapatalk issue.

Long Overdue Update (PT1)

1. Sump and Plumbing Mod
The month of March was spent modifying the sump and plumbing. The plan for the sump was to create a larger refugium, similar to triton style sumps (i.e. fuge before skimmer).
4d61618550c0e7e3871ec57f257b4e80.jpg

I was fortunate to discover a glass shop merely 5 mins from me and was able to order custom glass baffles for this mod.
41b0cbeca3e53b083e2fc878ab2188ef.jpg
3fb00d445cef4720de6b2c5bb416d5be.jpg

As for plumbing, I wanted to convert the existing flex plumbing to pvc. The headache in this endeavor was having to convert from metric to imperial fittings. This was achieved by using Reef Octopus metric to standard pvc adapters. Additionally, the durso overflow was converted to herbie.
8beeeade78c456d3bc9c5a631caef382.jpg

0baf8c484f9e3e54f65a52b1ce7200e4.jpg

Many thanks to @Rostato for his invaluable help in this project. I could not have done this without his help and have learned a lot in the process. Thank you buddy!

Last edited:
It’s 1-1/4 for the main and 1/2” for the emergency. It’s all we could do. We purposefully undersized the return so that the main valve is nearly closed.

Mozby tested the emergency and it can take the load.

The cadlights plumbing g sucks and the hole sizes are dumb. We just dealt with it.

Post that part 2 already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You know the only reason I had to break it up in parts is because the site is glitchy and wouldn’t let me post it all at once. You going to fix that, webmaster??

It’s 1-1/4 for the main and 1/2” for the emergency. It’s all we could do. We purposefully undersized the return so that the main valve is nearly closed.

Mozby tested the emergency and it can take the load.

The cadlights plumbing g sucks and the hole sizes are dumb. We just dealt with it.
Couldn’t have said it any better, thanks.

Back