Our mission

MP10 shaft damage, should I be worried?

Patio

Supporting Member
You can see at the base of the shaft that some metal has been exposed. Is this something to be worried about?

I went ahead and purchased a new quiet drive mp10 to replace this but was hoping this is something that can be repaired? The quiet drive is considerably quieter but it would be cool if I can still utilize the old one for other needs.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

ICP test shows some tin and iron showing up so I have been looking for culprit/s.

Tin
Sn3.827 µg/l

Iron
Fe4.108 µg/l

Yep it’s a concern. Ecotech shafts rust, plain and simple. There’s plenty of evidence of this and I also had my mp10 shaft rust and cause tons of issues in my tank and of course it’s the last thing I checked since it supposed to be “quality”. Great pump but that shaft needs a rework imo and until then I check out my wet side every other week.

It’s a known issue with ecotech at this point and if you are the original owner with receipt I believe they will send you a replacement if you reach out nicely.

Thank you guys! And I will be sure to take a closer look at the new one when I am doing regular maintenance.

1. If it's rusting I'd replace it, or just start using it in a freshwater tank. Ecotech is pretty good about a lot of things post warranty if you're the original owner, so reach out to them.
2. I ran an MP60 with 1/3 of the ceramic bushing missing for 4 years. I had to stick it on the steel shaft with super glue so it wouldn't spin, but it never did rust (freshwater).
3. Upgrading the controllers is not hard.
4. Once upon a time you could buy just that part rather than an entire wet side, but I'm not sure you can do that anymore.

Back