Cali Kid Corals

must see/must do things in NOLA?

Heading there tomorrow morning for the weekend. I know it's a little late, and we already have a couple of reservations etc but anything that stands out as a must do?

Yes NOLA.com brings up New Orleans and coupled with what Greg said, I think that is safe to assume :lol:

Collect oil?

OK...three things.....

1) Mardi Gras World. Kinda cheesey, but great if you're into photography. It's a giant warehouse that has the last few years Mardi Gras floats and statues in it. You can just wonder around and snap pics of some REALLY bizarre stuff. In the back of the warehouse workers will be working on next years floats. It's very cool and a little off the beaten path. It's across the river from down town and you need to take the ferry. Here's a few shots from when I went (just a sampling as I spent 4 hours just shooting pics.....)

http://s820.photobucket.com/albums/zz123/rhadamenthes/Mardi%20Gras%20World/

2) Not a unique place but at least reliable, Jack Dempseys.

738 Poland Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70117-4724
(504) 943-9914

It's a dive bar and grill with the BEST Po'Boys! Shrimp or crawdad po'boys and some good local beer. Not too far from down town by the navel base. 5 min by cab.

3) Stay away from The Commanders Palace (overpriced and the food was mediocre) in the Garden District and Emril's restaurants as they are just tourist traps. Actually unless you get some recommendations from locals stays away from food in general in the French Quarter.

-Gregory

P1012468.jpg

iCon said:
i thought north of LA .. :D

Could also be North of Lower Alabama. Had to change my thought process on a few things when I moved away from the south.

LA in the south is Lower Alabama (aka the Redneck Riviera Panama City, FL)

USC in the south is University of South Carolina

etc. etc.

[insert jokes here]

haha great comments guys. Sorry, it is New Orleans. I got so used to writing NOLA in my notes to myself/gf that I just use it instead of writing the whole thing. I've thought about Mardi Gras world. I'd love to spend hours shooting there (nice shots btw) but the gf isn't in to the whole picture taking thing. She has a very short attn span.

As much as I've read reviews of Comm. palace, she still wants to go there for brunch on Sunday. And thanks a ton for the rec on Jack Dempsey's

Sorry about the Comm Palace. I was at a conference in NO and had several dinners there. None were very good. The service OTOH was spectacular. STAY AWAY from the Oyster Absinth Dome.......just lots of crust with a licorice (tasted more like Pernod than Absinth) cream sauce, and few if any oysters. The one really good thing on the menu, which doesn't appear to be on there any more (of course!), was a citrus scallop sauté. Get that if it’s on the menu. The desserts were OK. Have two or three of those with cocktails instead......

Oh, and the turtle soup was pretty good.

-Gregolry

Oh I love NOLA! Been there twice and it's a great time. Have to get a Muffaletta sandwich at Central Grocery. Have to get a po boy sandwich at Mothers. I recommend adding debris to your sandwich. Cochon is a great restaraunt if you like pork (hence the name). Jacques Imos is also very good. They have an alligator cheesecake (sounds disgusting but it's actually very good). Make sure to have a hurricane at Pat O'briens on bourbon street and if you like oysters, you'll like ACME. I'm salivating just thinking about all of this!

Oh, no worries Durwin- ACME has been on the list since the beginning. She doesn't love oysters, but if she wants commanders then it was my tradeoff. Mothers was a possibility, one friend recommended it highly. Jacque and Cochon were also maybies, depends how often we end up getting food.

Back