High Tide Aquatics

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

Thank you everyone. So far, the spots are still few and far between. They are there, but only 2-3 spots at a time. I have been keeping the lights off during the day because of the heat, and turning them on in the evenings, just to make sure that the tank doesn't get really hot. Also stepped up the feeding, and everyone is still eating great. The starry blenny has finally stopped dive bombing the sand, and has seemed to relax a bit. Hopefully with good food packed with vitamins, low stress and good water will help everyone pull through. Unless I put them in bins, I can't really get this new tank set up until this stuff clears up =( a serious set back now that the clock is really ticking before we leave.

Finished the mods on the canopy today, just have to put everything back together now. Poor Mike, just sent him a bunch of texts with pics and measurements of the plumbing parts. The larger bulkhead is 1-5/16" to 1-3/8" and the smaller bulkhead is 1-1/8"-1" (I know Jim was asking in earlier posts). Not sure if it helps, I can always upload all the pics with the measurements if you all want.

My little green goby is eating!! And he finally came out if the rock!! I'm so excited! Everyone else is looking better too. Hopefully this is the start of the mend. We will see how everything goes. I'm just glad to see him swim to catch food!

Ich sucks... Glad to hear your little scaled buddies are doin better... I've heard that garlic helps prevent ich I use it it's called garlicguard from seachem.

IM SO SALTY said:
Ich sucks... Glad to hear your little scaled buddies are doin better... I've heard that garlic helps prevent ich I use it it's called garlicguard from seachem.

I have it. Been using to treat their food every time I feed them. The blenny started rolling again on the substrate again last night so we will see how it goes. It really does suck. It happened at a crappy time = / I have to leave at the beginning of June on a road trip that's been planned for almost 2 years. I was hoping to have everyone swapped over for the trip, so I didn't have to worry so much.

Mike came over last night to help with the plumbing (Thanks Mike!!) And we hit another couple of bumps in the road. Gotta modify the stand a bit more before we can plumb it, part of the stand was blocking the drain hole. That **should** be a quick little mod to make though. Then we plan on setting up the tank, starting the cycle, going on our road trip, then come back and set up the old big tank as a hospital tank and treat all the fish.

Here is a quick pic after last night. Finally have a decent portion of my living room back.

Denziltank.jpg

Coral reefer said:
Good to meet you guys, sorry we couldn't get it finished. Hope you can figure out the rest. Let us know if you need more help

No worries! It was good to meet you too! LoL it was even better that we didn't get that tubing xD Plan on going to Ace either tonight or tomorrow. Some time soon, lol that's all I know. Thank you for all your help. I understand the whole plumbing part alot better now. ^.^

Thanks Jim, I'll let Denzil know. I think work may have a kit too, but not sure. Anyways, nothing can be done at this point because I took Denzil to the airport at 5am this morning. He's flying out to Chattanooga for the next week doing some detailing work for a VW press release. Busy busy. See? Even if I wanted to get it set up ASAP, there would be no way I could. Stuff keeps happening that keeps everything dragging. That's OK, though, because I am getting stuff done right this time!

I had doubt after 250 posts and no pics:)
Nice set-up, looking forward seeing everything getting online and dial-in.

euod said:
I had doubt after 250 posts and no pics:)
Nice set-up, looking forward seeing everything getting online and dial-in.

lmao. I am just horrible at remembering to take photos. I wanted to take photos through out this whole process, but I never remember = /

Did some really cool work on the canopy, and should have taken before and afters, but didn't. = /

I should really work on that. Now that photobucket seems easier to use. I just have huge photo files so it's always a hassle to take photos and then upload them to the compy, then upload them to the cloud, then to put them in the forum. No excuse I know. I will have more pics to put up, they will just some time in coming. Denzil special ordered me a flat, black vinyl background for my tank, and I am really looking forward to getting it. It was a better option than spray paint. Not necessarily cheaper, but easier to apply and change in the future if I want to.

As soon as I get the background, the netting for the tank and the plumbing, the tank will be set up. Denzil is finally on board with my pet project. So he wants it set up just as much as I do, and has no problem with the old tank and the new tank up together. It just means that I won't have a living room for a little bit longer (which he was really anxious about) but now he says "I just want you to do it the right way-- no matter how long it takes....I want to be able to add corals eventually." LoL.

What do you guys suggest for a sand-bed depth for the 'fuge? I have read lots of information that suggests at least a 5 inch depth if you could, so I bought extra substrate to shoot for that, but wanted to see what you all thought before I did that. Also, Denzil is dying to put some kind of animal in the 'fuge. Any suggestions? I am not sure what to tell him LoL.

A deeper sandbed in a fuge such as 5" is fine as suggested. Typically hermit crabs and snails are put in the fuge...believe me you will spend many nights checking the pods and whatnot.

hey the canopy looks good on the setup. glad it will be put to good use. I think I may have found a bubble trap for the skimmer...i can give it to you if you come to a meeting someday.

Apon said:
hey the canopy looks good on the setup. glad it will be put to good use. I think I may have found a bubble trap for the skimmer...i can give it to you if you come to a meeting someday.

Thank you! Can't wait to get the canopy back together, you can't tell but I have to screw everything back in. We took it apart, sanded it down, added some paint and clear, then had to wait for it to gas out. Again though Denzil left, and all of our tools are at the Palo Alto office = / sigh. It will be put to good use! Can't wait to get everything put together and get it running. =) (Haven't forgotten, next installment should be around the first)

Hopefully another meeting soon? I saw something briefly, but when I went to sign up for it, I couldn't find it again. I am really bummed, I think Mike said something about limited availability, and I didn't realize that =( hopefully though, next meeting both Denzil and I will be there. Man, let me tell you, best thing that could have happened to him was seeing your tank, with the fish, in addition to Jim's tank AND frag tank. I still can't get over his change of heart ever since that Saturday. Shoot, after hmming and hawing over how to treat all the fish for ich, when Mike suggested to use the old tank as the hospital tank, Denzil was very open to the idea of having both tanks set up. He told me in fact "I expected you to do that, since I am assuming you are doing this the right way." LoL, OK! At least now I have a great game plan, and I don't have to stress out so much.

@Jim: I will be able to check the fuge for pods? Interesting, I didn't think I would be able to see anything until after a year. Going to have to do something for a pod population, since I have all brand new rocks and substrate. I was going to seed with a few tiny (golfball sized) LR from the old tank. I also will have all the shells for the hermit and what not. Is it recommended to put hermits and snails in the DT? I thought they were necessary for substrate cleaning, and cleaning up excess food, but since I don't have a puffer anymore, I guess that doesn't always apply. Any thoughts?

Brandie,

If all it took was a few tanks (to look at) to get Denzel on board...you should take him on the next tank tour. ;)

The fuge will be teaming with life in a few months and you guys will be using a flashlight to checkout all the cool critters.

It is a good idea to QT anything that gets wet (as Anthony Calfo would say). Inverts can carry some parasites, so it's best to QT them separate from fish.

Yes, it's a very good idea to have a good sized cleanup crew for your main DT to help with algae, turning over sandbed, etc. 25 turbo snails, a dozen nassarius snails, & a dozen small red hermits should be enough to get you started.

gimmito said:
Brandie,

If all it took was a few tanks (to look at) to get Denzel on board...you should take him on the next tank tour. ;)

The fuge will be teaming with life in a few months and you guys will be using a flashlight to checkout all the cool critters.

It is a good idea to QT anything that gets wet (as Anthony Calfo would say). Inverts can carry some parasites, so it's best to QT them separate from fish.

Yes, it's a very good idea to have a good sized cleanup crew for your main DT to help with algae, turning over sandbed, etc. 25 turbo snails, a dozen nassarius snails, & a dozen small red hermits should be enough to get you started.

Hmmm.....can you put them in a tank that has had copper in it before? I don't know how long it's been, but I am pretty sure Apon said that he had copper in the QT tank he gave me. Or maybe I can just not treat with copper in the big tank when I turn that in to the QT tank.......

Also, what meds are used for QT'ing inverts? Denzil wants to get a few shrimp too, so I am assuming they need to be QT'd. Man, never thought about that.

OMG 25 turbos?!?!?!?! O.O I have two and I thought that was a ton.....LOL. Are they they astraea turbos or the mexican turbo snails? Or both? I am assuming Neptunes has nesssarius snails? A dozen small reds? Small scarlet reefs or can they be dwarf blue legs or both? I know I expected some numbers, but man, those numbers are waaay bigger than I expected haha. I will have to put my big hermit in the fuge. I think he may find all those small hermits tasty little morsels. He's a nasty pita anyways LoL.

If the tank was glass and treated with copper then you can't put inverts in there (copper leaches from the silicone). As far as medicating inverts, it's really hard to say without knowing what parasites you may have. It's more of a wait and see if anything breaks out and that they don't die in you.

Get the smallest hermit crabs you can find (either blue or scarlet), the larger ones will kill each other. It's a good idea to put the large PITA hermit crab in the fuge also. ;)

gimmito said:
If the tank was glass and treated with copper then you can't put inverts in there (copper leaches from the silicone). As far as medicating inverts, it's really hard to say without knowing what parasites you have. It's more of a wait and see if anything breaks out and that the don't die in you.

Get the smallest hermit crabs you can find (either blue or scarlet), the larger ones will kill each other. It's a good idea to put the large PITA hermit crab in the fuge also. ;)

Aha! Makes sense now ^.^ PITA hermit will go in the fuge. I wanted to get more hermits, but was always afraid too. Can you mix the scarlets and blues? Or is it better to stick with one kind?

Also, would you re-QT the inverts that I already have? I have two turbos, and 7 astraeas, and the 1 hermit. I was hoping to put the snails and the hermit in the new tank after the cycling was done, so I could turn the old tank in to a big QT tank before I move all of those fish over.

Back