Kessil

My Ocean in a Glass Box

Finally did it! I've done a lot of reading and Googling and decided I wanted to try something new, so I converted my Red Sea Reefer 250 into a 20 Clownfish Harem tank! Hopefully they'll be happy with the 12 anemones and other tank mates. All of the PicoSnow and Picasso clowns are from @Kim Pattison and Jerry at Kimmie's Clownfish Factory, Thank you!!!, a couple Platinums are from Robin aka Fingerwrinkles as well. Here is a short video of them getting introduced to their new home on July 1, 2018. So far they seem to be happy and enjoying all the anemones.

551722ace1df984542ede4c389f10254.jpg

Last edited:
I have a lot of questions but will wait for you to post info. I bet you have seen all sorts of interesting and amusing behaviors

I have a lot of questions but will wait for you to post info. I bet you have seen all sorts of interesting and amusing behaviors

Ask away....I didn't know what other info to add. I'm more of a picture guy. lol
Yes, I've seen lots of interesting behavior. The 15 PicoSnow's are from the same clutch born on Dec. 12, 2018, the other 3 Picasso and 2 Platinum are different. An Alpha female and male has not been established yet either. They all sleep in different random anemones every night. The other fishes leaves the harem alone for the most part.

What types of anemones? Are all the BTAs displaying bubble tips?
Do you know how many clown pairs will develop?
How long have you had the nems in there? Did they move around a lot? Do different species stay away from one another?
That is a lot of fish. Can the tangs stay away from all those nems? What did the tangs do when you added all those wiggling clowns? How is firefish doing with all the commotion?
Where does everyone sleep? Still all over?
Is there an all out frenzy when you feed? Hmm, that could be an interesting video, hint hint.
Oy - big cleaner shrimp!

Damn, that is incredible. You have some beautiful magnificas(?) in there.

I like how they immediately went straight into the anemones.

20! That's pretty good. I'm thinking of adding more anemones to my tank and trying for a harem again, and this time going with a much higher number of them at the start.

What types of anemones? Are all the BTAs displaying bubble tips?
Do you know how many clown pairs will develop?
How long have you had the nems in there? Did they move around a lot? Do different species stay away from one another?
That is a lot of fish. Can the tangs stay away from all those nems? What did the tangs do when you added all those wiggling clowns? How is firefish doing with all the commotion?
Where does everyone sleep? Still all over?
Is there an all out frenzy when you feed? Hmm, that could be an interesting video, hint hint.
Oy - big cleaner shrimp!

Hi MolaMola, I'll do my best to answer your questions [emoji4]

What types of anemones? The Purple and Green tip anemones are Dolphin Pet Village anemones, the Red anemones are Rose bubble tip anemones.
Are all the BTAs displaying bubble tips? The RTBAs usually have bubble tips, the DPV nems when wide open never have bubble tips, but when I fed them they get more tight and will have some bubble tips.
Do you know how many clown pairs will develop? From what I've read, one of the clowns will turn into a dominate alpha female, another will be the dominate alpha male, and the rest will remain males. If the alpha female dies then the alpha male turns into the female and one of the smaller males turns into the new alpha male.
How long have you had the nems in there? I've owned the anemones for a long time in different tanks, they are clones of each other, but they were introduced to this tank in January 2018.
Did they move around a lot? They hardly ever move. The foot stays in one spot and they stretch to the front.
Do different species stay away from one another? Yes the DPV and RBTA kinda stay away form each other. They don't touch each other. Since both are captive anemones I'm sure the chemical warfare is minimal. But I'm planning on removing the RTBA completely to a different tank.
That is a lot of fish. Can the tangs stay away from all those nems? Yes it's a lot of fish, I'm watching the bio-load and parameters carefully. The Blue tang and Yellow tang have no problem getting around the anemones.
What did the tangs do when you added all those wiggling clowns? They were curious, but left the harem alone. The only fish that was aggressive is the Flame Hawk fish, But he's calmed down now.
How is fire fish doing with all the commotion? The Firefish is shy and very skittish. It'll swim out higher occasionally.
Where does everyone sleep? Still all over? The clowns sleep in random anemones every night. Other fish sleep in the rockscape.
Is there an all out frenzy when you feed? Hmm, that could be an interesting video, hint hint. Yes, feeding frenzy for sure, I'll shoot a video of it later this week.
Oy - big cleaner shrimp! I actually have 2 big Cleaner shrimps and a Fire Shrimp in the tank. Helps with the left over food.

Last edited:
Damn, that is incredible. You have some beautiful magnificas(?) in there.

I like how they immediately went straight into the anemones.

20! That's pretty good. I'm thinking of adding more anemones to my tank and trying for a harem again, and this time going with a much higher number of them at the start.

Thanks Kinetic! Your tank is incredible as well.

The anemones are DPV and RBTA. Loving the harem tank so far. For your RSR 170 I would probably go with 10-12 clowns. Check our Kimmie's Clownfish Factory, If you make the trip to Stockton they will let you pick out your fish! If not, Jerry will even deliver them to you!

Last edited:
Thanks Kinetic! Your tank is incredible as well.

The anemones are DPV and RBTA. Loving the harem tank so far. For your RSR 170 I would probably go with 10-12 clowns. Check our Kimmie's Clownfish Factory, If you make the trip to Stockton they will let you pick out your fish! If not, Jerry will even deliver them to you!

Oh the DPV!! I've been trying to find one for awhile. They look absolutely incredible.

For my tank I started off with 7 ocellaris. I don't think it was enough. I gave some away due to aggression after adding a magnifica and now only have 3 left.

I've been looking at Kimmie's Clownfish, but they do mostly perculas. I'm a big fan of ocellaris, but I think they have one or two breeding pairs having some babies soon!

Oh the DPV!! I've been trying to find one for awhile. They look absolutely incredible.

For my tank I started off with 7 ocellaris. I don't think it was enough. I gave some away due to aggression after adding a magnifica and now only have 3 left.

I've been looking at Kimmie's Clownfish, but they do mostly perculas. I'm a big fan of ocellaris, but I think they have one or two breeding pairs having some babies soon!

The PicoSnows I have are Ocellaris. The Platinum are Perculas, not sure of the Picasso's tho.

I'd recommend getting more anemones. With that many clowns they'll stress out your Mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PicoSnows I have are Ocellaris. The Platinum are Perculas, not sure of the Picasso's tho.

I'd recommend getting more anemones. With that many clowns they'll stress out your Mag.

Oh cool!

That's a good idea too. I'll try to load up on more anemones.

So nice looking! Do you planning on adding any corals to the tank?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, but not much. Currently, I have frags of frogspawn, yellow hammer, gsp, utter chaos and rasta zoa, mummy eye chalice, hollywood stunner chalice, sun coral, and duncans.

Last edited:

Kimmies clownfish factory does now have both percs and occy. We do not have any really fancy markings yet is the Occy. We also have Darwin's and black snowflake.

What a rad concept for a tank! Really like the clown harem.

How do you like the Kessil? Thinking about getting one for my tank as well.

What a rad concept for a tank! Really like the clown harem.

How do you like the Kessil? Thinking about getting one for my tank as well.

If you like the shimmer the AP700 is the way to go. If you want more ability to adjust your color spectrum than the Radions are a better. I also like the cleaner look of the Ap700 with tank mounts and built in wifi.

That’s gorgeous display. Wish we could have chatted longer the other day.
What is your nutrient export scheme?

Thanks! Your setup is going to look amazing as well. Wish I had your water change setup. I'm so lazy at times. I still haven't installed the MP40 lol

For nutrient export, I do 10g water changes every 2 weeks, I have a AquaMaxx ConeS Q2 skimmer rated for 130g heavy bio load while my Reefer 250 is only 65g total water volume, I run a BRS Carbon/GFO reactor, and a sump with good 'ol chaeto. My clean up crew consists of about 30 hermit crabs, 20 various snails, 2 Emerald crabs, 2 Cleaner shrimps, 1 Fire shrimp, and 1 Pistol shrimp. Besides for the hermits beating up the snails for their shells everything has been peaceful.

Tank update. Feeding video was taken on July 15, 2018. It's been 15 days since the harem was introducing into the tank. Everyone is still alive, no signs of aggression, Dominate female and male still have not been established yet. There are 4 larger clowns that I suspect will prevail.

Feeding video by request :) Live Brine shrimp treat for the swimmers.

Last edited:
Back