Kessil

My Ocean in a Glass Box

Wayyyy overdue for a tank update. Reefer 250 is still up and running but clownfish harem project didn't end up working out so well. After the clownfishs got to about 1.5yr old they started to establish a hierarchy. A dominate female and dominate male paired up. The rest stayed males and started to bully and kill the smallest clownfish. I started noticing missing clownfishs and it was always the smallest clownfish that had torn fins and tail from being bullied. I decided to re-home most of the clownfishs. I still have two groups of three clownfishs paired up. I assume this works since the "3rd wheel" clown is there as a backup in case one of the dominate dies.

On the bright side I moved into a new home and ended up getting a really good deal on a used Reefer 525XL. Biggest tank I've owned so far and loving it!!! Still a work in progress.....
E1BA9403-19E2-4132-B2AF-FF232FB144CE.jpeg
479EDE8B-2DA8-4580-A64F-FDF1552E4616.jpeg
B8C2E082-2C71-4183-A17F-5D2D68B909E2.jpeg
7842EA47-F012-4B7A-8CFB-88391F8A511D.jpeg

Released the Achilles Tang after 1 week of isolation to make sure he eats. He’s joining the Tang Gang of Gem, Purple, Desjardin, Yellow Belly Blue and Yellow. I purposely added him last since Achilles Tangs are known to be assholes and really aggressive and territorial. Crossing my fingers he does not nuke the tank with ich since they are very prone to getting sick. You can't see it in the video, but I have a huge mirror hanging on the front of the tank so it distracts the tangs and reduces aggression. I also make sure to always have nori available. I usually leave the mirror there until all the tangs are eating from the nori clip without fighting. Usually takes about 2 weeks or less. Enjoy!

Last edited:
My Achilles Is probably my favorite in my tank. Took awhile to eat well and escape the wrath of the 3 yellows. Maybe two weeks or so. Luckily he had always been a way stronger and faster swimmer than them.

That’s interesting because the Yellow is harassing the Achilles the most too. Hopefully it subsides in a few days.

My Achilles Is probably my favorite in my tank. Took awhile to eat well and escape the wrath of the 3 yellows. Maybe two weeks or so. Luckily he had always been a way stronger and faster swimmer than them.

That’s interesting because the Yellow is harassing the Achilles the most too. Hopefully it subsides in a few days.
Are you using the mirror method to distract?

My Achilles was my second favorite fish, right after my zebra moray eel.

It's been 14 days since adding the Achilles tang. I fed the tangs nori twice a day to keep fighting to a minimum. After about a week I removed the mirror since I noticed the other tangs stopped picking on it. I did notice the Desjardini and Yellow tang was the most aggressive during that time. So far no signs of ich!

Last edited:
Making progress on the new project. Due to the heat I’ve decided to move my IM Lagoon 25EXT from the garage into the house and plumb it to my 525XL. Got everything in place, now just waiting on plumbing parts. Anyone else have a frag tank plumbed to their main display tank?

905bb9e01acc1ea8862a678357c5add0.jpg

a6d0f8bc742b5283b67e1dacab3f98d9.jpg

df7bfa653d7654e8ab1205f85ad7055d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back