Jestersix

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

Hopefully, I didn't have 2400mL of CaCl in the container....

1628389624369.png

Pm me your ticket number so I can see the RMA. Usually when the DOS runs continuously outside of programming, its because the outlet got turned to ON. Or the button got shorted out by water. Do you use the button on the DOS?

Pm me your ticket number so I can see the RMA. Usually when the DOS runs continuously outside of programming, its because the outlet got turned to ON. Or the button got shorted out by water. Do you use the button on the DOS?
PM'd.

The unit was plugged separately from the EB832, and programming was set to AUTO. But, unresponsive to DOS.

I don't use the buttons. Maybe a faulty connection in the button or the board?

AquaJapan85
===

Rough day. Had a runaway dosing pump that dumped a full gallon of CaCl solution into my tank. Thought i saved the situation and acted in time. Turns out not.

Rolling rtn..

Latest loss is a special piece I've been cooking to culture

Purple base with green polyps by day. Pink base with orange / gold polyps by night.

20210814_163625.jpg
SmartSelect_20210814-170849_Gallery.jpg

AquaJapan85
===

Thought I was done with the surprise RTN fallout from the Ca OD. Nope. Found one more colony gone. But i think that's it as everything else is look good visually, on the surface, anyway.

Total death toll: 3...

On brighter side.. discovered my OG bounce developed pink fringe bubbles...
20210817_005847.jpg

AquaJapan85
===

Death toll continues from the CaCl OD from the malfunctioned DOS. :(

Resorted to tankwide cipro to hopefully control bacteria that like is exploiting the stressed pieces and contributing to their demise.

Still hard to believe the pump malfunctioned shortly after its return from being repaired.
==/

Elos 70
===

Man, my luck keeps on going here too... must have pissed off some reefing god somewhere.

Have a dino outbreak from cleaning up my tank after losing 5+ Supernovas and 1 CSB.

Today, somehow my nem basket with my mocha storm female tipped over... my davincis then destroyed her.

Only the fins were torn so was hoping it would recover... but was so stressed, it died shortly after I rescued her.

I was just planning to pair her up with a male snowflake too. But because they're in different nem tanks, was going to put up an isolation tank to pair them and QT so they wouldn't infect the final nem tank they were going into.

I discovered the unfortunate situation just as I was going to retrieve the fish to transfer.

Fun times

AquaJapan85
===

Looks like my decision to do a tank wide cipro was the right call.

Starting to see some STN fronts around the base of various pieces. The recession seems to arrest with dips, which confirm bacterial infections.

Likely, CaCl OD followed by big WC leads to stress which then gives a door for bacteria to take hold. I might amp up the cocktail a bit tonight.

Aquajapan85-ish
===
A bit of silver lining to my mess of tanks... found a baby torch! actually 3 so far

Looks like some of them spawned... at first, i though it was a dragon soul baby but my guess now by looking at purplish tips and coloring this is either coming from my true holygrail or my aussie holygrail/gold (before it melted). I did see a green baby torch... so who knows... maybe a hybrid torch! :)

I had placed all of my euphyllias in a 5G for the sole purpose of increasing probability of a successful spawn. Encouraging signs that the plan is working... at least I'd like to think so.

20210829_012225.jpg

20210829_012430.jpg

AquaJapan85
===

Just when i thought I was done with rolling rtn. Got surprised by a few more..

MattV Animal
BSA rainbow rose
And a few misc.

That said, finished my 7 day cycle of cipro. Restarted carbon and my skimmer. I am sure my nutrients are higher... and my ammonia should be about 0.25ppm based on the last time (too lazy to test this time).

Will run carbon for about 24 hours to remove and remaining cipro and then add in Dr. Tim's starter to replenish the nitrifying bacteria. I didn't do this last time and took about a week for my system to fully ee-cycle again but since I am leaving Thurs, thinking to add some buffering in.

Aquajapan85-ish
===

Finding more torch babies daily...

Interestingly enough, i am getting convinced the babies are a hybrid of my holy grail and maybe the green torch. I found 1 green baby and several gold ones with purple tips.

If you look at the coloring of the baby next to the dragon soul in the back, the gold coloring is unlike the HG ot any of the other torches.
20210901_001730.jpg

AquaJapan85
===

Once again, I fooled myself into relaxing and thinking the RTN mess is over... nope. Once again, more RTNs.

Amongst today's (or last night's casualty) are the last of my strawberry shortcake colonies, MattV color blind, and several indo pieces / colonies.

Pretty upset on the shortcake... saw it whitening at the edge last night, made a point to dip it before bed but got distracted with some late night work and forgot. Had I remembered, might have saved it... or gave it a shot at least.

I went back to doing an aggressive tank wide antibiotic reset. This time with both amoxicillin and cipro. Plan it to do to 2 days of aggressive resetting, then drop back to mild cipro only starting on Day 3 - 7... this will work to carry me to my final interceptor treatment this Thursday...

My thinking now is to re-baseline everything and slowly re-establish the tank as I did last time.

After my last interceptor run, I will began fragging what's left in my DT and start transferring backups to my sps frag that's now finally settled and stable and without dinos. The pieces I have living in there have grown well and are looking great. Just didn't want to move pieces in knowing I have a potential redbug issue to still content with in my DT.

Oh, and while I was at it... my currently installed skimmer got clogged with chaeto so since I had to take it out for cleaning anyway, I swapped in the DC skimmer in its place. I was holding off on this until things re-settle but seems like the universe was telling me something.

Last edited:
SPS Frag
===

With dinos gone, system is happy and stable...

Shot of two nicely colored up pieces that I homed here that survived the dino explosion...

20210914_003404.jpg

20210914_003534.jpg

20210914_003358.jpg

Well... i thought I had a plan...

On a impulse, I did some shopping therapy and picked up 5 purple tang juvies. My plan was to drop them into one of my larger tanks. But now realizing, that they're so small, if i did that there would be no way to retrieve them if they get bullied or the larger tangs or others would out compete them for food...at least pellets anyway.

Might just have to drop them into one of my smaller systems with few fish (i.e. single pairs of clowns or a pair of baby marine bettas) to serve as a nursery until they grow up...
20210908_200857_1.gif

IM 20. -- In-tank flatworm treatment experiment
===

The green flatworm population finally got out of control... every surface covered... Decided to experiment a bit to find minimal dosage of melafix to deal with the problem.

Since this is a my spill over frag / holding setup, I rarely look at it... though I should, since I have a lot of fire in there. whoops. In any case, I use a strong melafix dip to typically knock off worms and the like. And given that worms are on glass, walls, heater as well... then really no way to deal with it without a restart or chemicals like flatworm exit.

But figured, it's the devil you know vs one you don't. Melafix is clear about what is in there and generally safe for fish, corals, etc.

So questions are: will it work for in-tank treatment, and what is the minimum dosage?

Answer: 0.75 ml per gallon using Melafix Pond. For Melafix Marine, it's 6X recommended dosage. I left my system running with melafix for 2 hours prior to water change and carbon but saw effectiveness after 15 mins where most flatworms were either curled or falling off. Some pods also got affected but not all -- small sacrifice!

One point of consideration -- if you follow standard dosing instructions of melafix marine, you get to the same concentration I use over a weeks time which is the treatment window with daily dosing. Granted, some of that will have broken down through that period but while 6X the prescribed single dose seems high, it's not too unreasonable for a short window.

Interestingly enough, my water came out yellow after the treatment -- likely from exploded flatworms (green ones have chlorophyll).

No loss in corals, and everything is back to good.

Back