Reef nutrition

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

====
Biocube 29
====

Found a space in my office and had a couple biocubes hanging around...

So, in one went...

Mixing saltwater at the moment with 20 year old salt i have laying around. I found a slightly used bag while unboxing old stuff so why not. :)

This will probably house 2 new Elite Reef CSBs arriving tomorrow until I gigure out what to do with them.

I have 40 lbs of live sand i picked up on sale at PetCo (if you need LS, now the time to grab some... $16 for 20#!). These will all go in along with some cooked LR. And a scoop or 2 of my special sand mix.

I'll probably take the resultant mixed sand and put back into my LR tub to reseed with more biodiversity

Have a spare AP 700 also, and the biocube is just wide enough for the light and arms on paper. If not, will swap in some other lights I have...between hipargero 65W, aqamai LRM, or Radion XR30W pro G3 (was just about to sell these too)

20200311_163659.jpg

====
BioCube 29
====

Made a rookie mistake... bought too fine of a sand and dumped it into the tank before realizing it... The water is gonna be cloudy for days at this point.

Tried salvaging the situation by adding copious amounts of bio-clarifier. But still super cloudy. So changing out poly fill in the media cup every few hours to try to get the dust out... grrr

As far as light is concerned, I went for with the spare AP700 I have layin garound... just perfect fit with only mm to spare. I mounted the light close to surface for maximum PAR given that the intended purpose is to house Elite Reef lineagesd CSBs...

Hurrah! Light at the end of the tunnel....or a settled soon to be filled tank as it were.

Kessil arms mounted and ready to accept the AP700..

There wasn't a flange with the tank when I got it, and the included wave return is missing the adapter sleeve for the biocube. But seems to be getting plenty flow and good motion with the cobalt return so planning to run it with return wide open...

20200313_085447.jpg

====
Aqua Japan 85
====

Got my Trident replacement yesterday and did the swap out -- all is well again!

I did have a failure for Test A again initially, which surprised me quite a bit. But since the unit arrived straight from Neptune, I re-initialized it and then did a run on some fresh filter NSW just in case it was some SW error or my tank water.

After a few tries, that did the trick and got a reading. However, when I tried my tank water again, I got another error.

So, whipped out my Hanna and test alk.. seemed fine but on the low side. I had then assumed that most likely since the Trident has not been calibrated yet at this point, it might be reading my alk on the low side beyond its limits.

I then went ahead and tossed in some soda ash into my overflow and went to bed.

Sure enough, Trident ran fine this morning and gave me an alk of 6.52 dkh. The lower limit is 6 dkh, i believe.

It's a shame that there is no detail given as to the error other than "test A fail" versus maybe a message of "reading out of spec" or something more useful.

====
BioCube 29
====

Rocks are in ... threw in two chunks I had baking. Simple but effective, especially on the sugar sand. Reminds me of some nice beaches I've snorkeled in -- AND AWAY FROM THE HOUSE! (sigh. less than a week at home and already going crazy)

1584483326219.png

Something a lil different... My 5G pest tank.
============

I finally got around to cleaning the glass a bit after ignoring the tank for the last year -- since I am home, might as well! only disappointment is that my tulip nem colonies have all gone but my ball and aiptasia nems are indestructible, it seems.

Despite the loss of my tulips, I quite like the current result... like a SW planted tank where aiptasia is a nice decorative accent (lol -- one of the few times anyone in this hobby has said that, I bet!)

1585675957737.png

I’m scared to swipe my screen where the pic of that tank is. Don’t wanna touch it.
I think most people think aiptasia are cool when they first notice them poking out.
lol -- yeah, I sure did when I started out. That opinion changed quickly.... until I started this pest tank project. Been running for at least 2 years -- really one of my favorite tanks. So, aiptasia is cool again for me -- but only in this tank :)

Rule to the tank is I can only add but not take away, and aside from cleaning the glass now and then and adding rodi, it's left mostly untouched. I used to have some isopods in there that kept the glass pristine without much work but seems like they need to be replenished.

but my ball and aiptasia nems are indestructible, it seems.
Oh ya think? Aiptasia is indestructible? Hell I've had rock sit dry for years, and aiptasia still come back. Soaked chloromine infused tap water (not even salty) for a week, still came back.

Yeah I definitely have PTSD when it comes to those f'ers, I see the outline of a tentacle I get the cold sweats.

I can’t believe how you can manage so many tanks. Even with your low-maintenance approach for me it would be overwhelming to keep track of maintenance and feeding alone.

Congrats on your Trident! Remember that you can’t trust those numbers until it has been running a few days when you can calibrate it. Resist the temptation to adjust anything right away...
I’ve heard that but it wasn’t my experience. My Trident was spot-on for accuracy from the start, comparing to manual testing and an ICP test.

IM20
====

Snuck into the office today on way back from the HW store next to itto swap out my ATO water... Happily surprised that my tank remains dino and gha free!

Peroxide and lights out was the way to go afterall. The biodiversity might have helped tona degree admittedly so probably a combo thereof.

20200413_192541.jpg

Imaginatarium 3.7G
====

Just because...

...turned my 3.7G QT into a permanent DPV tank, with a hitch hiked purple and green shroom to match the DPV.

Running stock pump, and a Radion XR15W Pro G3, and preset 50W heater.

Kept it super simple with a few marinepure balls and filter floss on top in place of media cartridges...and a large piece of LR plugs a small LR paperweight so to speak.

The small LR chunk is holding a piece of plastic in place to cover up the little relief hole most AIOs use.

Up and running since the shelter order.

20200414_140935.jpg

Back