Kessil

NanoCrazed's Lazy Tank(s) Journal

Forget the DPV, time to up your game!

Nexus-Burst-Anemones-4.jpg

Forget the DPV, time to up your game!

Nexus-Burst-Anemones-4.jpg
Lmao. I got cut off from being first on the list by seconds on that one before it got over hyped. I know the guys that had the nem before Eye Catching bought it.

That said, EC over hyped the nem and made some false claims that they bought the rights to the naming (since they aren't the first ones or only ones with the strain).

I wanted the nem to my collection as a novelty. But take issue that EC is trying to capitalize on it as a "burst". It's just a very unique color morphed RBTA...

Bought the rights to naming it eh? Is that it works in this hobby? You just make up random shit and it's true? Tell them to either pay the money to file a trademark or go pound sand.

Bought the rights to naming it eh? Is that it works in this hobby? You just make up random shit and it's true? Tell them to either pay the money to file a trademark or go pound sand.
Hah, but there's a name to everything these days. That said, that article read more like a advertorial than an article. So reef builders lost some points in my book

Down to about 8-900 now, with a few sellers in the $750 range, shipped. @sfsuphysics don’t even ask about how people measure nems these days...
@iCon Probably. Prices are all over the place these days. 800 range ones are stated as 3" but depending on how stretched the nems are, they're really 1.5-2" in reality. Lol. On average, the more trusted sources are selling in 1200 range, down from 1400-1600. And then as you've said, anywhere in between. Either way, it's a supply and demand market as all things are in this hobby.

Lol. Supply and demand. CSBs were 300 at one point... now they're 1200+ for 3" on average.
Supply and demand eh... must be why at places like the CFM literally every vendor has one, and by the end of the show most vendors still have them. Seems like supply is there, and demand is not really there at least at the $2k mark that they were charging last time I was there.

Well... it's also not for everyone but a subsegment of the hobbyists. One well respected hobbyist I know sold 30 in 1.5 years, and he's constantly surprised that he gets pinged still for more despite how many folks within the FB groups have one now.

That said, CSBs aren't the highest priced nem. It's the CC Supernova with pricing between 1800 - 2500 for 2.5" - 3" pieces. Even smaller of a subsegment of the small subsegment of the market.

All for something that naturally splits and makes clones of it self, all in a bid to maximize the amount of money you can get from fellow reefers. Way back when the Green slimer was new, and no one had it, people weren't charging $300 for a frag of something that had no supply. But I'm not going to rant on the economics of how the hobby has changed, especially in your build thread :)

All for something that naturally splits and makes clones of it self, all in a bid to maximize the amount of money you can get from fellow reefers. Way back when the Green slimer was new, and no one had it, people weren't charging $300 for a frag of something that had no supply. But I'm not going to rant on the economics of how the hobby has changed, especially in your build thread :)
All good... we're all here to discuss and learn. And, this isn't a BST thread. Lmao.

On a related note, if anemones get you, sps are even more extreme pricing wise. Bkchem runs his pieces for thousands for small pieces. They're very nice pieces admittedly. But again, not for everyone

Oh I've given up on caring about sps prices, I mean these aren't ocean pieces these are "engineered" pieces. When the auction went off for what is now known as the $500 Efflo it was a "ha ha" moment, but the cost of corals really didn't start going through the roof until LEDs became the primary grow source with their blue beams of death star shocking the crap out of corals in a way that the Sun could never do. That said I'm happy with corals I have that are old school, I even have a Red Planet (not that old school, but still old) that has done a major color shift due to said LEDs as well (Be prepared to see $500 frags of 'Cherry Topped Ice Cream Acro" coming soon :D), if I get one of these fancy designer corals for super cheap or via the frag swap (e.g. my Walt Disney) then great, but give me a Green Slimer any day that will be a huge frag to start and will double in size every time I blink my eyes, and I'll be more than happy to see a big green sticked colony that is only green in my tank... but seriously don't give me any because I don't need two colonies of it! :D

Imaginatarium 3.7G
=======
Decided to clean the tank on one side during a call...

Baby clowns happy as clams in the DPV.

On a related note, green is coming back nicely to the tips. Continues to get longer down the tentacles.
20200522_154926.jpg

AquaJapan 85
======

Had reefers remorse today. I was admiring all my new sps frags and thinking about moving some up onto the rocks when i looked up and saw my pavona colony...which had already decimated parts of my branching monti and moving on to my meteor shower.

A long time ago i casually placed my pavona frag on the rocks just loosely for a temporary spot but got lazy and just left it. I likes it back then but now as much as i still like it, it's just too risky alongside some higher end pieces.

So off it must come. Admittedly the pavona is on a loose rock so i can move the rock onto the sand and treat as an island. But i like the look of the rock where it is, so did a lot of cutting and scraping.

While i was add it, i added a few new pieces of rock to build a talled wall to mount my newer pieces.

That said, there'll be some pavona chunks coming up on PIF!

20200523_175042.jpg
SmartSelect_20200523-202114_Gallery.jpg
20200523_145415.jpg

Imaginatarium 3.7G
=====

DPV continues to recover and color up nicely... the green tips are getting longer and brighter.

Only concern for this tank is that it sits in my detached office that has no AC so at the mercy of the weather.

On a side note, i do regret not installing AC on my unit when we built it. Weather wasn't so bad a few years back, and back then i wasn't planning on turning it into a fish room. Sigh... in hindsight a single AC would have been more cost effective than running a chiller per tank...

20200525_103519.jpg

Back