Cali Kid Corals

Need help with DIY solar generator

Is anyone handy with solar or an electrician that can help me? I built a DIY solar generator based on a few builds I saw online. While it works, I think I have a vampiric draw as the battery will whittle down despite little use.

The inverter uses power even if you don’t have anything on. The inverter is on. My inverter uses 100 watts. You can look yours up and do the math to see if you really have a draw or not.

The charge controller may use a bit also. Especially if it is a fancy bluetooth enabled one.
Same with your battery sensor itself.
And some lithium ion batteries have protection inside, which also uses a tiny bit of power.

Yes, the inverter will use current in standby.
Usually < 1%. Depends on size and brand of inverter.
Also, you can get "load sensing" inverters, that only use 1W or so when idle.

Most of these builds assume you leave the solar panels outside, so the little current here and there is irrelevant.

Thanks @phc567 and @rygh. I had some led string lights using the generator for about 5 hours each night but I would think that shouldn't draw down the batter that much. I found the battery completely drained one day. What could cause that if not a vampiric draw?

What voltage and battery types are we dealing with? I assume your solar is 12VDC. And battery 12v also? What type of battery chemistry?

LED lights won't draw much power consumption. Run a stronger load like a 100w light bulb for starters. Turn on a timer and see how long it stays lit while running off battery power.

It's possible your battery is charging, but not storing the charge.

First thing I would do would be to fully charge your battery and load test it. I have a load tester that connects to a battery and displays the total amp hour after it runs the battery from full voltage to low voltage, whatever settings those are (for 12vDC min 10.5vDC)

Back