got ethical husbandry?

Need to Cover Metal Doors Behind Tank

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Hi. Getting ready to set up a classroom tank that will cover a metal fire extinguisher cubby and a metal utility access door will be inches from the tank. Corrosion will happen, but what should I cover the metal with to minimize it? Suggestions so far are duct tape and thick contact paper.
-Maureen

The tank will cover a fire extinguisher cubby? As in you can't access it unless you go through the tank stand or move the tank? You really want to rethink that because that is all sorts of illegal (more so because it's a school).

That said, try to minimize any sort of bubbling so that you don't get saltwater spritz, humidity might become an issue depending upon the tank size but if you can control humidity and spritz you won't have to worry about corrosion as much. Also as long as the metal has some sort of coating on it (paint, sealer, etc) it'll hold off corrosion pretty well, the places you are kind of screwed with are any sort of moving parts like hinges.

Thanks for the info. (The extinguisher was moved to an adjacent wall - just can't remove its old permanent wall inset cubby. : ) )

Hi. Getting ready to set up a classroom tank that will cover a metal fire extinguisher cubby and a metal utility access door will be inches from the tank. Corrosion will happen, but what should I cover the metal with to minimize it? Suggestions so far are duct tape and thick contact paper.
-Maureen

You can cover it with PVC / Bath liner. Really inexpensive at Home Depot. Will keep moisture/water out.

I used simple black PVC pond liner behind my sump-tank, to protect the drywall.
Being flexible, it is easy to go around things and get into corners.
But thick enough it does not cut easy, like plastic sheeting would.

Definitely cover with something. I had high gloss paint on the walls of my old fish-room. Despite this years of saltcreep made it past the paint and destroyed the drywall.

I was planning to just cover the metal doors but sounds like I need to protect the entire walls. It's a totally new building with strange wall covering. Will think about this. I really appreciate the suggestions!

Back