Cali Kid Corals

Neptune LLS

THey work better when they are in your tank.
So turns out putting it in the water did the trick :p

1661979146163.png

Thoughts:
  • Calibration can be a bit annoying. I'd recommend just holding it at the level it asks for in the vessel. I tried to actually fill a bucket at the 6" mark, then 9" mark etc - dumb idea. I scrapped that and just held it firmly against the sump's wall and that was way easier
  • It works. It's pretty accurate so far (its been 5 minutes) & i'm happy with it
Main reason I want this is for more granular (and redundant) info on my return chamber's level. Last weekend I was out of town and had a whacky situation. My ATK's Low sensor was reading wet - the ATK high sensor was reading low but the separate optical I was using as a fail safe/redundant high marker was reading wet too... didn't make sense - how can it be dry in the middle? So I'm glad I got this.

View attachment 41508

Thoughts:
  • Calibration can be a bit annoying. I'd recommend just holding it at the level it asks for in the vessel. I tried to actually fill a bucket at the 6" mark, then 9" mark etc - dumb idea. I scrapped that and just held it firmly against the sump's wall and that was way easier
  • It works. It's pretty accurate so far (its been 5 minutes) & i'm happy with it
Main reason I want this is for more granular (and redundant) info on my return chamber's level. Last weekend I was out of town and had a whacky situation. My ATK's Low sensor was reading wet - the ATK high sensor was reading low but the separate optical I was using as a fail safe/redundant high marker was reading wet too... didn't make sense - how can it be dry in the middle? So I'm glad I got this.

I've found that optical sensors either:
1. need a quick clean
2. fail completely

My OS-1 sensors work great for about 2 years, and then start crapping out one at a time. I do, however, have two of them that are still fine after 6 years of constant use. I'm hoping their new sensors are a bit better. I did return the sensor once and got a replacement for free from Neptune, but the hassle is a lot so I just bought new ones to replace.

I think having multiple redundancy for things like the ATK/return is really smart though.

View attachment 41508

Thoughts:
Thanks for the update. Return chamber water height is what I’d use it for too.

Recently I had some buildup on the ATO optical sensor that made it think it was in water, resulting in not refilling and a low level. I caught it in time but a backup system alerting me that the level was low would be helpful.

Since I don’t know what the underlying technology is for the sensors, I’m mostly wondering a) How accurate is it, like is it going to be spuriously setting off alarms incorrectly, and b) How reliable is it over time, like are the contacts or whatever going to get mucked up and not work right after a few months.

Thanks for the update. Return chamber water height is what I’d use it for too.

Recently I had some buildup on the ATO optical sensor that made it think it was in water, resulting in not refilling and a low level. I caught it in time but a backup system alerting me that the level was low would be helpful.

Since I don’t know what the underlying technology is for the sensors, I’m mostly wondering a) How accurate is it, like is it going to be spuriously setting off alarms incorrectly, and b) How reliable is it over time, like are the contacts or whatever going to get mucked up and not work right after a few months.
Dunno… hence why I’m leaving my opticals there too. 2 readings > 1 and all that.

My high sump optical had actually moved and was getting sprayed by the atk refilling. So just moving it over did the trick there… no clue how it moved tho… maybe ghosts

Does anyone think this would be helpful in dosing containers?

My dosing pumps have notoriously gone out of wack (connections weren't good, gummed up tubing, etc), so I was thinking I could use the LLS to see if my dosers were truly dosing what the heads are trying.

Maybe this shouldn't be the fix, and I should actually just double check my setup and gear?

Does anyone think this would be helpful in dosing containers?

My dosing pumps have notoriously gone out of wack (connections weren't good, gummed up tubing, etc), so I was thinking I could use the LLS to see if my dosers were truly dosing what the heads are trying.

Maybe this shouldn't be the fix, and I should actually just double check my setup and gear?
For sure.

Got mine today and I have a few observations:
  1. There are no instructions included - or even a link to their site.
  2. It is not even listed as a product in their product page
  3. It is not listed in their "get started" page
  4. The bracket seems backward - it's on the side with no numbers, so you can't attach it to the glass and see the numbers
Pretty crappy!

Got mine today and I have a few observations:
  1. There are no instructions included - or even a link to their site.
  2. It is not even listed as a product in their product page
  3. It is not listed in their "get started" page
  4. The bracket seems backward - it's on the side with no numbers, so you can't attach it to the glass and see the numbers
Pretty crappy!
Did you update your AOS? In the latest version they have walk-through tasks for setting it up and calibrating, with pics.

Back