High Tide Aquatics

Nero 3 Died Need Alternative

joshness

Supporting Member
As the title says. One of my Nero 3's died. I'm waiting for a response from AI as I've followed all their maintenance suggestions, including two citric acid baths (one assembled, one unassembled), and cleared out all the gunk from every part I can see. I can feel/see it try to spin but it either just twitches or makes a shaky couple revolutions before doing nothing. I purchased this used with the rest of my setup and is likely out of warranty anyways. I would just get another nero 3 but there is currently a nero shortage (heard it's due to supply chain issues with the chip). So I'm in need of something to hold me over until I can get my hands on another, or if I'm happy with the replacement I'll just stick with it.

I have a waterbox AIO 50.3 mixed reef. I'm also looking at something that won't break the bank (we just purchased a new fridge, dishwasher, and had a car repair so the bank account is hurting a bit). I'm looking at maybe going with a gyre like the Jebao CP-25 as I've heard good things about it. Although I've heard these things need to be cleaned every 4 to 6 weeks. Anyways, Anyways, I'm open to suggestions.

Hmm, now you have me looking at the MLW-20 (closest equivalent to a nero3) or the SLW-20. SLW-20 is only $60 but wifi connectivity does spoil me. @rdriggett How do you like the pattern on the MLW's? Any experience versus a Nero?

Hmm, now you have me looking at the MLW-20 (closest equivalent to a nero3) or the SLW-20. SLW-20 is only $60 but wifi connectivity does spoil me. @rdriggett How do you like the pattern on the MLW's? Any experience versus a Nero?
I have mine set to continuous square wave and my corals seem to like it. Jebaos can’t be set below 30% speed so keep that in mind if you require lower flow.

If you buy from the manufacturer on Aliexpress they’re much cheaper than Amazon!
8C15C666-761A-4A97-A04B-DBDD996F6F62.png

72FC13B6-BE9B-4D7F-B7AC-11CF57E64783.jpeg
41649F64-7CB7-4A40-84DC-5044BDABF78E.jpeg
57F0E701-4415-4001-ADB0-BCDD3D9F462C.png

Last edited:
I had a used Nero 3 die on me also and offered me a one time replacement. So far it's working good but I'm starting to switch to Octo Pulse 2s which aren't cheap. I also run two Icecap gyres which are great for wide laminar flow, but it's true that they need to be cleaned periodically to keep quiet.

Last edited:
I can loan you an mp10 until you get what you need if that helps
Thanks for the kind offer, again I'm all the way in Antioch and do work in Dublin tomorrow. So distance to travel is limited to me until the weekend. So, I'll see where I land in a day or so when I hear back from AI. Maybe I can convince my wife we to go out to tunnel tops again with the kiddos. If I swing by @rdriggett that will be an expensive trip as I'll likely end up at Neptune.
I had a used Nero 3 die on me also and offered me a one time replacement. So far it's working good but I'm starting to switch to Octo Pulse 2s which aren't cheap. I also run two Icecap gyres which are great for wide laminar flow, but it's true that they need to be cleaned periodically so keep quiet.
That is really interesting to hear. I'm waiting for a response back from AI so maybe they'll offer me the same. Although I doubt they'd be able to get me anything soon as their stock is limited so I'll still need something in the meantime. The Jebao MLW series is looking more and more appealing.

Vortech mp10? Seeing it for $349. A bit out of my price range for now. I need something as a hold over I'm trying to find something around $100ish or under.
Definitely save up for one as the next purchase. I've been running mine for 10 years with no issues. Plus they're super modular if you need to replace anything.

I think @Mr2KiEu isn't far from you, maybe he has something you can use as a stopgap?

As the title says. One of my Nero 3's died. I'm waiting for a response from AI as I've followed all their maintenance suggestions, including two citric acid baths (one assembled, one unassembled), and cleared out all the gunk from every part I can see. I can feel/see it try to spin but it either just twitches or makes a shaky couple revolutions before doing nothing. I purchased this used with the rest of my setup and is likely out of warranty anyways. I would just get another nero 3 but there is currently a nero shortage (heard it's due to supply chain issues with the chip). So I'm in need of something to hold me over until I can get my hands on another, or if I'm happy with the replacement I'll just stick with it.

I have a waterbox AIO 50.3 mixed reef. I'm also looking at something that won't break the bank (we just purchased a new fridge, dishwasher, and had a car repair so the bank account is hurting a bit). I'm looking at maybe going with a gyre like the Jebao CP-25 as I've heard good things about it. Although I've heard these things need to be cleaned every 4 to 6 weeks. Anyways, Anyways, I'm open to suggestions.

Try silicon grease or vasoline on the front of the propeller where the black ring is. Sometime I find it rubs on the front of the cage and the friction causes it to not spin.

562B98FF-6F54-43F4-BFBC-F695FCD84517.jpeg

Try silicon grease or vasoline on the front of the propeller where the black ring is. Sometime I find it rubs on the front of the cage and the friction causes it to not spin.
I tried it, but it doesn't even spin with the front cage on. I tried lubing the spinning parts and while slightly better it stopped after 3 rotations.

I think I might have a Gyre XF150 you can use temporarily. I'll have to check my unused equipment bin. I'm in Pittsburg.
That would be awesome. Please let me know, if that's the case it buys me more time in getting something that may take awhile to ship.

Back