Reef nutrition

New Member-- 99sf-- Moved from San Diego

I'm smiling, imagining a crew of reef experts moving tanks while blindfolded and without using their arms! Gresham, are you involved with the Monterey (spelling corrected to remove reference to Mexico's Monterrey) Bay Aquarium? Probably as a vendor, but wondering if you were a consultant during the creation of any of the exhibits?

patchin said:
If you bribe people with beer and pizza, you could probably get as many BAR members as you need :bigsmile: My wife's Bday is a couple days before, but if she doesn't mind, it sounds like it could be fun. I live closeby in Newark.

When Bryan moved his last tank, there must have been a dozen guys there.

Brings back baaaaaad memories Steve

Picture006-1.jpg

Wow, lots of strong guys were needed to carry Bryan's tank. I will definitely have beer and pizza! What kind of beer is best for tank moves?

99sf said:
Wow, lots of strong guys were needed to carry Bryan's tank. I will definitely have beer and pizza! What kind of beer is best for tank moves?

let the great beer debate begin :lol:

Bryan's tank is SUPER heavy, even for a glass tank. The back wall alone weighs almost as much as a normal glass 150g... it's what, 1.5" thick??

I used less people to move it but I never went up stairs like he did. I was SOOOOO glad to not move that tank anymore. 3 times was enough :(

didn't get the PM yet. I volunteer at the Steinhart Aquarium on sat mornings ( till noon) with Matt who you met on the tank tour - I get to feed the food that feeds the fish : ), might be able to help later on. I have successfully moved about 4 tanks in my time, and setup many others. Sound like you have lots of people willing to offer help and advice, but let me know if you want me to talk to the guys at OT. They have all the stuff to move your tank, not sure if they are available though.

Are you sure you want my advice on setting it back up? My setups are a little different than the norm. Too many cooks may spoil the pot as they say : )

That photo of lifting the tank OVER the staircase is crazy! Is that a hydraulic lift from an auto body shop? Compared to Bryan's (formerly Gresham's?) beast of a tank, this one will seem feather-light (especially after removing all the sand). Arnold, sorry about the delayed PM... work got in the way for the rest of the afternoon / evening.

OK, I will definitely be providing beer, pizza, seafood and cookies. One request for Belgian beer so far... I assume not Heineken.

For the record Heineken is Dutch :)
Hoegaaden was a big hit for my move.

I will tentatively throw my name in the hat for help. Will post some other questions in your build thread but again I will qualify my responses in that most of my experience has been with glass tanks.

Embarrassing beer geography mistake! Especially since I went to the Netherlands and Belgium 15 years ago, although on a whirlwind trip. I am going to stock up on Hoegaaden.

Thank you, Bryan, for your detailed moving list on the other thread, and for your tentative offer to help. That is incredibly nice. I have also been writing a list of supplies to have at home, for the livestock move, and for the tank move. Unfortunately, I am short on water transport devices. Right now, I have three 6 gallon sealable containers and five 5 gallon square sealable water containers with handles (not Alhambra bottles). I have several 5 gallon buckets with lids. I just bought quite a few Rubbermaid type 18 gallon containers with lids. Planning to purchase some wheeled trashcans. Any suggestions for the best places to get non-toxic water transporting trashcans?

Tony, the move is from Fremont to Orinda.

What day is the move?
When I made my tank move, I did 2 things to address transport
1) transport
2) have new SW mixed at the new site in a brute

for transport, I used those 5g cube type jugs that you frequently see at LFSs.

75023p.jpg

Tony, the move will be on Saturday, January 30. Do you happen to have any extra square 5 gallon containers that I can borrow for the move? The ones you show in the photo are similar to the ones I have, which are stackable. I am trying to find safe (food grade?) wheeled trashcans so that I can also have pre-mixed (and heated) saltwater at my place.

So I confirmed I have 7 of the jugs Tony is showing above, 2 32G Brutes, one 20G Brute and a set of wheels for one of the 32G containers.

Regardless of whether I can make it or not you are welcome to borrow them.

I recently upgraded from a 100g Aquasystem to a 120g with built-in overflows. I used a spare 100g tank on the floor to hold the rocks and most of the water to go into the new 120g. Corals and fishes went into a spare 40g octagon on a stand. I filled both the tanks (100g and 40g) with 50% of the water from the original 100g Aquasystem and the rest of the water (30g) came for the LFS. I still have the 100g and 40g tanks if you want to borrow them and can deliver anytime after 6pm. If you still need help moving the tank, I'm nearby in Dublin and will work for beer and pizza. :) Also, I have three 7g jugs and four 5g jugs I could bring.

Let me check storage later today. I might have 3 unused ones. If so, you are welcome to use them. Not sure if I will be free from work on the 30th yet.

Benjamin, thank you for offering--I definitely still need help moving the tank. Will have your favorite beer & pizza available. Would love to borrow your water containers and one of the tanks temporarily. So generous of you to offer to drop off a holding tank, especially because my car is a small sedan. I'm sending you a PM to see if we can arrange to meet up before the 30th.

Tony, if you do have those extra jugs and have to work on the 30th, perhaps I could come pick them up one night next week after work? Would also be fun to see your tank in action and fancy light system.

Back