Jestersix

New Member...and need advice

Hey all, new the site but been in the hobby a while. Actually got my first job at the "The Fish Tank" in Sunnyvale. That was like 20 years ago... nice to see them still in business. Been with the PCCA, and the Sac Aquarium Society, now moving more towards reefing.

Anyway, wanted some input on setting up a 55g in my office. I am there three days/week (wed-fri). I have a partner (not a fish guy) who is there mon/tues and some sat. Sorry this is already getting confusing but I need some input/advice on equipment/setup that I can leave essentially unattended for four days at a time. Is this a bad idea...

Thanks

Welcome! It's not a bad idea at all, there are good quality auto feeders out there, timers for lighting and quality equipment that can make for a fairly bulletproof setup.

an Auto Top off would IMO be required. If you are running a "demanding" tank like an SPS tank, you'll want to look into dosing pumps it.
If you have the budget for it, a controller with internet capabilities may be quite nice (not required by any means). I would however, get a basic controller that lets you do timing and temp regulation. For a full blown system, I love my APEX, but for a "limited" controller, the RKL basic package is a good entry.
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKL

Agree with the first two posts. Tony's idea about the Automatic top-off is exactly what I was thinking. Also, the Reefkeeper Lite will really help you inexpensively control the temperature, light period and pumps. You could get an automatic feeder for the fish for around $40 ... Jeremy would know the best one.

I like the fishmate, you can set it to feed only on certain days and control the amount of food being fed.

Otherwise I have many setups that don't have auto top off that I service every two weeks, they operate with out issue.

Thanks for the input, gonna look into as much automation as I can. I don't want to rely on anyone at the office for help. Will let u know when I get it up and running. Should be a few weeks.

My advice is to get your business partner involved early so that he has a stake in the fish tank and genuinely cares about it. That way he won't forget to do some of the regular manual chores involved in taking care of the tank.

Ok one more thing... can I run it without a sump? Say a traditional 3" sand bed, live rock, Bak-Pak style skimmer?

Everything I read talks about a sump like its automatic. I understand the idea, but not sure I have the room (for a decent size) and since I'm trying to stay contained, the less water following around the room the better. That would mean no valves, no bulkheads, less plumbing, less chance for a flood to go un-noticed for two days. I also realize this may change my potential livestock but... just not sure.

I don't have a sump but wish I did. You can get a lot of ugly equipment out of a tank that way :-D A false back setup also can do that (sorta)!

I'm going to go service a 50L that has a Bak Pak skimmer a 2 T5s with reflectors and a circulation pump. I see the tank every two weeks and the owner doesn't even put water in it, in fact I don't think it gets fed more than twice a week, all of the corals and fish are super happy.

Mmm...tuberider has the set-up I'm looking for.

As for what I'll keep that depends on the setup. I am flexible with the livestock, i figure the appropriate thing to do is put it together as best I can and then see what I can get to thrive. Dont imagine I'll get to keep anything crazy in it, prob run an old Hamilton Tech duel fixture with 2X110w VHO's and 2X175w MH. Also I'll put one of those new VorTech MP20, the skimmer and dun.

I'd be a little leery of using MH or intense lighting in general, your evap rate goes through the roof, not to mention pest algae. Other than that keep your bio-load light, and get a real tight fitting lid. Sometimes I even use bits of plastic wrap to seal up a tank where there are little gaps, for example on an AGA tank the standard glass lids do not accommodate the Bak Paks return, so you need to remove the rubber hinge and go with the glass solo, that area will need to be sealed or your fish will find a way to escape as well as water will evaporate from that opening ;)

Back