got ethical husbandry?

(New) Quanta Lights (ATLAS, Helix) controlled by a Hydros Controller

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Starting this to get your input into the setup as you might have done this already previously and I feel information is hard to come by.

I was planning to upgrade and/or replace my current lights with the new dimmable Quanta Helix light bars: https://www.quanta-lights.com/products/quanta-helix

Pre-order will start tomorrow/Aug 30. I am in urgent need of some lighting improvements, and I do not want to miss this pre-order opportunity.

However, I looked into the ATLAS (already available for purchase) yesterday, and these look to be even more interesting but might require a replacement of my current Reefi lights, given their size: https://www.quanta-lights.com/products/quanta-atlas-sps

Given my tanks dimensions, i.e., 47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”, one seem to be not enough and two overkill. Still trying to determine this, potentially combine one with two Helix light bars (?).

Since these lights do intentionally not have an app or other form of controller, they will require one.

They seem to connect with a 0-10 V connector which my Hydros Wave Engine v2 has, but this will still not allow me to control the lights with a light scheduler. To do this, one of the Hydros Control X models is required.

It does seem that the controller would allow to a) dim the lights by adjusting voltage, and b) to create a schedule of various intensities over the day. I wonder if anyone has done this already with other dimmable lights and if there were any issues with doing this, or any other positive or negative experience?

The 0-10V only will let you step up and down the lights 0-100% in 10% increments, not control spectrum. I'd post on the Hydros forum and ask the power users there, but it should be pretty easy.

I don't understand why you'd give up on your ReeFi lights when these Atlas lights seem better suited to lighting a commercial facility and require an umbrella sized reflector. If you need more coverage, just go with bars. If you need more ppfd, just crank up your ReeFi lights. They generally cover a 24x24 area with up to like 6ft of depth easy. Two bars would cover the outer 12" or so along the long edges fine.

I have Reefi . I don’t understand the motivation to ‘upgrade’ besides just want to get something new. Do you have shading problem?

My first gen Unos are getting old and eventually I will need to replace them. Following this thread to get some ideas

I pickup a used reefbreeder photon as backup. Not sure i will use it as a main light.

Also to consider, the Atlas is preset at 14k color, which I like but maybe not everyone does. I'd also assume based on the led array that it's going to be a blanket of light with no shimmer. Again, all preference.

Ugh I wish dim my Quanta Pros like the helix. I have to crank my Kessils to the whitest setting to blend out the meseo blues or else it's too blue for my liking.

There are no issues with the Reefis, really (except some non-technical issues, which I am happy to share with folks during a swap or so).

But since I have to rethink my light set-up, coinciding with the new lights releases from Quanta who like Reefi like to disrupt the lighting market with affordable lights, I became interested in alternative options to mix up with the existing Reefis.

The ATLAS seems to want to replicate the MH color spectrum and claims to have achieved this. MHs are way before my reefing time but from all I have read, MHs had a very good run and were possibly the best lights if not for their drawbacks in terms of power consumption and heat emission.

Luca / owner of Quanta lights / recommended the following options for my tank dimensions:
  1. Two ATLAS with Reflectors with two Helix Meso Blue
  2. Keep the Reefis and add two Helix Daylight Crest, but he had concerns with the coverage of the tank. I have had the same concerns which is why I liked the idea of two ATLAS, which would cover a lot of ground for 500 USD each, plus potentially a better spectrum.
  3. Keep the two Reefis, add one ATLAS in the middle, and then add a couple of Helix Daylight.
Option 3 is what I am planning to do now and I ordered one ATLAS (with reflector) today, and will preorder two Helix Daylight lights tomorrow. I do not think the ATLAS will need a reflector for this setup but I am waiting for Luca to confirm. I have also ordered two 60 degree reflectors from Reefi in case i need them.

Also, I have ordered a Hydros Control X4 (https://www.coralvuehydros.com/control/control-4/) to control the ATLAS and Helix. The much cheaper X2 would have worked too since I already have the Wave Engine v2 with the 0-10 connector. However, I am planning to move my APEX to the nano tank so this will allow me to run a PH and ORP probe.

The last piece of the puzzle will be the mounting height of the new light setup. I was planning to lower the 17 inch from water level I am currently running, but no longer sure how this would need to be with the ATLAS mounted, so will put this change on hold.

Has anyone tested the atlas? The Steinhart is testing fixed spectrum Kessils to possibly replace their halides. Might be able to ask them for a 14k prototype too for around the same cost, but have more functionality.

The way it compares is it’s a little more than 1/3rd the wattage/output, maybe 1/10th the size, much more established track record, and almost the same price. :)
Good point on the track record. That's what we are paying for three times the price relative to performance .

You can always just reach out to Luca, he is a great guy!! He will tell you everything you want to know! If there is a way I can help, let me know. But he has all the data out there you need, you can also check out telegrams data comparison. A lot of bang for your buck! Don’t let the haters fool you, because they are definitely out there

The Atlas looks like it will be absolutely blinding without a reflector - I would consider that in your decision.
And it sounds like your reefing journey began after the metal halide era. We always figured out a way to diffuse the light pollution, but now theres companies that do it for us

You can always just reach out to Luca, he is a great guy!! He will tell you everything you want to know! If there is a way I can help, let me know. But he has all the data out there you need, you can also check out telegrams data comparison. A lot of bang for your buck! Don’t let the haters fool you, because they are definitely out there
Yes, this is what I had looked at over the past few weeks, and it seemed to be very (!) appealing to go with them, but still no pre-order for the Helix as of this morning (hopefully later today). Still debating if I should go with the 35 inch or 47 inch bars since the tank is 47 inch long (eurobrace). I am currently thinking of two Meso Blue 47 inch.

The reflector for the ATLAS was included in the price when I ordered yesterday so no issue there, but it is admittedly a big one, which strangely was very appealing to me :). Mounting will be a different story...

Have anyone compare the offering from Orphek versus Helix?

I'm mildly interested in LED bar to get better coverage.

Luca mentioned to me today that I should not buy the Helix for now and try the two Reefis and the ATLAS (with reflector!) I already bought only. Clearly someone who does not push his product. Will post once this arrives.

Since I came across this very helpful presentation on the 0-10V ports on the Hydros (Wave/X4 etc), which will be used to dim the ATLAS (and Helix) lights, but not to turn off (needs an on/off switch).

Back