High Tide Aquatics

(New) Quanta Lights (ATLAS, Helix) controlled by a Hydros Controller

Following several discussions with Luca / Quanta lights and Kris (the mounting expert), there seems to be no easy way to mount the ATLAS and Helix Bars together, mainly due the ATLAS being so large.

For a tank with my dimenstions (47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7), Luca stated that the ATLAS and Helix bars need to be mounted 10 inch above the water. The ATLAS has a total length of 14.5 inch with reflector, the Helix 1 1/8 inch, so a large discrepancy between the two. Hanging them from the ceiling will solve this easily, which is not an option in my case.

Also, the tank s a Eurobrace which further complicates this.

Currently, this is what we are thinking to build with 2040 alumnium bars:

IMG_1915.jpeg

This is how I set my lights up with the euro brace.

Attachments

• IMG-20240430-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20240430-WA0002.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240430_150357.jpg
    20240430_150357.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240430_172323.jpg
    20240430_172323.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 39
Cool. I am curious, what’s the use model for hydros or other controller to control the light? I set my light (reefi and Kessil) schedule on their respective app/website and have not touch it since. What’s the need to link the light schedule to the controller? Dim the light when you feed?

Cool. I am curious, what’s the use model for hydros or other controller to control the light? I set my light (reefi and Kessil) schedule on their respective app/website and have not touch it since. What’s the need to link the light schedule to the controller? Dim the light when you feed?

These lights don’t have any kind of software or website.

That's a whole lotta bars! I vote for a hanging fixture or pendant to keep the tank clean. If I recall, you had some ceiling beams that they could mount from.
Yes, agreed :(. The ceiling beam is perpendicular to the tank so not sure how I can use this to make it work. Would love to hang it from the wall. Alternatively, mounting it on the side wall could be an option but this could still be tough.

IMG_6975.jpeg

Ive seen hundreds of lights mounted on bars attached to the tank edges and eurobraces which some look fairly heavy with all the lights over 4- 6 ft tanks! Then theirs large canopies resting on tops as well..
Are their any scientific calculations on weight limit factors for this approach?
After reading tones of forums no one seems to refer to any calculation weight charts let alone any side to side shaking from a tremors causing more stress on the ends supporting the weight..

Yes, agreed :(. The ceiling beam is perpendicular to the tank so not sure how I can use this to make it work. Would love to hang it from the wall. Alternatively, mounting it on the side wall could be an option but this could still be tough.

View attachment 60221

View attachment 60221
Lag bolt a 8020 or stronger piece perpendicular to your large beam then just hang from there..There are tv mounts that will support the weight that lag bolt in to at least two studs vertically that extend out pretty far on an arm like the one I use for my old plazma that thing is about 75 pounds and can extend 2 feet out from wall on articulated arm

Maybe an 8020 bar mounted to your beam for structural support (red), then perpendicular bars (orange) attached to that one where you can hang the lights off of. This would allow you to move the perpendicular bars up and down the rail to change the positioning of your lights as needed or if you change setups. If you want to get fancy, you can use slide bearings to make it easy to move the lights back and forth for adjustment or maintenance like @wazzupmac has.

1726001727122.png

Maybe an 8020 bar mounted to your beam for structural support (red), then perpendicular bars (orange) attached to that one where you can hang the lights off of. This would allow you to move the perpendicular bars up and down the rail to change the positioning of your lights as needed or if you change setups. If you want to get fancy, you can use slide bearings to make it easy to move the lights back and forth for adjustment or maintenance like @wazzupmac has.

View attachment 60222
Do you know how the bar can be mounted to the beam?

I’d call 8020.net getting their recommendation sending them a pic of your idea since they know the loads of all their products and all their attachments which are a tone. They will recommend what size series in 8020 you should use 10,15 etc.. Below is a guy who used series 15 for his light mount.. Im sorta in the same boat deciding which way to mount a canopy over my 6ft..
also thinking about improvising an kayak hoist mounted to ceiling super easy to raise and lower and adjustable can hold 150 pounds plenty lol but maybe use smaller white rope not sure yet..

Do you know how the bar can be mounted to the beam?
Four of these should do the trick. Just need the appropriate lag bolt to anchor it into the beam

@PjFish I allllmost went with a linear actuator lift design. The then scary thought of 'what happens if the actuator breaks?' came to mind since I don't have access to the back of my tank.

Back