Cali Kid Corals

Newjack's Dog house build (tank journal)

Hello Bar,

For those members that do not know me, my name is Kris. I go by the screen name “Newjack” on most fish forums. I have been reefing for many many years and when I joined BAR I had an existing tank. So, I never had a chance to start a “tank journal”. Here is a link to my current tank. It was chosen for a “Tank spotlight of the month” back when we first started the recognition program.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/tank-spotlight-1-newjack.22389/#post-327366

Here’s a short list of the New (used) tank build. I am labeling this build “Newjack’s dog house build” because wifey say’s NO more fish tanks in the house! So, this new build will be in my garage. And, so I am in the dog house for this one.

Tank = 75 gallon rimless (unknown brand, this was @Gablami hospital tank).

Skimmer = Vertex 130

Lighting = ATI 6 bulb T5

Flow = Gyre, tunze, Sea Swirl

Live rock = Dry rock, sculped by @jestersix reefscaping

Sump = Trigger Emerald green

Dosing = GEO 612 Carx.

Controller = Apex EL

Top off = Tunze 3155

Substrate = Tropic Eden reef flakes & meso flakes mixture.

I’m sure there is something I’m missing, but you all can get an ideal of what I’m working with. My current tank was set up in a hurry because I was coming off a tank downsize from a 100 gal. to a 75. At that time, I just wanted to get my rocks and stuff out of holding bins and get back up and running. With really no end goal other than having fish in the house. And a few corals is always nice.

This time around, I am actually planning on what goes into this tank with an emphasis on a SPS friendly build. To be honest with you everyone. I was losing interest in the hobby. I missed the last few frag swaps because I really wasn’t feeling it. I’m using this new build as a re-boot for me. Something to reignite my reefing.

I hope to be adding pictures as the tank matures in the up coming months and years.

Wish me luck, and happy Reefing BAR!

Here’s a few pictures of the tank during the build process.

IMG_6637.JPG
IMG_6639.JPG
IMG_6638.JPG
IMG_6644.JPG
IMG_6643.JPG

Looking good so far Kris! That tank looks like the Solana XL 67g. That sump cleaned up real well! Nice jestersix rockwork!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Kris, you know what you’re doing. Only a year old and sticks growing better than any tank I’ve had. I like all the improvements you’ve made to the tank/stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second that on raising kids and family time. Its just good to know that Gabe is still reefing. Lots of people come and go so often in this hobby, lots of time it takes stubbornness and determination to stick it out long enough to enjoy the good.

Hey Bar, I wanted to share this with the club. I found out BRStv was gonna feature my tank on its BRStv youtube channel. I watched the episode the other day, and honestly was pleasantly surprised BRS picked the dog house build as one of the tanks. It's the same video that I posted earlier in my journal so NO need to watch again. I just wanted to document this happening during this builds journey so in a few years I can look back on this tank and remember where it started. If you decide to watch it here, I''m the last tank to be talked about in the episode, Its under "jaiden and Janie adventures" thats my kids youtube channel which they helped me upload the video.

Back