Jestersix

OK All You Techies

patchin

Supporting Member
I've got a HP g6 laptop that is driving me crazy. Every once in a while I do something, I can't figure out what, that turns off my mousepad and a little light goes on on the outside corner of the pad. I googled it and got no where. There's a little circular indentation on the upper left corner of the mousepad that's supposed to turn it off, I think, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any clues? Thanks.

Does this diagram help?
original

Source: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Not-able-to-turn-off-synaptic-touchpad-in-G6-1156se/td-p/813109

Hitting the on/off button doesn't seem to do anything. I'll check it out again tonight.

Thanks, Denzil, for the offer.

I don't have this version, but did have a similar issue on a different laptop. I reinstalled the latest drivers and then ran the mouspad utility in the control panel and found a setting for enabling/disabling various features of the mousepad. I did need to reinstall the driver to get them to work. Also, if you are on Windows 8, it might just be bug. I just put Windows 8 on my work laptop and a few things don't work correctly.

Forgive me. I'm just a dumb Mac guy...

Going OT here...

Why would you WANT to turn the touchpad OFF? You just gonna talk to it like Scotty in Star Trek (the whale one!)?? :)

First, hold it upside down and shake it to reboot. If that doesn't work I would update or reinstall the drivers like Ray mentioned. That should take care of it. If that did not fix it then you most likely have a hardware problem. Either a loose ribbon connector or the pad is going out.

aqua-nut said:
Forgive me. I'm just a dumb Mac guy...

Going OT here...

Why would you WANT to turn the touchpad OFF? You just gonna talk to it like Scotty in Star Trek (the whale one!)?? :)
I think they make it turnoffable (how's that for a made up word) in case you want to use a mouse.

Touchpads can get in the way when you are doing massive typing, thus some people like to turn them off in such cases. I just buy an external keyboard and trackpad for such cases :)

Back