Jestersix

One tank or two??

Okay so I have recently bought this 220 gallon fish tank and i need help deciding.

The tank that I bought came with coral and fish. It was already set up so we had to take it down and my tank has been doing good, mind you it’s only been two days. I already have this 55 gallon tank with coral and fish and I wanted to take it down and put everything in my 220 but by doing that I would have to sell the tank because my dad told me too but I don’t want to do that.

What’s your guy’s take?
Should I keep both tanks that is more work or should I move all my stuff from the 55 gallon and have too sell that tank??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would move it to the big one if there’s room. Perhaps you can make the case for the 55 to be in the garage as a QT tank?

I would move it to the big one if there’s room. Perhaps you can make the case for the 55 to be in the garage as a QT tank?

Yea that’s what I wanted to do but I can’t because my parents said that they wouldn’t keep it in the garage

Why wouldn't you want to sell the tank if you move everything over?

And yeah 2 tanks are more work, and you'll probably get a "favorite tank" and neglect the other a bit.

I want to keep it as a quarantine tank or a frag tank. And yes your right I’m already spending more time on the 220

I want to keep it as a quarantine tank or a frag tank. And yes your right I’m already spending more time on the 220

I guess then you’d have to decide if your fondness for the 55 is worth the extra effort to maintain 2 tanks. My two cents is since the QT/frag tank option is out of the question, then I’d consolidate into the 220 and sell the 55.

I guess then you’d have to decide if your fondness for the 55 is worth the extra effort to maintain 2 tanks. My two cents is since the QT/frag tank option is out of the question, then I’d consolidate into the 220 and sell the 55.

Okay yea. I’m feeling the same way now. Thank you your opinion really helped!!!

I didn’t think two tanks was an option because your parents wouldn’t allow it. If you live with your parents you’ve got to do what they say.

I didn’t think two tanks was an option because your parents wouldn’t allow it. If you live with your parents you’ve got to do what they say.

I was able to keep the 55 gallons but wouldn’t be able to move the stuff to the 220 or turn it into a quarantine/frag tank.
I would have just had to leave it as it is.

What if you transfer frags from 55 to 220 and then make frags from 220 to 55. Start selling frags and inform your parents you are selling frags to generate college tuitions and give them rent. :)

I'd forget about the 55. You'll eventually love your 220 so much that you'll forget about the 55.
It's better to master 1 tank than to split your attention.
But most importantly, you should honor your parents and listen to their wishes.

Forget the 55. Really too large for a QT or frag tank. Maybe a sump, but probably wrong dimensions.
It will just take up storage space.
And don't underestimate the extra work of that 220.

Two tanks can work, but only with a solid plan from the beginning.
I have seen a matched set, one coral, one FOWLR, that looked really nice.

Two tanks really is twice as much work.

Plus, if your dad laid down a rule, it's in your best interest to listen or you may find yourself without any tanks.

Reef Geek 3D Printing

Saltwater tanks are like rabbits - you start with one, then add another and before you know it you have 30 or more and your room/garage looks like a fish store. At least that's how it is always with me because I keep primarily anemonefish and you can only keep one pair per tank...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depending on how much space you have and your sump size, you can run two tanks from one sump. If you tee off the same return pump to share, should be fine, but if you add a second return pump, you have to be careful of the overflow water when the power is off.

I have my display and frag tank on the same system and it’s not that much more maintenance really. I really wish my frag tank was glass though so I could use my razor blade attachment for cleaning.

For me, I had my 120 gallon display and 55 gallon sump running for running for 7 years. Then I added a 60 gallon frag tank to the same sump after that, which was about 2 years ago. Now my frag tank practically full, I wanna get a larger frag tank! Or display! Lol

Depending on how much space you have and your sump size, you can run two tanks from one sump. If you tee off the same return pump to share, should be fine, but if you add a second return pump, you have to be careful of the overflow water when the power is off.

I have my display and frag tank on the same system and it’s not that much more maintenance really. I really wish my frag tank was glass though so I could use my razor blade attachment for cleaning.

For me, I had my 120 gallon display and 55 gallon sump running for running for 7 years. Then I added a 60 gallon frag tank to the same sump after that, which was about 2 years ago. Now my frag tank practically full, I wanna get a larger frag tank! Or display! Lol
I currently have a 170g cube and 45g cube tied together. It's worked real well for me.

I'm about to move my tank to the other side of the room. The 170g cube will be plumbed into the garage where it will share a sump with 100g and 125g tank.

I hate testing.

Reef Geek 3D Printing

I have a 200G SPS tank and a 40G softy/anemone tank that are separate, but part of me wants to move the 40G (mostly to cover drain access in the floor with the bottom of the stand :D) and then tie the tanks together. But... yeah the whole point of separate systems is that I could "neglect" the softy tank a bit, let it get dirtier, etc.

Oh, and whomever pays the PG&E bills gets final say over your tanks, don't be surprised if your parents flip a lid when the first bill for heating that 220G tank comes in :D

If I could only have one reef tank a 55 would probably be my last choice as far as common sizes go. I’d even consider going back to a 14 cube over a 55, they just aren’t a good aspect ratio. Yes, I have owned a 55. It was replaced with a 75 which was at least twice as nice.
In your situation I would sell the 55 and use the money for lids on the 220 if it doesn’t have any already. Keeping the winter time heating bill to a reasonable minimum will probably be a long term benefit.

If in a year you find you have spare time, will, money, and parental convincing abilities, then make space under the 220 for a 40B and use that as a frag and QT system.

If I could only have one reef tank a 55 would probably be my last choice as far as common sizes go. I’d even consider going back to a 14 cube over a 55, they just aren’t a good aspect ratio. Yes, I have owned a 55. It was replaced with a 75 which was at least twice as nice.
In your situation I would sell the 55 and use the money for lids on the 220 if it doesn’t have any already. Keeping the winter time heating bill to a reasonable minimum will probably be a long term benefit.

If in a year you find you have spare time, will, money, and parental convincing abilities, then make space under the 220 for a 40B and use that as a frag and QT system.

I like your idea and I have started taking down my 55gal

I like the other ideas on how they used two tanks on one system which I might do that in the future

Thank you guys so much for all your feed back!!!! It helped me a lot!

Back