Jestersix

Other hobbies

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 2.38.16 PM.png

Oh man. I’ve always wanted a metal cnc machine. So cool.
I’m slowly working on building a larger one in the garage that’s a little more robust than my desktop unit now. It’ll be able to cut aluminum no problem but probably not much more than that. I would like to make a CNC plasma table down the road though.

Ultimate frisbee, biking, and windsurfing are my other hobbies. @Vhuang168 @Chromis There's a new campground area called Dumbarton Quarry next to the Coyote Hills Region park. It's new and relatively unknown and has relatively large field to fly a kite ($6 park fee). Alameda Crown Memorial beach is often windy (it's common place to see Kite surfers and windsurfers. Has some nice open area but can be crowded in the summer.

I used to be huge into music. A decade ago I was probably at a rock club 3-5 nights a week. Had tons of friends in bands, I was always in bands etc.

I still have something like 20 or 30 guitars. Lost count plus I’ll randomly sell one here & there.

But now I’m old and have RSI so I can’t play too much & have started to get bad.

I used to be huge into music. A decade ago I was probably at a rock club 3-5 nights a week. Had tons of friends in bands, I was always in bands etc.

I still have something like 20 or 30 guitars. Lost count plus I’ll randomly sell one here & there.

But now I’m old and have RSI so I can’t play too much & have started to get bad.
20 or 30? I thought my 8 or 9 was a lot lol

• UAVs - design and build autonomous UAVs for research and commercial applications
  • RC - Building and Flying Drones / fixed wing / helis
  • Mechatronics - building custom electromechanical systems for everyday stuff, now including the reefing hobby :)
  • Photography - Aerial, landscape, astro and wildlife
  • 3D printing - for everything above :p

Although I haven't done much lately, I like bass fishing; Lake Merced in SF has a few lunkers there; my personal best 13 and 1 oz, previous to that one, a 9 pounder back in 1990. Fly fishing and spinning for trout. Got a pole and reel for salmon but it hasn't happened yet. No saltwater since that mens gear specific for the environment plus I get really seasick.
Camping but life is busy and family is not that into roughing it out.
...and my old car.

Cooking is a big one, and I've been working at perfecting my brisket and tweaking beef and rib rubs. I'll sorta lump baking and homebrewing beer in this; though it's been a few years since my last batch since, when I get back into brewing, I want to do all-grain again and do it right.

Creative writing. Poetry, prose, and everything in between. One of my favorite pieces over the past couple years was a short article titled, "Building a better wizard through gene editing" which blends my science background with my love of the Harry Potter universe.

Music. I'm not a great guitarist, but I love playing both guitar and drums, particularly anything with a beat that requires a double bass pedal.

When we actually have the space for it, I want to get into woodworking and/or (preferably 'and') blacksmithing. I've grown really fond of DIY projects and would like to move that to 'artistic/crafting' as opposed to 'just fixing stuff around the home'.

Cooking is a big one, and I've been working at perfecting my brisket and tweaking beef and rib rubs. I'll sorta lump baking and homebrewing beer in this; though it's been a few years since my last batch since, when I get back into brewing, I want to do all-grain again and do it right.

Creative writing. Poetry, prose, and everything in between. One of my favorite pieces over the past couple years was a short article titled, "Building a better wizard through gene editing" which blends my science background with my love of the Harry Potter universe.

Music. I'm not a great guitarist, but I love playing both guitar and drums, particularly anything with a beat that requires a double bass pedal.

When we actually have the space for it, I want to get into woodworking and/or (preferably 'and') blacksmithing. I've grown really fond of DIY projects and would like to move that to 'artistic/crafting' as opposed to 'just fixing stuff around the home'.

Maybe I should sponsor a few hours of blacksmithing time for BAR when I need to move the new tank upgrade into place? :)

Fishing and camping/backpacking/hiking, though I haven't been able to get out much in the last year since having my first kid. I also enjoy home DIY renovation so have done everything from tiling bathrooms to building cabinetry.

For fishing I typically do saltwater. We rent skiffs out of Capitola or kayak out of Monterey for lingcod and rockfish. When I lived closer to the coast I did a lot of surf fishing for striped bass. In the winter I'll target trout in the reservoirs. This last Saturday I was able to negotiate with the wife for a guy's day out, so we chartered a guide in the Sacramento delta. Got my limit of eating sized ones ~22" and also caught (and released) my personal best at 42"!
VV5_SPyyiaodRWfSlv8-BMy1CZHdrlVvuez-rNNplcDLFw6jY2nVwsZq-A1Kw_sXulrKBgZWpPuEQm7EiJSUtIzf0JaM7KpzHU9uWmlbaotqVXBtCLPAhOJbXHyKhub4V4siiJLwLLF7yb1EI6xboMe0pQ6BEHUvWspyMZpcK5Wq9Fjv-C2tHW4I5Tp5DBeF7wkv1mEWVFfjK3XMueIBgsVnivxlPtwRZ1rDzg15Lg2mbyH8j_NbUlw1prtNBxTALwGUAdvgeNEoiGQyIRIFAclsFhrii2VjZcslSWvb1DZkUT6o8cnbxRLGdgrQIn3kqWVW7T6flT_H-bbycJUEgAJ6qsShidkfeJ8PFejbG56fNmNIJ4gvChOKcC_DhRBixLM-z42LVqV8MNccvkn4LyrbZ7bqxJxWW4FGPKG8Ux2hrpWbWA5v-dxh6cVllrcELZF_-i_1EgMOAdj449UMj7YILqEO9aYWHdHH2yVlc-rCJBNuEK4RaCG6H7C3Mv4xVHv6G0gMYdRwYJnYKjXQl86IObdDD-5GYeahlJ5BLXig9Ei7aussbSdHChYL7HQ3eZqgiAcFKmkJExLaNEbDqleaBihjZYmQioG96lb9dSFFHoJYJQgFrHp-ZUovTLrgocyK8GSgDm-8mn1pUWqlzFArOLwW4zqCkv69D4XwrkVI6EWJgOSPnAM_GTHtoE5QNd6fEc0s34c1F-HgA1WR__6w7iIS51CmheTdqEiaWOP5xYdekGOtmLAFl3Ai5MdAy9cg39CUziKQvpYyIMoEE1HOXZUTFf16oE0=w706-h937-no

Last summer was my last backpacking trip in the Cathedral Lakes area of Yosemite. On trips I'll always carry my ultralight rod to throw spoons for trout.
DSCF1979.jpg
PXL_20210925_002701702.PORTRAIT.jpg

Back