Reef nutrition

Palytoxin and ignorance strike again

I’m not aware of any known cases of a D. ostreopsis outbreak in a tank making someone sick. There are cases of it causing problems in the wild, I believe in the Mediterranean and around Japan, though.

I’ve wondered if maybe some mysterious tank crashes could be due to this sort of thing, but the fact that the human dealing with the crash doesn’t also get sick argues against it.

People are also a few orders of magnitude more massive than life in our tanks though. 1 nanogram of palytoxin may kill a fish, a person might need 10,000 that amount just to feel symptoms, plus fish are living in it, we dont get much of tank stuff in our body just by putting hands in the tank

Reactions: JVU
People are also a few orders of magnitude more massive than life in our tanks though. 1 nanogram of palytoxin may kill a fish, a person might need 10,000 that amount just to feel symptoms, plus fish are living in it, we dont get much of tank stuff in our body just by putting hands in the tank
Our comparative mass does work on our favor as far as diluting it, but we have a completely different physiology. Things that are poisonous to us may not be to them and visa versa. The link talked about the molecular structure of paly toxin and how it interacts with our body (not that I understood most of it).

Back