High Tide Aquatics

Porous Ceramic Cylinders - Any Thoughts or Experiences?

Hi again!

I have been reading about these little beige colored (ceramic?) cylinders, and how they are used to provide more surface area for beneficial bacteria colonization. I have an empty compartment, so I figured I'd toss a couple back there.

The cylinders don't seem to be slowing down the flow any. My water level in the return chamber has risen a tiny bit, as expected.

Anyone have any thoughts on these? Has anyone any experience using them?

8u4a7e4u.jpg

I know they do have a ridiculous amount of surface area. I can't see how they would hurt and since your still in the beginning stages, no better time to experiment ;)

I would much rather have chaeto for extra nutrient export and a safe haven for pods in that chamber if possible.

Ah Dan. Yes, it is possible. I totally forgot about the refugium basket that InTank makes for this aquarium.

You reminded me. :/

I guess that's a good thing. I agree, I would MUCH rather have a chaeto factory back there. There's a magnet-held LED light that can be mounted back there as well to keep the chaeto lit 24/7.

Once I'm done with my ATO project, I will move on to the chaeto fuge. ;)

Awesome! Those magnetic LEDs are pretty rad for those AIO tanks. Don't run it 24/7 though. Run it reverse of your display lights ;)

Back