Neptune Aquatics

Powerstrips

Hello fellow Reefers,
I am running into an issue. I need more space for all of my power cords. I am currently using two powerstrips to power 16 plugs. Is there a powerstrip that has a timer built in and has 16 outlets. I do not see any. Right now I have a powerstrip for the sump and one for the DT, but I have to run an additional powerstrip from another outlet across my room to power all the stuff in the DT.

Hello fellow Reefers,
I am running into an issue. I need more space for all of my power cords. I am currently using two powerstrips to power 16 plugs. Is there a powerstrip that has a timer built in and has 16 outlets. I do not see any. Right now I have a powerstrip for the sump and one for the DT, but I have to run an additional powerstrip from another outlet across my room to power all the stuff in the DT.

What's your budget?

No heaters, but two 250watt metal halides, a t5 fixture (2ft, 2 bulbs), 2 kessils 160s, JBJ 1/4 chiller and associated hydor pumps. Looks like it will be okay from the amps, 5 maximum per socket.

Probably ok, although that 1/4HP Chiller could be a concern.
The operating current is probably around 5A, but starting current for a motor is 4-6X normal current, so could head up around 20A for several seconds.
That will likely work, but be a bit hard on things. I would not put it on an EB8.

Probably ok, although that 1/4HP Chiller could be a concern.
The operating current is probably around 5A, but starting current for a motor is 4-6X normal current, so could head up around 20A for several seconds.
That will likely work, but be a bit hard on things. I would not put it on an EB8.
The good thing is that his heaters shouldn’t be running at the same time the chiller is. He could program it where if the chiller needs to come on then the halides go off too.

edit: I just saw he didn’t have any heaters on it to begin with.

A cheaper option is to use a junction box and then run 4 power strips through that. The junction box just has an on off switch but no circuit break / power protection so running surge protection powerstrips off the box won't be an issue. You never want to daisy chain powerstrips that have circuit breakers pf each other.

Can get the box at Lowe's or Amazon

Back