Our mission

Protein skimmer

So about a month ago I threw out my current protein skimmer. It was constantly blowing micro bubbles everywhere and I wasn’t sure if I needed it or not. I have a 13.5 gallon and I was struggling with Dino’s, probably due to low phos/nitrate. I’ve since cut back on the Dino’s significantly and raised the nutrients. I guess I should probably reintroduce a skimmer but I’d like a better one. Any suggestions for an easy to use/install skimmer that is also effective?

We're you using the fluval ps2 Skimmer?

If so, There aren't a lot of options that match that 3"x3" footprint to fit in the first chamber.

The icecap k1 nano might fit but you need to double check the space in that chamber. I have no personal experience with the equipment but the design is very similar to successful skimmers.

There are a few options that use limewood "airstone" instead of a needlewheel on a pump. Smaller form factor but higher maintenance as the "airstone" has to be replaced periodically to maintain efficiency.

The other option is something that "hangs on the back" instead of trying to fit inside the chamber. These will hold more water volume and have more dwell time which will be more efficient but generally come at a higher cost.

My daughters 29g biocube runs with just a filter roller and a refugium.

It's actually too clean. The sailfin blenny hasn't had any algae to clean off the glass and is starting to look thin. I just reduced the amount of time the refugium light is running.

What are the reasons you want to have a skimmer?

It sounds like your nutrients are already low enough. And as long as you have a decent trickle from your overflow weir and good surface agitation, a small skimmer won’t add much for gas exchange.

My mom runs the same tank without a skimmer and water changes every 3-4 weeks. It can be done so long as you are getting good surface agitation from your pump or added wavemakers.

A "nano tank", as mentioned, should be fine with water changes. Having said that, when I had a 10g glass tank, I had algae problems and I put a Piece Of Crap Prizm skimmer on it that did nothing but overflow. (I'm angry about it because I bought it at a fish store and the sales guy who convinced me to buy it turned out to be on our forum here (a decade or more ago) and on the forums he knew what good skimmers and crap skimmers were, but in the store, he just pushed it on me to make a sale).
Anyway, I ended up putting another 10g tank under this one as a sump with a hang on back overflow and I put a way over-capacity skimmer in the sump. It worked but that had it's share of floods too.

Oh boy, none of that was useful to you! I just started rambling!

Anyway, I found that the Aquamaxx ConeS Hang on Back skimmer to be quite effective.
Alternatively, you could get a dosing pump setup that has "Automatic water change" features and constantly do that under the cabinet to keep fresh new water changing all the time.

V

I have 3 nano tanks. I've added the limewood airstones (reefglass) on two of them about 9 months after startup when I noticed oil slicks on the water surface....which I later corrected with better surface flow into a sock (thanks to recommendations from BAReefers). I'm not sure I even need the airstones now and they are finicky since they depend on a consistent water level...which means you need ATO to keep the water level consistent). My third nano (10g) doesn't have a skimmer and its doing great with 2G water changes every other week.

You can address some water issues with controlled consistent feeding and water changes instead of a skimmer....it certainly isn't a requirement for a nano where water changes are 20 minutes :)

Back