Neptune Aquatics

Pump that fits 5g container or advice

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Hey everyone,
I am getting tired of lifting 5 gallons of water to pour it into my tank during water changes.
Anyone have a pump recommendation or dyi pics of how you pump water back into the tank from the plastic 5 gallon buckets.
Pics would be awesome.

Thanks
Gerry

Hi,
I use my ato to pump water back into the tank. I believe it’s a tunze nano, the only problem with this is that every few minutes or so I have to unplug and replug in the ato because it will stop after a while so it doesn’t overflow the tank.
6817A4B6-3A35-4409-AB3D-C1511BF23AB2.jpegCBB8CDDB-6A1B-4255-8752-40499D515712.jpegFE4F8C44-2142-4C45-8021-7CB4202D37FC.jpeg

This stuff never leaves the bucket. Every Sunday morning is watcher change time so I make it as easy for myself as possible. An extra pump and heater is worth it for me. I try and make it too easy so no excuse will stop me from doing a change. The maxi jet (or cobalt now I think) does the mixing and then I just attach the clear tubing to its outlet and pump the new water into the first chamber of the sump.

Attachments

• F249961E-DBAF-46FD-998D-8A415525D9E1.jpeg
    F249961E-DBAF-46FD-998D-8A415525D9E1.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 187
I use one of these with a hose.

VIVOSUN 800GPH Submersible... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L54HB83?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I 2nd this pump, bought two of them, one for mixing saltwater and one for refilling the tank from my brute. Could get by with just one, but preferred two so I have a backup.

Before I was using the spare pump for my skimmer, and I think I waited too long and now my skimmer pump impeller is showing signs of rust and also the spare....so now Im looking for a replacement skimmer pump before both breakdown.

Not exactly sure it fits inside a 5g jug though....

EDIT: pump does NOT fit inside a white 5g jug.....but of course in a bucket its fine.

Last edited:
I can always dump the water into a bucket but that just creates one more step.

Just wanted something I can drop in and be done.
G

Minijet pumps fit by removing the front and back plastic pieces.
They were discontinued but seems they were brought back under a different commercial brand.

But make sure you get the one that comes with its own power supply.

This one:

Back