High Tide Aquatics

Question for those that dose alk and calcium

How do you dose alkalinity and calcium?

• Separate times (e.g., 12 hours/12 hours)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you spread the dose for both over 24 hours (using the Apex DOS function)? Or do you dose separately, dosing alk the first 12 hours and calcium the last 12 hours of the day?

I'm a bit concerned about precipitation even though I dose directly into a small pump. I heard it may be better to separate the dosing times given the DOS might dose both simultaneously.

I dose both, spread throughout day. I just keep the lines dripping away from eat other and at high flow spots im sump like right before baffles to return. Keeps everything mixing and less chance to reacting and precipitating

I dose all 3 (Alk, Ca, Mg/trace) into the high flow return part of the sump, spread out all day. Not right next to each other, there are a few inches between the Alk and CA tubes.

I dose all into the overflow baffle in my sump, and put alk as far from ca on the dosing tube holder as they can go. Then I let the trident and dos to their thing with a single measurement spread evenly throughout the day. I do occasionally see alk build up on my hose in the sump, so I should probably be dosing that one closer to the main pump to get more flow on it.

thanks for the responses everyone. sounds like i can keep dosing both throughout the day but perhaps separate the lines further apart. currently they are about an inch apart as I am using the stock tube holders that come with the Trigger sumps.

Back when I was developing the Trident prototype (my "Alkalinity Monitor"), and I was testing for Alk only every 10 minutes 24/7, I was dosing alk and Ca staggered in tiny increments all day long. This caused a really predictable sawtooth wave that lagged behind my photoperiod by about an hour, as dosing wasn't keeping up with consumption during the day (alk dropped during the day), and then the dosing "caught up" during the night. At some point, I switched to dosing alk at twice the rate, but only during the period starting at one hour after lights on until one hour after lights off. This stabilized my alk very nicely.

Back when I was developing the Trident prototype (my "Alkalinity Monitor"), and I was testing for Alk only every 10 minutes 24/7, I was dosing alk and Ca staggered in tiny increments all day long. This caused a really predictable sawtooth wave that lagged behind my photoperiod by about an hour, as dosing wasn't keeping up with consumption during the day (alk dropped during the day), and then the dosing "caught up" during the night. At some point, I switched to dosing alk at twice the rate, but only during the period starting at one hour after lights on until one hour after lights off. This stabilized my alk very nicely.
It's super cool to have your level of knowledge on BAR!

Back