Cali Kid Corals

Reactor info

The_Lazy_Reefer

Supporting Member
Hey so I’ve been running my tiny midsize innovative marine reactor on my new 75 in the sump and so far I thought it could hold up but finally snagged a Hanna phosphate checker and I’m siting at .1 so it’s time for some more gfo and I also like running rox.8 carbon so currently I have the BRS dual reactor in mind and I’m wondering if anyone has feedback on its performance or has another option that wouldn’t break the bank. I mean 100$ for a dual reactor with a sicce pump is a pretty decent deal I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was actually just looking at that too. I’m not sure but it looks like the same hardware as the dual DI reactors that comes with their RODI systems. I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the 3 stage DI (anion, cation, and mixed). I could get the 3 stage and move the dual one to the sump area and either get a pump for it or plumb it to a manifold.

I’ve never used reactors; in the past I’ve just used media bags for carbon and phosguard.

Forgive me for being a newb here, but aren;t GFO and carbon typically run at different conditions (aka flow) GFO is more fluidic where as carbon is tight and unmoving, would a dual reactor be able to achieve both of those with one pump.

You just have to run carbon packed with a sponge on the bottom in the second canister so it doesn’t tumble and run gfo in the first canister and it’ll work. I used one for over a year just fine, but it does require minor adjustments to the flow as the carbon canister becomes clogged over time. Then I got lazy and now I just mix carbon with GFO in a single canister.

Personally if I was going to run them separately again, I’d probably just use two single canisters if I had the space so I didn’t have to adjust flow as the carbon became clogged.

Mixing Rox carbon and GFO in 1 canister works well and is easy. The carbon mixed in keeps the GFO from making a rock so you don’t have to tumble it, and you don’t have to fuss about the pump rate. I use a single chamber BRS deluxe reactor this way and it’s more than enough for my 200g system.

Mixing Rox carbon and GFO in 1 canister works well and is easy. The carbon mixed in keeps the GFO from making a rock so you don’t have to tumble it, and you don’t have to fuss about the pump rate. I use a single chamber BRS deluxe reactor this way and it’s more than enough for my 200g system.
Now, you have to change both when one is exhausted. Which do you notice tends to get used up first.

What Randy said is the common wisdom. Of course it also depends on quantity of excess organics vs excess phosphate in a given system as to which will be used up faster.

To figure out which media gets used up faster is difficult to figure out in practice, since it’s hard to reliably know when exactly either is depleted in your tank with any kind of routine testing.

And it is true that carbon (and it’s sponge filter) will generally clog before all the GFO (or even all the carbon) is used up. You could improve this with a pre-filter sponge that you change more frequently.

It also matters what ratio of carbon to GFO you use. When I use GFO, I use about 20% GFO to balance out the above, and because my phosphate doesn’t run too high.

Ok, with all those details to consider, what I do in practice is just just change it out once a month, usually just carbon but with 20% GFO mixed in if my phosphate is creeping up.

I found it. It is 4.5" diameter, 19" tall.
If you are near Union City, stop by and borrow it.
If you like it, I will sell it cheap, or for some coral. If not, return it.

Back