Kessil

Red stuff acropora tips?

Thanks alot for your feedback It's given me several things to consider.

My fault on the video I didn't even think about it as a possible issue, only my 3rd video ever lol. So I will keep it in mind next time I do one.

Tank is only 32 gallons so space is tight. I don't have anything attached to the rock work except the sps that are on it. All the euphyllia is just in a rock type of frag holder. For the most part euphyllia is towards the bottom, sps takes up the upper 1/3 of the tank, exception the two torches I have slightly higher up on the glass. I probably have more on the glass than on the rock structure.

By cheap wavemaker I meant to imply you plug it up and it's just a stream zero options beyond pluging it in. I've never really heard of the jebao wavemakers- I will look into them.

The nem recently split for the first time a month or so ago probably because I was feeding it every other day (i no longer target feed it since it split) it hasn't move a inch in the 3 years that I've had it. It's currently contained on its own rock. I watch them closely. The main reason I still have them in this tank is my maroons are crazy about it. If they move or split anymore they are definitely getting the boot.
Jebao SOW-4 or other SOW model depending on your needs, i was recommended.

I plan on getting a SOW-4 for my tank (in addition to crappy powerhead and the frankly ridiculous flow my Aquaclear) - $44, much cheaper than an MP10 and Jebao is decently reputable as well.

+1 for Jebao, they are basically Chinese Tunze knockoffs. I talk about how much I love mine in my build thread. I am using ONE jebao and ONE gyre right now in my 6ft.

Mp10 Schmempeeten :)
I Looked at them which would u recommend ? I couldn't find a good description of them to compare the different versions of them. I would hope for one that could semi match the mid to lower output of the mp10? This would be for my 32 cube.

I Looked at them which would u recommend ? I couldn't find a good description of them to compare the different versions of them. I would hope for one that could semi match the mid to lower output of the mp10? This would be for my 32 cube.
I have a sow-8 on my 40 cube and it is probably the upper end of what you'd want. Maybe get an 8, and one of each smaller ones to see what you like. Good thing is they are available slightly used on amazon and can be returned. I need to get an sow-20 in the mail because it didn't have the outside of tank magnet ion the box, but amazon takes these back and resends you another to try.

I have a sow-8 on my 40 cube and it is probably the upper end of what you'd want. Maybe get an 8, and one of each smaller ones to see what you like. Good thing is they are available slightly used on amazon and can be returned. I need to get an sow-20 in the mail because it didn't have the outside of tank magnet ion the box, but amazon takes these back and resends you another to try.
Thanks! how do u determine strength is the 20 stronger or the 8 just for a refrence point? I wouldn't want to have to run it at full speed if possible.

I'll save up for one of these, as my mp10 search will take longer thab i would like. This hopeful will be alot better than my current set up.

Thanks! how do u determine strength is the 20 stronger or the 8 just for a refrence point? I wouldn't want to have to run it at full speed if possible.

I'll save up for one of these, as my mp10 search will take longer thab i would like. This hopeful will be alot better than my current set up.

SOW-20 is the biggest. Amazon has the smaller ones.

Jebao SOW-4 or other SOW model depending on your needs, i was recommended.

I plan on getting a SOW-4 for my tank (in addition to crappy powerhead and the frankly ridiculous flow my Aquaclear) - $44, much cheaper than an MP10 and Jebao is decently reputable as well.
you probably want the SOW-4 or -8. Two smaller pumps is often more versatile than one larger

I started with 3/4 wave makers and wires through out the tank, thats why I was happy with the mp10 it alone was stronger than all the other pumps combined.

Really don’t wanna go backwards again, so ill aim for a 8 maybe bigger if I can find a deal.

I started with 3/4 wave makers and wires through out the tank, thats why I was happy with the mp10 it alone was stronger than all the other pumps combined.

Really don’t wanna go backwards again, so ill aim for a 8 maybe bigger if I can find a deal.
Multiple smaller wavemakers isn't going backwards. Do you like having one giant fan in your house, or a distributed hvac system? Same idea, lots of smaller pumps gives more appropriate flow all over the tank.

Don't get me started on wire management, that's a whole separate discussion that I hate because I don't like doing it myself. I like talking about flow though!

Multiple smaller wavemakers isn't going backwards. Do you like having one giant fan in your house, or a distributed hvac system? Same idea, lots of smaller pumps gives more appropriate flow all over the tank.

Don't get me started on wire management, that's a whole separate discussion that I hate because I don't like doing it myself. I like talking about flow though!

It's a few things that would make me feel as it would be going backwards. Having to unhook all those wires to clean the makers, than re thread them through the small holes. The wires also make it tough cleaning the glass. Also had to plug a power strip into a power strip to to be able to plug them all in. Lastly the mobius app is just dang cool with making adjustments. To be fair I don't have tons of experience between different wavemakers so only can speak to the ones I've owned. Mine just sucked in being able to program them. The jebao one u recommended maybe to make adjustments- yet I won't know until I get one.

I don't intend to sound as if I'm arguing with you. So please don’t take it that way. I respect the fact you been doing this much longer than me, and have the experience.

The Mobius app can be useful, but you basically never use it. I've had a lot of success with jebao stuff.

The wave makers though I don't find comparable to MP10s. They're much louder, and the cords in the tank sucks. However MP10s can't be angled and are extremely expensive.

My display i use a MP40.and a Red Sea gyre. The gyre has a cord, but I never notice it visually. However it's a pita every time I need to the lid off.

If you can get the other wave makers on a tank wall that's black you don't noticed the cords if you run them well.

The Mobius app can be useful, but you basically never use it. I've had a lot of success with jebao stuff.

The wave makers though I don't find comparable to MP10s. They're much louder, and the cords in the tank sucks. However MP10s can't be angled and are extremely expensive.

My display i use a MP40.and a Red Sea gyre. The gyre has a cord, but I never notice it visually. However it's a pita every time I need to the lid off.

If you can get the other wave makers on a tank
wall that's black you don't noticed the cords if you run them well.

If I didn't have a biocube I could put mine on the back wall no problem. However I can't mount any on my back wall with as it would have exterior magnets under water. So the cords are highly visible and in the way. On the 65 tank the lack of a back compartment means I can mount things all around the tank.

I understand the pain of having to remove the ones with cords in my cube takes longer to remove and put them back than to clean them. With the hinged lid my cords have to be ran through small holes in the back.

The mps are indeed very expensive, so I'm just keeping my eyes out for used ones at bargin price. Another mp10 & mp40 are on my wish list yet I'm not actively looking for them.

In the short term I will either have to try and pick up one of these jebaos or put the hygger one back in I have.

If I didn't have a biocube I could put mine on the back wall no problem. However I can't mount any on my back wall with as it would have exterior magnets under water. So the cords are highly visible and in the way. On the 65 tank the lack of a back compartment means I can mount things all around the tank.

I understand the pain of having to remove the ones with cords in my cube takes longer to remove and put them back than to clean them. With the hinged lid my cords have to be ran through small holes in the back.

The mps are indeed very expensive, so I'm just keeping my eyes out for used ones at bargin price. Another mp10 & mp40 are on my wish list yet I'm not actively looking for them.

In the short term I will either have to try and pick up one of these jebaos or put the hygger one back in I have.
Technically I think it's possible to mount with magnets in the overflow. I've not done it, but same way it's possible to have magnets in the tank (what's inside the power head) you can have encased ones in the overflow.

That being said, I think the jebao's use suction cups not magnets.

Technically I think it's possible to mount with magnets in the overflow. I've not done it, but same way it's possible to have magnets in the tank (what's inside the power head) you can have encased ones in the overflow.

That being said, I think the jebao's use suction cups not magnets.
I am doing this in my tank right now - magnet inside the overflow box. I just make sure to check it every few weeks for any damage or corrosion! Obvi not something you can do with ecotech pumps...

The SOW line of Jebao do actually use magnets, not sure about other lines - don't have experience with those but I assume they are also magnets.

I am a fan of larger/fewer. Fewer wires/bricks/outlets and things to clean and maintain. But mostly I get better flow moving larger quantities of water in big waves/gyres, rather than lots of little beams of water. Jake Adams and Dong talk a lot about flow this way, and I've had good results so far with it.

Not saying anything is wrong with lots of little pumps, obviously most people take that approach. Just offering a different point of view.

I am doing this in my tank right now - magnet inside the overflow box. I just make sure to check it every few weeks for any damage or corrosion! Obvi not something you can do with ecotech pumps...

The SOW line of Jebao do actually use magnets, not sure about other lines - don't have experience with those but I assume they are also magnets.

I am a fan of larger/fewer. Fewer wires/bricks/outlets and things to clean and maintain. But mostly I get better flow moving larger quantities of water in big waves/gyres, rather than lots of little beams of water. Jake Adams and Dong talk a lot about flow this way, and I've had good results so far with it.

Not saying anything is wrong with lots of little pumps, obviously most people take that approach. Just offering a different point of view.
Basicly my thoughts 4 cords in tank lots to clean and didn't look good

Just tried the Jebao PP-15 in my IM50 last night.

It's definitely not the right choice for that tank. I was immediately annoyed that the head would not stay put wherever I placed it. The hinges were loose it would just flop down. The next thing was that it was simply too much flow, even at the lowest setting. I placed it on the lower back side if the tank, maybe 4 inches above sand bed. Caused a huge plume of sand and detritus when I first turned it on which kind of sucked. Unfortunately, on the lowest setting, it was moving so much water, it was whipping my gonis and euphillia that are toward the front of the opposite end. So I took it out and for now it's an expensive salt drum mixer.

Just tried the Jebao PP-15 in my IM50 last night.

It's definitely not the right choice for that tank. I was immediately annoyed that the head would not stay put wherever I placed it. The hinges were loose it would just flop down. The next thing was that it was simply too much flow, even at the lowest setting. I placed it on the lower back side if the tank, maybe 4 inches above sand bed. Caused a huge plume of sand and detritus when I first turned it on which kind of sucked. Unfortunately, on the lowest setting, it was moving so much water, it was whipping my gonis and euphillia that are toward the front of the opposite end. So I took it out and for now it's an expensive salt drum mixer.
Good to know. Maybe that one is better for crushed coral or bare bottom. I do know what u mean about it floping down, I had one that did that stayed where you put it until the second you turned away from itm

Wait for your tank to grow in for 2-3 years and those colonies lower on the rock are being shielded from flow. The smaller wavemakers are for pointing at the rock, the big ones are for moving the large volumes of water around the rock. I found you needed both to keep the tank really packed with coral.

As for cleaning, just don't clean them as often, lol.

1718905820062.png

I added my orginal hygger mini wave maker on the oppsite side of the mp10, in short flow has greatly increased. And i'm noticing all the sps, is starting to color up again, the walt Disney, pc rainbow, and vivid confetti are starting to encrust. The adam bomb compention peice is hanging on by a thread after I broke off the dead tip. The adam bomb that's a bit more chunky is visiblely regaining its color.

The BIGGEST ISSUE I need help with is shown in the pictures. There is red I'm guessing it's cyanobacteria idk at this point. Its directly in the path of both wave makers so I wouldn't expect it to be from a lack of flow. It is very tight to the rock and doesn't move at all in the current.

A.) 2 weeks ago I used fritz slime out no effect.
B.) This week I used chemiclean moderate effect as it seemed to become thinner than it was but hasn't been eradicated. My rbtas and trachyphyllia have grow super puffy almost like show peices within a day of using chemiclean.

* The extremely strange part is. This red stuff is 100% invisible without orange filter glasses on. It doesn't matter if its blue lights or white lights just can't see it without the glasses on.

1.) I have the biocube uv sterilizer I haven't ran in the tank in over a year would reinstalling it help this at all?

2.) Should I continue with chemiclean methods?

** my concern is this red stuff is effecting many of the sps from actually being able to encrust as it's surrounding their bases. The ones that I mentioned are encrusting don't have much of the red stuff around their bases. It’s the same red stuff that was in the tips of the sps, yet in a different non flowing form.

Things are looking much better thanks to the advice from many here. I just really wanna deal with whatever this red stuff is before It gets out of hand. It doesn't seem to be getting worse yet isn't going away at either.
20240701_221529.jpg
20240701_221634.jpg

Last edited:
Back