Our mission

Red stuff acropora tips?

I added my orginal hygger mini wave maker on the oppsite side of the mp10, in short flow has greatly increased. And i'm noticing all the sps, is starting to color up again, the walt Disney, pc rainbow, and vivid confetti are starting to encrust. The adam bomb compention peice is hanging on by a thread after I broke off the dead tip. The adam bomb that's a bit more chunky is visiblely regaining its color.

The BIGGEST ISSUE I need help with is shown in the pictures. There is red I'm guessing it's cyanobacteria idk at this point. Its directly in the path of both wave makers so I wouldn't expect it to be from a lack of flow. It is very tight to the rock and doesn't move at all in the current.

A.) 2 weeks ago I used fritz slime out no effect.
B.) This week I used chemiclean moderate effect as it seemed to become thinner than it was but hasn't been eradicated. My rbtas and trachyphyllia have grow super puffy almost like show peices within a day of using chemiclean.

* The extremely strange part is. This red stuff is 100% invisible without orange filter glasses on. It doesn't matter if its blue lights or white lights just can't see it without the glasses on.

1.) I have the biocube uv sterilizer I haven't ran in the tank in over a year would reinstalling it help this at all?

2.) Should I continue with chemiclean methods?

** my concern is this red stuff is effecting many of the sps from actually being able to encrust as it's surrounding their bases. The ones that I mentioned are encrusting don't have any of the red stuff around their bases. It’s the same red stuff that was in the tips of the sps, yet in a different non flowing form.

Things are looking much better thanks to the advice from many here. I just really wanna deal with whatever this red stuff is before It gets out of hand. It doesn't seem to be getting worse yet isn't going away at either.View attachment 58019View attachment 58020
Does it blow off with a turkey baster? If not then I'm guessing algae growth on the dead tips vs cyano. Cut the dead tips (cut just below into live flesh). Once that's the hopefully the added flow will keep new algae from growing onto the tips.

Does it blow off with a turkey baster? If not then I'm guessing algae growth on the dead tips vs cyano. Cut the dead tips (cut just below into live flesh). Once that's the hopefully the added flow will keep new algae from growing onto the tips.
I did just that as others have advised. Only on two sps have I seen the tiniest bit coming back. I'm thinking I prehaps didn't remove enough of their tips as you stated. I may have to go back and clip off a little more.

The stuff that was on the tips blows away with turkey baster. However the stuff on the rock doesn't move at all almost like coralline algae, yet it's definitely not coralline. I have some coralline algae in a few places in the tank and it's visible without the orange glasses, this stuff isn't.

You’re putting chemicals in your tank (with happy acros) to treat something that can’t be seen with the naked eye….is that what I’m reading?

:p

My rocks are covered in something very similar, I think you’re just looking at harmless algae growth. Everything looks different with orange glasses on. I wouldn’t worry about it!

Last edited:
You’re putting chemicals in your tank (with happy acros) to treat something that can’t be seen with the naked eye….is that what I’m reading?

:p

My rocks are covered in something very similar, I think you’re just looking at harmless algae growth. Everything looks different with orange glasses on. I wouldn’t worry about it!

Dang lol sounds like I’m crazy when you put it that way :p

Lmao, call it concern because I saw videos of cyano killing other peoples tanks. But if you have similar and it's not effecting yours makes me relax a heck of a lot.

Was really worried it could be one of those things where it's fine until it isn't

Last edited:
Other colors of coralline exist besides purple. Yellow, blue, grey and red. From others I’ve talked to, red seems to be on the rise in reefers’ tanks (of course this is a limited small size of reefers I talk to).

I have red coralline almost entirely in my tank.

IMG_2410.jpeg

IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2411.jpeg

Other colors of coralline exist besides purple. Yellow, blue, grey and red. From others I’ve talked to, red seems to be on the rise in reefers’ tanks (of course this is a limited small size of reefers I talk to).

I have red coralline almost entirely in my tank.

View attachment 58024
View attachment 58025View attachment 58026

That's definitely how it looks but different shade of red. Only can see it with glasses on. All over the snails and crabs shells as well. Only in the areas where I have the waves makers hitting directly.

I guess I ruled it out because I can't see it without the filters. In the past I didn't need glasses to see it.

I had asterinas really bad before I added harlequin shrimp and they ate all the coralline. After the shrimp I haven't seen a asterina in 2-3 months(feeding it Chocolate chips now.)

So maybe it's just some different shadeof coralline starting to return.

Dang lol sounds like I’m crazy when you put it that way :p

Yes :D

Lmao, call it concern because I saw videos of cyano killing other peoples tanks. But if you have similar and it's not effecting yours makes me relax a heck of a lot.

Was really worried it could be one of those things where it's fine until it isn't

It's not cyano, it shares no properties with cyano whatsoever. Cyano is red to the naked eye, blows away with a turkey baster, hates high flow, and is stringy and loose. Why do you think it is cyano?

Yes :D

It's not cyano, it shares no properties with cyano whatsoever. Cyano is red to the naked eye, blows away with a turkey baster, hates high flow, and is stringy and loose. Why do you think it is cyano?

I assumed (making a a** out of u and me - I've heard it put lol) because it had the same color shade as the stuff on acro tips. Though I could see the stuff on the tips without glasses on. Meh I guess I really was over thinking things and missed the obvious differences.

I assumed (making a a** out of u and me - I've heard it put lol) because it had the same color shade as the stuff on acro tips. Though I could see the stuff on the tips without glasses on. Meh I guess I really was over thinking things and missed the obvious differences.

I'm just giving you a hard time - glad to hear your acros are finally happy again!

Even if it was Cyanobacteria, they don't really kill anything so long as you blast them off occasionally so light isn't blocked. It's more of an ugly thing vs. dinos which definitely can kill things.

Careful with the videos out there, majority of youtubers are just as inexperienced as a new reefer, or they're trying to sell you something. Just keep asking here, we'll try to let you know everything we know, or where you can find the right place to get some information.

Even if it was Cyanobacteria, they don't really kill anything so long as you blast them off occasionally so light isn't blocked. It's more of an ugly thing vs. dinos which definitely can kill things.

Careful with the videos out there, majority of youtubers are just as inexperienced as a new reefer, or they're trying to sell you something. Just keep asking here, we'll try to let you know everything we know, or where you can find the right place to get some information.

Thanks for your prospective, it does come out to alot to sort through, the videos can be helpful yet also can make things more confusing. You guys help me alot.

Back