Our mission

Reef Hobbyist 40B

Its been a while updating build... but I've had a lot of changes/additions lately.

tumblr_nj4c2i2kl21tbt0zro1_540.jpg

Purchased a 54w (18 * 3w) Hydroponics LED for the ATS. Its super bright and powerful, had to add a mesh in between to diffuse the light. Last week I decided to remove the lenses (60deg) so it spreads better (120deg lens-less)

tumblr_nj4c2i2kl21tbt0zro3_250.jpg
tumblr_nj4c2i2kl21tbt0zro2_250.jpg

Growth in just over a week after new lights...
tumblr_inline_njc6tyrvgH1sc62k6.jpg

more to come...

Nice! do you have a link to where you got the light? I was looking at one of those on e-bay a little while back.
$22.99 on Amazon... That's the cheapest you can get (cheaper than eBay) :)

Lvjing[emoji768] High Power 54W E27 Screw Base LED Grow Light Blue + Red for Indoor Flowering Plant and Hydroponics System Plant Lights AC 85-265V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QGMB3F2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ZeO9ub1FR99JP
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QGMB3F2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ZeO9ub1FR99JP

Next big update is switching my lights... I've been running a Kessil A350W and switched to a Chinese Blackbox. Couple of reasons I switched:

1. Blackbox had more than 2x the PAR of my Kessil
2. 3 separate channels + built-in timers per channel + remote control
3. I could change out lenses on specific/all LEDs to either go wide with less PAR or narrow with high par
4. Costs less than half of my A350

The only negative about these lights are that the shimmer is not as good as the Kessil (and I'm sure Kessil has better PUR, etc.),

tumblr_njygbownTF1tbt0zro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_njjmtk4aWJ1tbt0zro4_1280.jpg

This is the LED layout:

10622783_833042940082355_8578728552378450128_n.jpg

Also its common to have an algae bloom after switching to these lights and I'm going through that now! Will post FTSs soon...

WIth your algae scrubber going, do you have to scrub the glass at all?
I scrub my glass once a week, and only a few patches...

With the new lights I'm having a little more than normal GHA outbreak and hoping it dies off as the tank acclimates to the new light.

Nav - did you completely remove your Kessil and only running these new lights? Did you sell the Kessil? It seems like algae outbreak occurs whenever we make any type of changes to our tanks - I just flipped over a rock and algae!! Looking forward to seeing the difference your new lights make.....

Figured I'll post my frag swap loot here so I keep track...

Green Pavona
DSC_8543.JPG

Green Cyphastrea
DSC_8545.JPG

Green Purple Pocillopora
DSC_8551.JPG

Montipora Sentosa
DSC_8557.JPG

Green Star Polyps (Free table)
DSC_8563.JPG

Green Candy/Trumpet
DSC_8564.JPG

Orange Psamacora (DBTC)
DSC_8566.jpg

Last edited:
So far I’ve been using a Salifert Phosphate test kit and tested a few times on Hanna with a few reefer friends.

Recently picked up this sweet Hanna HI 93713 Phosphate Checker from a local reefer. Its a very old piece that was mfg. 2004 and came with reagents expiring 2010.

I read online that reagents can be swapped & Jon (@jonmos) was kind enough to give me a HI 736-25 reagent to try out. I also gave my DT water sample to Jon to test in his device. Got 0.04ppm both on my device & Jon’s :) Going to order reagents now...

tumblr_nlr38jOuU41tbt0zro1_1280.jpg

Is your scoly still doing good?
Nope, couple of months ago it started receding and I housed it in Alfred's tank for a while and it recovered completely. Recently (either cos of change in light or salt) it started receding again and it was not worth the risk again so I sold it :( It was a super bright piece!

Back