Neptune Aquatics

Reef Pi - open source IOTA (Internet of things for Aquairum)

Prince Shah

Supporting Member
I was banking on buying GHL vs Apex and then I did some more research. I stumbled upeon Reef Pi. Here is the link if you guys have not heard about it yet https://reef-pi.github.io/

Also, there is a plug and play kit to leverage the Reef Pi :

Did any one tried it ? any experience or feedback ?

Hmm the cost quickly adds up.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.58.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.58.49 PM.png
    287.4 KB · Views: 234
yeah if it cost $623 to get that going... makes it a hard push for a DIY solution. I mean sure you can always argue open source as a value option, but for me... not so much

Although upon further inspection, it looks like one of those $220 dohickies is the whole controller + power bar, so your list looks like you're ordering 2 controllers, plus a separate reef pi system, of course I may be missing something. The "Robo tank" page isn't exactly updated clearly, it shows $115 for the DIY solder yourself kit, but then says $220 for it too.

Last edited:
It’s not unusual for people to sell kits you can build for $$.

The true diy is busting out a soldiering iron and making your own power distribution. I just hope it doesn’t catch on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t seen him around here in quite a while but the inventor @Ranjib Dey is/was a BAR member
He’s on r2r way more but he does live in the bay somewhere. I’ve met him at one of the coral farmer’s markets; he’s a cool guy. He tries to be very helpful to everyone but I think it’s gotten bigger than he can manage as one guy with a separate full time job.

yeah if it cost $623 to get that going... makes it a hard push for a DIY solution. I mean sure you can always argue open source as a value option, but for me... not so much

Although upon further inspection, it looks like one of those $220 dohickies is the whole controller + power bar, so your list looks like you're ordering 2 controllers, plus a separate reef pi system, of course I may be missing something. The "Robo tank" page isn't exactly updated clearly, it shows $115 for the DIY solder yourself kit, but then says $220 for it too.

$220 one is the one which has power monitoring build in. The regular one does not haven’t have capability. And I m planning to get two as I have lot of gear to plug in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if this thing goes down, there’s no support community help you with troubleshoot ideas.
Wouldn't be surprised if there is a community out there to help. I mean there are a surprising number of people who are tinkers that feel that making something is more fun than just buying something.

Back