High Tide Aquatics

Reefer 170 reborn

Played with new iphone today and took couple new pics of my tank:
img_0052.jpg

img_0050.jpg

Played with new iphone today and took couple new pics of my tank:

wow! Seeing what you’ve done is a needed boost of early-stage motivation for me.

When you say “played with my new iPhone today” I’m curious what your using. Camera app or settings you can tell us about? Or are you using a clip-on filter?

I've been reading your journal from page one. Thanks for logging your progress. It's reassuring--as I'm currently pushing through ugly phase and dinos, getting bored waiting of being patient--that there's an end to this early stage. I'm in month 6 currently. My dino bloom is subsiding. I'm brushing everything down (rockscape) this weekend, doing a big clean-out, and on to the next chapter, fingers crossed. Coralline in my tank is beginning to take hold. There's that green-stage all over and purple patches popping up here and there on it.

One variable that I didn't see in your thread that I'm curious what your ideas are is in regards to your lighting. For my tank, my diatom bloom has responded to eliminating all red spectrum from my light (Radion); I've also reduced lighting to 8 hours and at a lower intensity.

Any thoughts about how the your lighting may have contributed to your diatoms? Have you adjusted your spectrum?

I never changed light spectrum. The diatoms was result of silica in the RO water - I missed the change of carbon filters and even the RO showed 0 tds it had enough silica to feed diatoms. Once I changed filters it was gone pretty quick. How do you know that you have dinos? Did you check it with microscope?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I missed the change of carbon filters and even the RO showed 0 tds it had enough silica to feed diatoms. Once I changed filters it was gone pretty quick.

Interesting... and a cheap filter to replace.

How do you know that you have dinos? Did you check it with microscope?

I don't know for certain. I don't have a microscope (yet). I understand dinos to be common in new systems so I assumed that's the case for me, based on my observation of dusty red-brown particles collecting on my rock and sand. I blast it off of the rock in the AM and PM with a turkey baster and a filter sock sweeps it up. Water changes are auto and 8% per week.

UH OH -- Am I confusing "dinos" with "diatoms"?

Last edited:
Back