Jestersix

Return pump questions

100 gallon. I was looking at the maxspect jump and the hygger I dont know much about hygger pumps. But I know they heaters are really good

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I see a lot of ecotech L1 and M1 pumps go for around $200-$250 they are the older model but they still work great
I do not think m1 is enough for 100g tank. You will need ~1000gph flow. Vectra l1 did not give me more than 650gph on my plumbing head pressure.
My advice is to invest in a good pump, your system will be as healthy as good your return flow rate is. otherwise no matter how good skimmer and filtration u add in the sump your system will not keep up with nutrients export. So save money by spending money. I tried many dc and ac pumps. Only dc pumps that stands out was abyzz and red dragon so I settled on red fragon.
Otherwise go with ac pumps like syncra if you want to save cost, they perform much better than low to mid end dc pumps against head pressure.

Also do not just look at the data sheet of a pump for flow rate, you will be suprised how quick dc pumps flow rate collapse once you add your plumbing head pressure.

I think the value of controlability with dc pumps wtr to their cost is overrated and soon you stop caring, so if you are cost sensitive go with ac pump and avoid what I did, wasting money on low to mid cost range dc pumps.
If you want all bells and whistles and dc pump go red dragon cause abyzz is too expensive...
My 2 cents..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My opinions:

Most any brand medium quality DC pumps will be fine.

If you are worried about failure, DUAL return pumps are the solution.
Even abyzz pumps occasionally fail. Redundancy is the solution, not over-paying.

Buy 1.5X what you think need.
It is surprising how much flow you lose in plumbing and head pressure.
Running pump at 75% reduces noise and likelihood of failure, and allows for cranking it up if
you realize later you need more flow.

My opinions:

Most any brand medium quality DC pumps will be fine.

If you are worried about failure, DUAL return pumps are the solution.
Even abyzz pumps occasionally fail. Redundancy is the solution, not over-paying.

Buy 1.5X what you think need.
It is surprising how much flow you lose in plumbing and head pressure.
Running pump at 75% reduces noise and likelihood of failure, and allows for cranking it up if
you realize later you need more flow.

Indeed, when I say perfom I mean flowrate not failed safe or not.
What you recommend a flow rate target?
100%agree on getting more than you need. Down the line it's almost certain u need more than u thought ha ha

Indeed, when I say perfom I mean flowrate not failed safe or not.
What you recommend a flow rate target?

I think he means if you want to buy a return pump that is 2,000 go with one that is 3,000 GPH because after plumbing it will be around the 2,000 GPH

I'm always thinking about buying a backup but never have. Currently using a Coralife Turbo-Sea 1090 return for my 120 gallon (only has a single drain, if it had dual I might have upped the pump power). I bought got it used with the tank, so don't know how many years was on it before me, but for me it's been running continuous for 9 years already. I've only cleaned it out once, and just clean and vacuum the external fan blade and vent once a year or two. Sorry not of much help, but I'm wondering how reliable pumps are these days expensive vs cheap ones.

I'm always thinking about buying a backup but never have. Currently using a Coralife Turbo-Sea 1090 return for my 120 gallon (only has a single drain, if it had dual I might have upped the pump power). I bought got it used with the tank, so don't know how many years was on it before me, but for me it's been running continuous for 9 years already. I've only cleaned it out once, and just clean and vacuum the external fan blade and vent once a year or two. Sorry not of much help, but I'm wondering how reliable pumps are these days expensive vs cheap ones.
Good pumps like red dragon are solid pumps.
My skimmer red dragon is working for 4 years and my current return rds3 100 watt is working for almost a year, while still early to judge,is solid.
Reviews on these german pumps are overwhelmingly positive.

The problem with low to mid tier pumps especially the dc pumps is that all come from the same vendor in China like (hipool motors in Shenzhen ;)). The core part is the same, the vendor just put their outer plastic, maybe change cable connector and slap a logo.
So in my opnion they all have similar performance, good and bad.
But German motors like abyzz and red dragon they design and manufacture everything in house and their standards are solid...

Last edited:
Back