Cali Kid Corals

Return pump state

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
If my return pump is slowly getting dirty over time and pushing less water - is that a condition that the Apex will detect via power monitoring? Will the pump start to use more power as it gets dirty?

If my return pump is slowly getting dirty over time and pushing less water - is that a condition that the Apex will detect via power monitoring? Will the pump start to use more power as it gets dirty?
Yes, power will change as it gets dirty. According to brs, power consumption goes down, which is counter intuitive. Power monitoring will allow you to see the change, but the apex won't do anything with that information unless you program it to. You can program it to alarm once it hits a certain value, or whatever you like.

Thanks. I do have the alerts setup around power usage limits and I know they would catch something like a snail getting stuck in the pump. Was just wondering about the slow effects of accumulated dirt.

I would use the term fouling rather than dirt, but that’s me being picky.
You could put a flow meter inline, by that’s just something else you’ll need to fight the resistance of.
An easy way to estimate flow loss is to measure the time it takes you return to fill a gallon container (or whatever size as appropriate), clean it, and then repeat.

Thanks. I do have the alerts setup around power usage limits and I know they would catch something like a snail getting stuck in the pump. Was just wondering about the slow effects of accumulated dirt.
Yes, you will see it gradually change over time

Back