Neptune Aquatics

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Just be careful of what chemicals you add to your aquarium. Side effects don’t show up right away. It takes a few months. Example is chemiclean. To get rid of cyano. But Dino’s will follow.
I used reef flux because I didn’t feel like a tank of Bryopsis but I know not to add anything else in re: cyano.

Cut a block of coarse foam/sponge the size of the chamber, then hog out the cube of foam/sponge to rest your pump inside.
I only had enough foam to cover the aio chamber but I never have problems with small snails, only big ones.
E8CE6CF6-4EE0-419F-9874-AD1FE172B5DC.jpeg

What's all the new stuff?
Corals:
Free dying anacro I'm attempting to save, $9.99 green slimer with great PE, free birdsnest that @Ragglefraggle didn't want anymore,
Equipment changed:
Downgraded my wavemaker MLW-30 to MLW-10. Everyone seems happier.
I'm swapping from foam to filter floss for better clarity.

Current stocking:
2x frozen frostbite clowns, 1x royal gramma, 1x bicolor blenny, 1x cleaner shrimp, possibly a tiger pistol that I haven't seen in a month.
Green acro, birdsnest, purple stylo, anacro, purple monti, other monti, purple/pink hammer, green/purple hammer, green/grey goni, purple candy cane.

Equipment:
Aqueon 40 Breeder
FijiCube DIY AIO
NooPsyche K7 V3
Aqueon Pro 200W
Smart ATO Lite
Amazon grow led strips
Jebao MDP-2500
Jebao MLW-10
3D printed copecabana
3D printed RFG return nozzles
AA xl frag rack
Aquatic fundamentals stand

Found the smaller clownfish jumped out while I made breakfast. I chucked him back in and he’s swimming weirdly. I’m hoping he can recover like his clownfish wife that jumped out and is still alive.

Edit 1: clownfish is now behaving normally and acting already.

Edit 2: bigger clownfish make him jump a second time and I did not find him in time. Bummer.

Last edited:
No disrespect, but I can’t tell if you serious about reef keeping or are you trolling us?
Excuse me? Why would I spend this much time and effort to troll a small local club? Did you reply to the wrong thread?

Im just posting the trials and tribulations of my tank as I go. This journal is as much for me as it is for advice from BAR.

I’m just waiting on a lid kit that I kept putting off. I knew leaving my oversized glass lid off was risky but not quite this risky.

Last edited:
Back