got ethical husbandry?

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Id remove the bubble for sure. Sponge is ok. They can start growing everywhere if you feed heavy, but one isn't an issue. They can take over your sump, pluming and overflows if there is enough food for them, but they really are just a maintenance issue. Feeding a little less dirty will starve them out, like not using reef roads, reef chill, etc. I'd keep it personally.

You also have a ton of Spirorbid Worms (small white swirly dots - also filter feeders like the sponge) and tube worms and what could be a Vermitid snail (purple tube worm looking thing). That is a lot of stuff in one photo for a new tank. That a frag or rock from another tank? If those are showing up in that density in your tank this early, you are feeding a little heavy. Are they all over everything else?

Watch the purple tube. If a fan does not come out of it, destroy it. It could be a fan worm or a vermited snail until you see the head judging from the photo.

Id remove the bubble for sure. Sponge is ok. They can start growing everywhere if you feed heavy, but one isn't an issue. They can take over your sump, pluming and overflows if there is enough food for them, but they really are just a maintenance issue. Feeding a little less dirty will starve them out, like not using reef roads, reef chill, etc. I'd keep it personally.

You also have a ton of Spirorbid Worms (small white swirly dots - also filter feeders like the sponge) and tube worms and what could be a Vermitid snail (purple tube worm looking thing). That is a lot of stuff in one photo for a new tank. That a frag or rock from another tank? If those are showing up in that density in your tank this early, you are feeding a little heavy. Are they all over everything else?

Watch the purple tube. If a fan does not come out of it, destroy it. It could be a fan worm or a vermited snail until you see the head judging from the photo.
It’s @Srt4eric ’s gold torch I bought at the last CFM. I’ll remove the tube worms and the bubble algae asap. Sporbid worms aren’t very plentiful in my tank.

Yasha goby disappeared from its initial hiding spot so I’m hoping it found my pistol shrimp. They live in the hardest to see cave facing my wall. So probably the last I’ll see of it for a while.

E43FFCD4-31BC-4B82-A074-94CAE589F855.jpeg
2BEFC90F-2F7B-4FDE-A2DD-E8B9AA23680F.jpeg

Tank doesn't look that bad at all, just looks like a newer tank to me. Your Acro frags are still holding on which means you are doing good.

Tank doesn't look that bad at all, just looks like a newer tank to me. Your Acro frags are still holding on which means you are doing good.
They have like no PE but are visibly encrusting so I’ll take that as a win. Thanks again for your sump juice, I think it’s helping!

I think you should add some more easy fast growing corals in there. You don't have to keep them forever if you place them in the tank with the plan to remove them later (like mounted to a rock you can remove). Fast growth coral frags are plentiful and there will be new reeferes in a few months that would gladly take them off your hands and you get to be a giver vs. receiver. Just avoid some of the stuff that is a pain in the butt to remove unless you plan for them like Xenia/GSP on an isolated rock. Will give you something to watch grow, they consume nutrients, cover area where algae will want to grow and they must help with the succession of the tank if it is only the succession of your own skills. I see no reason to not put some easy frags in there knowing full well you will give them away in 8 months.

I will be doing that on my next batch of corals once I move and make room in the QT tank.

I think you should add some more easy fast growing corals in there. You don't have to keep them forever if you place them in the tank with the plan to remove them later (like mounted to a rock you can remove). Fast growth coral frags are plentiful and there will be new reeferes in a few months that would gladly take them off your hands and you get to be a giver vs. receiver. Just avoid some of the stuff that is a pain in the butt to remove unless you plan for them like Xenia/GSP on an isolated rock. Will give you something to watch grow, they consume nutrients, cover area where algae will want to grow and they must help with the succession of the tank if it is only the succession of your own skills. I see no reason to not put some easy frags in there knowing full well you will give them away in 8 months.

I will be doing that on my next batch of corals once I move and make room in the QT tank.
I agree, now that coral usually survives in my tank (including acros), I might grab some cheaper frags to pass along in the future.

I tested the Hanna alkalinity reagent stability issue. Old 3/23 reagent open for a month? 8.3-8.5. New 6/23 reagent freshly opened? 8.4. Seems stable enough to me.

Edit: just noticed my 1.5month old healthy, rapidly growing Goni died overnight. WTF?
5F456CE3-DC9E-42C6-B810-05860CDC4125.jpeg

I agree, now that coral usually survives in my tank (including acros), I might grab some cheaper frags to pass along in the future.

I tested the Hanna alkalinity reagent stability issue. Old 3/23 reagent open for a month? 8.3-8.5. New 6/23 reagent freshly opened? 8.4. Seems stable enough to me.

Edit: just noticed my 1.5month old healthy, rapidly growing Goni died overnight. WTF?View attachment 39353
Because it's a goni

Just realized I bought the wrong ink bird, the metal tipped non removable probe one and am using it in saltwater. My planted tank uses the correct model. How urgently do I have to swap these if I dont see any rust?

My tiger pistol shrimp came out for the first time in 3 months since I added him to the tank. Super excited! Yasha goby paired with him pretty quickly after a light spook from its shrimp-less hiding place.

Back