got ethical husbandry?

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Confirmed that I just have GHA and not Bryopsis. Reef flux did work!
5D38BDF7-7460-4A89-9E25-079662F737DF.jpeg

Alk has slowly dropped from low 10s high 9s to high 7s. I think it’s time to start daily dosing all for reef! I’m going to go slowly and get a doser to spread it out
79E530B3-AAB3-43E1-BCD7-C9A3C3D02469.jpeg

I updated the first post with my latest stocking and equipment so my journal is formatted better.

Tank specs: Aqueon 40 breeder
Filter: Fiji Cube DIY AIO insert with floss, sock, carbon, Tunze 9004 DC skimmer, Aqueon Pro 200W heater, Biohome ultimate media, AqutoAqua Smart ATO lite, Jebao MDP-2500 return pump, inkbird controlling the heater and tank fan.
Lighting: NooPsyche K7 V3
Flow: RFG return, Jebao MLW-30, Jebao MLW-10 with nem guards

Stocking: Frozen frostbite clownfish, equisite firefish, bicolor blenny, yasha goby, fake hawkfish, skunk cleaner shrimp, and tiger pistol shrimp.

Corals: Rainbow acan, rainbow goni, green and blue goni, other green and blue goni, purple goni, blue birdsnest, orange and bleached monti, green and red monti, purple sytlo, green acro, purple and green acro, branching cyphastria, green and blue acro, gold torch, pruple and pink hammer, green and purple frammer.

Full tank shots:
B97A96C5-08DC-41D0-A292-466A46D69FBB.jpeg
0DA07F8D-9592-4989-A10C-31674B161A34.jpeg
ABC23E31-31FE-44A2-8F66-FA2A3EADDF36.jpeg

I really need to get an orange filter.

Last edited:
I ordered a Jebao DM 4.4 quad head dosing pump for when I go on vacation so my family doesnt have to dose A/B+, phyto, and AFR. Plus I can have AFR spread throughout the day instead of spiking it every few days. Truthfully I'm just getting sick of manual broadcast feeding and I want the extra stability. Unfortunately eBay was 3x the price of AliExpress so it will get here in a month which is a bit annoying.

I ordered a Jebao DM 4.4 quad head dosing pump for when I go on vacation so my family doesnt have to dose A/B+, phyto, and AFR. Plus I can have AFR spread throughout the day instead of spiking it every few days. Truthfully I'm just getting sick of manual broadcast feeding and I want the extra stability. Unfortunately eBay was 3x the price of AliExpress so it will get here in a month which is a bit annoying.
LMK if you want a single head to hold you over while you wait.

I had a hard time trying to adjust AFR dose. I ended up with a hybrid approach, using AFR and the 2-parts concurrently. I'm currently dosing 12mil AFR and 8ml Soda Ash. I adjust the soda ash as needed to keep the Alk constant. Adjusting soda ash is a lot more straightforward compared to AFR. there is no precise calculator for AFR that i know off.

Why am i making things more complicated? As you can imagine i have 4 dose pumps - AFR, Alk, Ca, Mg. i am using AFR instead of dosing Trace separately. Main reason for the complicated setup is because i was hoping to simplify life and just go with AFR. Guess that didn't work as planned.

My acros are finally starting to encrust! I think it's the increased stability and maturity of the tank. How many months should I keep these test pieces growing before I should feel comfortable with medium end acros @jhuynh?

ALK is holding stable via AFR around the upper 8s. I want it around 9 so it swings less when I WC. My doser is set to 10ML/day and I think that should trend alk upward. I’m testing around the same time daily.

CEDF6ECE-D6F3-4B40-93EF-ABC73AEDF693.jpeg

Last edited:
Params:
Par 125 (sand) to 225 (top of rocks)
Ph: 8.3ish
dKH: 8.8
Calc: 420
Mag: 1500
Temp: 78
Salinity 1.026/35ppt
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0

I'm assuming these are fine besides no N&P? I'm overfeeding to the point a quarter of the frozen food is going to waste.

ALK is holding stable via AFR around the upper 8s. I want it around 9 so it swings less when I WC. My doser is set to 10ML/day and I think that should trend alk upward. I’m testing around the same time daily.

View attachment 39651
Alk is steady at 8.8 via 10ML of AFR. My temp doser only does once a day so I test in the mornings before it doses.

Reef crystals mixed for 30 mins is testing at 10.5. I’m hoping it drops down to 9.5 after more mixing.

Last edited:
if you are able to dose a certain amount over the course of 24 hours instead of all at once in the morning, it will be better for more stability.
My nicer jebao doser is in transit so I’m borrowing Mike’s TS1 doser which unfortunately can only dose once per day for amounts under 11ml.

Edit: did a 20G WC to eliminate some surface foam and now my alk is at 9.4.
Should I let it drop back to 8.8 or maintain 9.5 so it swings less from WCs?

Last edited:
My nicer jebao doser is in transit so I’m borrowing Mike’s TS1 doser which unfortunately can only dose once per day for amounts under 11ml.

Edit: did a 20G WC to eliminate some surface foam and now my alk is at 9.4.
Should I let it drop back to 8.8 or maintain 9.5 so it swings less from WCs?
You’re overthinking. Small occasional swing from water change are no big deal. Maintain it in the mid to low 8s.
If you are going to have it higher you really also want higher ca, and mg, and def nitrate and phosphate as well

You’re overthinking. Small occasional swing from water change are no big deal. Maintain it in the mid to low 8s.
If you are going to have it higher you really also want higher ca, and mg, and def nitrate and phosphate as well
Glad to hear, thank you! I will maintain 8s as best I can.

Back