got ethical husbandry?

Rygh's 250 gallon - Rev 3

I would probably just toss a pump in the sump with a hose that goes to the beginning and put the end in a filter sock and with the main return pump off just let that one pump push water through the sock from the sump only, or just tee off your return pump with some valves and the faster the better to make sure detritus gets suspended.

I would probably just toss a pump in the sump with a hose that goes to the beginning and put the end in a filter sock and with the main return pump off just let that one pump push water through the sock from the sump only, or just tee off your return pump with some valves and the faster the better to make sure detritus gets suspended.

Hmm, a big confusing, but I think you are basically saying - make a small vacuum cleaner in the sump.
Not a bad plan.

oh wait.. u are using auto water change?
Yes/No.

I have been doing small manual water changes to siphon detritus yes.

I have an auto water exchange yes, but it is currently broken again.
The salt-in keeps clogging up, so it pumps out but not in, and I get a pretty quick
drop in salinity when that happens.

salt.jpeg

Hmm, a big confusing, but I think you are basically saying - make a small vacuum cleaner in the sump.
Not a bad plan.
Yeah basically. The idea is if you have a manifold off your return pump AND a ball valve you could just push the water through ONLY your sump, less head pressure so you'd move more water, and less volume so you should be able to push quite a few turnovers through your filter sock in a relatively low amount of time.

Now if you don't have the above setup, you can still do the same thing just turn off your return pump, and do it with a separate pump.

Either way you don't have the issues of a filter sock that possibly gets over gunked up and not changed out quickly enough on your tank, but you can polish up the water, combine that with the protein skimmer working and you'll have super clean sump water you push it back through the tank :D

Circling back to the co2 topic; I’ve given some serious thought to a living wall. I had a customer that had one in their home and thought it was pretty cool. Of course they had a service come in to install and maintain it.

Circling back to the co2 topic; I’ve given some serious thought to a living wall. I had a customer that had one in their home and thought it was pretty cool. Of course they had a service come in to install and maintain it.

Hey you can plumb the rank to it and use it like a giant algae scrubber! Would be kinda stinky and messy but think of the nutrient export potential!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting idea.
I am skeptical one little wall makes much of difference though.
And then there are mold issues if done wrong.

I wasn’t thinking of plumbing them together. I don’t think there are any attractive plants that would grow with saltwater.
Interesting idea.
I am skeptical one little wall makes much of difference though.
And then there are mold issues if done wrong.
The one my customer had was probably 6’x8’ so not exactly a little wall.

Just some fun tank pictures.
One thing of note on the first one is how it is recovering and re-encrusting the areas that died during reboot.
I thought that coral was totally dead. A reminder to no give up right away.
c1.JPG c2.JPG c3.JPG c4.JPG c5.JPG c6JPG.JPG

Do you take the plugs off before adding corals to your QT?
In this case, no.
I should, but I don't always. Depends on how much time I have.
I think removing plugs makes the dip more effective, but otherwise does not matter all that much.

I never add the plugs to main tank though.

Not having a good week with equipment!
:mad:

One of the fans in my lights died.
(AI prime)

The Alk peristaltic pump died.
(Old litermeter3)

My skimmer pump died.
(Royal exclusive)

Seems like the lights and skimmer are under warranty. But we shall see how long all that takes...
I really do not want to ship my skimmer to Germany.

Peristaltic pump was ok.
Turned out to be a clogged Alk line.
Although it was overdue to clean and replace tubing anyway, so that was useful.

Skimmer has an RMA on pump controller. Response was quick, and they cross ship, so that was nice.

Back